I have a heavy tele copy made from poplar, it weights about as a gibson les paul standard.

Putting the (fender standard/cheap) strap on and off of the guitar for a year and a half I'm starting to notice a bit of wear around the hole on it.

The strap cost me €17 and a set of schaller's would cost me a bit less than that.

I very rarely gig with that guitar, and I'm wondering, will a set of straplock's avoid the strap holes from wearing, or am I exaggerating and the hole will not wear enough to be a problem?

Also, is there any valid but cheaper alternative to the schaller's?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Dude, they are like 12$, they are worth it even if they dont even do anything. But yes, i can tell you from experience, they are worth it. I had my guitar fall a bunch of times before i got them, and now they dont. Thats really all there is to it. I guess if you are not giging they are not THAT usefull for you, but still. I would not gig without them even once.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
They won't stop the wear on the strap hole but they will prevent it from slipping off.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
The only two flaws I've had with my 2 pairs of Schaller strap locks was with the the set on my PRS SE. This set I would take off after every practice as the guitar with the strap on wouldn't fit in the case. The problem was, after about a year, the felt ring on the bass side horn got a cut in it and was prone to slip out, and the lock itself would come loose every now and then. I wpuld just have to tighten the screw.

Honestly I would pay $30 for a set for the peace if mind.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
I would recommend the dunlop ones a million times over the schallers. But either way, yes, strap locks are always worth it. Install them on every instrument you own. Always.
I've always used schaller type locks & never had one fail me.

The other guitarist in my band has some Fender strap locks on his guitar. They fell off during a gig a couple of weeks back.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I have a set of Schaller strap lock son my 7 and knock of Schaller locks on my Iceman. They work very well. They don't prevent the strap from wearing and actually stretch out the hole a lot, but since they are locked onto the guitar that won't matter. I's a peace of mind thing. I've dropped guitars without locks a few times and luckily never damaged anything.

Though I'll admit lately I've been digging the new DiMarzio Clip Lock I put on my FR320.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Totally worth it. I have 3 guitars with Schallars and 2 with Dunlop's both work very well and which is better is completely personal preference
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Will Lane
I have some plastic locks that were like ~$1. They work.

+1, dunlop makes plastic ones that just fit over your existing strap button.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
+1, dunlop makes plastic ones that just fit over your existing strap button.

Use beer bottle caps also

Or the seal of a Grolsch bottle
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
the schallers works better than dunlops, cause even if the pivot pull out, the U-thing that hold the pin attached to guitar will stay. besides i cant stand the dunlop looks, strap being far away from the body...
Quote by 3Mb-Ry
the schallers works better than dunlops, cause even if the pivot pull out, the U-thing that hold the pin attached to guitar will stay. besides i cant stand the dunlop looks, strap being far away from the body...

Never had an issue with either type in over 20 yrs. Personally I prefer the Dunlop for their ease of use
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by 3Mb-Ry

I've had the exact opposite experience. Never an issue with the dunlops, and several issues, on different occasions, with different guitars, with the schallers.

Also, Dunlop makes a version that sits flush with the guitar body.
Quote by 3Mb-Ry

Yeah but you can recess the Dunlop locks, not the Schallers. I like the Dunlop design better in the end.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
I've used Schaller straplocks for 30 years. I have them on all my electric guitars. They are worth their weight in yak fat. Your straps will last forever and you will never drop your guitar mid-gig.
Don't be a tight-arse, buy some.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I've used Schaller straplocks for 30 years. I have them on all my electric guitars. They are worth their weight in yak fat. Your straps will last forever and you will never drop your guitar mid-gig.
Don't be a tight-arse, buy some.

i have too many guitars to have them all on. i think i have 8 with them. if its a guitar for playing in house recording i personally don't generally install them. but a guitar will NOT see the stage without straplocks.

IMO i feel that the schallers are better engineered, even if the lock were to fail, your instrument is still cradle the strap buttons.

installing them properly trumps the brand
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Definitely worth it. When I was a kid about 30 years ago I dropped my new Ibanez destroyer cos the body end of the strap came off. It hit a table and a huge chunk of wood flew off the body and the paint shattered. Mortified. Since then all my guitars have them. All with their own straps that don't get removed. Never dropped one since. I do have a couple of cheaper ones, Wilkinson I think they are, and they squeak when you move. No issue through an amp but annoying as hell if you're just playing quietly watching tv. lol. Schallers are my preference.
Dunlop master race and all that shit.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by Spambot_2
Also, is there any valid but cheaper alternative to the schaller's?

You can grab a couple of rubber and metal washers and use them like makeshift straplocks. They work just as well, and would probably cost you <€2. The only real drawback is that you'd have to remove the screw each time you wanted to remove the strap, since the washer makes it a semi-permanent modification.
Yes
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by megano28
You can grab a couple of rubber and metal washers and use them like makeshift straplocks. They work just as well, and would probably cost you <€2. The only real drawback is that you'd have to remove the screw each time you wanted to remove the strap, since the washer makes it a semi-permanent modification.

Yeah I just use a rubber washer now. I keep losing the locking bits of the Schaller locks anyway.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by Robbgnarly
Use beer bottle caps also

Or the seal of a Grolsch bottle

yeah i've heard of people doing that

I'm not much of a drinker though
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Yeah I just use a rubber washer now. I keep losing the locking bits of the Schaller locks anyway.

Yeah, I can respect the straplocks. But when you consider how cheap the alternative is, it was an easy choice for me.

I found that a layering of

Rubber Washer
Metal Washer
Strap
Rubber Washer

Gives the most protecting to the wood, while still keeping the strap protected.
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah i've heard of people doing that

I'm not much of a drinker though

And you call yourself Irish
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I call myself northern irish
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by bish0p3473
I've used Schallers and Dunlops over the years. The Schallers always came loose no matter how much I tightened them. I stick with Dunlops.

use non permanent thread locker on the strap-side for the washers on the threads of that side.

for the wood stick a little bit of glue in the hole then insert toot pick. let set, then screw the new screw in.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
All I do is use a shifter on the clip and a spanner on the nut. The Schallers are made from good steel, you can lean on them pretty hard. Then a day or two later you do it again to allow for any settling of the leather and then you never have to touch them again.
I usually pack the hole but Schallers also come with longer screws now which will cut a new thread deep in the guitar. You get about 1/2 an inch of new thread. That works just as well. I don't know why people are having problems with them. Sounds like operator error to me.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification