hey guys, I recently bought the hendrix fuzz face since it was on sale cheaper than usual, and...well, i've always wanted a fuzz. So I plug it in and play around on the bridge pickup and it sounds great. Thick and ballsy like I expected, switch to ANY other pickup (this is on a standard strat with ~5.5k AII singles) and it sounds like a cocked wah and gets thinner sounding.

Has anyone else ever had this happen with a fuzz? I know they can be picky, and wondered if this was a pedal problem or what. I emailed Dunlop and they said they had no idea.
yeah fuzzfaces don't really work well with other pickups. has to do with the tone they have which kind of lacks treble. when you take away more treble then you lose the bite. also keep in mind that the fuzz really needs to be maxed (volume to) and use your volume control on the guitar to control things.
what type of pickup? i use a fuzzface all the time on the neck pickup, but i normally use it with fender-style single coils.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It's an MIM strat with duncan antiquities. And the bridge pickups is what sounds good, it sounds normal. The middle/neck and any combo of those sounds like a cocked wah. It's really strange, I've never had any issues with ANY other pedals. They're a set, so it's strange to me that it would sound so vastly different. I'm running the amp (egnater tweaker 40 w/ el-34's into a 2x12 with green backs) at a medium high volume just over the edge of breakup with the fuzz cranked. Thanks for the help guys, I think the fuzz just may not like my strat.
sounds like something funky is going on with your guitar's wiring or the middle / neck tone pot perhaps.
yeah that's weird. a fuzzface with a strat neck pickup is arguably one of the classic tones.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah that's weird. a fuzzface with a strat neck pickup is arguably one of the classic tones.

yeah but I can't think of any that have a really thick sound like using the bridge pickup. often the neck and even the middle pups are adjusted a little lower than the bridge. I know on my strats the neck pickup isn't as loud as the bridge. not sure what the OP expects exactly. I have found that using fuzz is a bit of an art and needs some experimentation to get the best results.

OP what amp are you sing and what tone settings
yeah. i think on my strat the neck pickup is louder but then i think all the pickups are probably the same on it (old tokai). and i'm lazy and haven't messed with the heights. also my tokai doesn't have a tone knob linked to the bridge pickup so it doesn't really sound thick at all. and they're very low output.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?