Page 1 of 2
So, in case you haven't noticed this forum is deaaaad. I'd like for y'all to come back. Let's talk what we're consuming recently. Don't care if it is alternative or indie. Whatcha hearing?
I've been listening to a ton of Hank III, oh and the Nick 13 (tiger army) solo album has been on regular rotation.

Also have been revisiting some of the old punk rock and hardcore I listened to as a teen, for example the escaped, a band in Portland that was pretty big in the early 2000's.

Wolfbrigade is everyday life
bob dylan, new order, kate bush, elvis costello & the attractions, the clash, the damned, capt. beefheart, public image ltd, brian eno, charles mingus
You changed your sig cos of me? I am honoured
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
The Sturgill Simpson record from this year is good. What else from this year? Lavender Country reissue is worth hearing. All country songs about bein' gay. Do you want stuff not from this year too?

I been listening to DeepChord, Adult Jazz, The Feelies, and Mission of Burma.
I don't listen to new things anymore.

Things i've been heavily jamming to this whole year: The Hold Steady, The dB's, New Order, Gang of Four, Rolling Stones, Hank Williams, The Upsetters, Gram Parsons, Front Bottoms, Big Star

Quote by slipknot5678
hey brad what is some good country music?

uhh_me?'s got good suggestions. Jason Isbell, Gram Parsons (i've had his GP and Grievous Angel albums in my car stereo for a while now), Hank Williams of course.

I have a spotify playlist that has all of my favorite country songs so i'm just gonna type out all of the artists: Ernest Tubb, Kacey Musgraves, The Carter Family, Loretta Lynn, Kitty Wells, The Stanley Brothers, Waylon Jennings, Merle Haggard, Dolly Parton, Bill Monroe & His Blue Grass Boys, Harry Choates, Patsy Cline, Hank Williams, Gram Parsons, Flying Burrito Brothers, Townes Van Zandt, John Prine, Robbie Fulks, Jimmie Rodgers, Louvin Brothers, Jason Isbell, Ryan Adams, Patty Griffin, Kris Kristofferson, George Jones, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, Lucinda Williams.

I listen to the bolded most often.
Listened to Adult Jazz earlier, dunno how I feel, it's kinda cool and slick and interesting but kinda self-indulgent too, or at least I was bored a few times

Gf got me You're Dead! on vinyl, it's a beauty
Quote by ErikLensherr

The self-indulgent thing is interesting to me because i hear that, but it also seems like a calculated move. There's something of a self-consciousness hanging over the album.
Quote by bradulator

uhh_me?'s got good suggestions. Jason Isbell, Gram Parsons (i've had his GP and Grievous Angel albums in my car stereo for a while now), Hank Williams of course.

I have a spotify playlist that has all of my favorite country songs so i'm just gonna type out all of the artists: Ernest Tubb, Kacey Musgraves, The Carter Family, Loretta Lynn, Kitty Wells, The Stanley Brothers, Waylon Jennings, Merle Haggard, Dolly Parton, Bill Monroe & His Blue Grass Boys, Harry Choates, Patsy Cline, Hank Williams, Gram Parsons, Flying Burrito Brothers, Townes Van Zandt, John Prine, Robbie Fulks, Jimmie Rodgers, Louvin Brothers, Jason Isbell, Ryan Adams, Patty Griffin, Kris Kristofferson, George Jones, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, Lucinda Williams.

I listen to the bolded most often.

Thanks.

heard of some of those but never gave them a proper listen with a few exceptions (I've always respected and on rare occasions listened to Kris Kirstofferson, for example). My opinion towards country was always 'I like the genres it draws from and there's probably good stuff out there' but what I've had forced down my throat my whole life was the bad stuff that actually isn't country.

These should be good listens. I'd love to see the genre for what it really is.

Thanks to you too uhh me; brad's was newest so that's what I read first wasn't overlooking you promise.
Last edited by slipknot5678 at Dec 24, 2014,
A lot of Lifter Puller and the Hold Steady lately. I've been in love with Craig Finn's narratives for a long time, but only recently have I been obsessed with them, especially the ones in LP lyrics.
what if all we ever get is each other?

schoollife.bandcamp.com

thehousingglow.bandcamp.com

killthebats.bandcamp.com
I've been listening to a lot of The Fall recently. Jeez, where have this band been all my life?! Also Gang of Four, OMD, Black Angels, Lou Reed, Nico, Arcade Fire, Bright Eyes, Pulp...
This is one of my favorite songs right now i think some of you guys would like it if you haven't given gladys much of a listen. the "you beg her to love you, but me you dont ask" moment is gold. My housemate was listening to the bruno mars song when i was your man and it reminded me of this tune a bit so i had to show it to her https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-Nc4MW4yr0

Been listening to a lot of Stephen Steinbrink and Emperor X lately. Emperor X crashed at my house last year and came on my radio show and stuff so I went up to see him in DC a couple weeks ago. Such a great show. He's a brilliant and friendly guy too. Probably one of the most interesting and important-feeling artists I've come across these past couple years. Western Teleport is a fantastic album and a great place to start if you're interested in him at all. He's got this spazzy brilliance in his songs, sort of hits technological/geopolitical themes and intense intimacy at the same time. It carries a lot of emotional weight for me anyway.

This is a great album from Stephen Steinbrink, it's called arranged waves. I really like the production on it. Gets the songs across nicely. I got it with an iTunes gift card ( ) and the itunes bonus track "try to believe" is actually great too.
http://stephensteinbrink.bandcamp.com/album/arranged-waves

Here is a video i just uploaded from the D.C. show. I'll put some other Emperor X vids in spoilers if anyone's interested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZngLp4nbl4
Erica Western Teleport
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ1WJihpvU8
Wasted on the Senate Floor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKUqo9UtKSw
Bashling Acoustic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NclBuajdMAY
Bashling Electric (sounds almost like galaxie 500 or slowdive)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFb-WVfp9rs
Magnetic media storage practices of rural pakistan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k8vYSurAus
Anatomy Anatomy
Whale Blue Review

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
Lots of cloudkicker(I guess prog rock but same thing) and Minus the bear. I've been listening to the same like five bands for the last year, I need to start getting into music again.
New to the guitar and the site and just wanted to add Lord Huron to the mix of artists to listen to. Absolutely love their sound.
I'm probably one of the most diverse music fans there is. I can find stuff to enjoy from every genre of music except "Rap", which I absolutely detest. I do find myself listening to a lot of instrumentals lately. I'm a guitarist so I'm big on guitar instrumentals.

Check out my favorite guitarist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S33tWZqXhnk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cHeNscKZN0

If I could I'd join his road crew just so I could listen to him a lot even though I am an old white-haired man.

Update: Jesus! I was listening to the videos I posted and "Over the Rainbow" made me cry again.
Last edited by stueycaster at Feb 2, 2015,
Quote by Amuro Jay
your second statement renders your first statement (which is arbitrary and pretentious) false

No it doesn't. I have no idea how many different genres there are but there are a lot of them. One genre out of however many is a pretty small percentage. You are obviously a fan of "Rap" and you're holding my tastes against me. I would never hold it against you that you like "Rap". We are all entitled to our own opinion.
Quote by stueycaster
I'm probably one of the most diverse music fans there is. I can find stuff to enjoy from every genre of music except "Rap", which I absolutely detest. I do find myself listening to a lot of instrumentals lately. I'm a guitarist so I'm big on guitar instrumentals.

LOL
banned
So what is it that bothers you about what I said. All I meant is that I like a broad variety of music. I like Country, Bluegrass, Soul, Rock Oldies, Blues, New Age, Easy Listening, Jazz, Celtic, Guitar instrumental, Folk, Classical and others I don't even know the name of.

Is it because I said I don't like Rap? I'm sorry but listening to Rap irritates me. So what if I don't know about the "diversity of Hiphop". I've got enough stuff to enjoy. Do you think I'm supposed to like the same stuff you do? You don't have the right to tell me I have to appreciate Hiphop.

I know people who listen to one genre all the time. How many people listen to Top 40 stations that play the same songs over and over. Whatever genre these top 40 stations are they're still playing the same old stuff and millions of people just eat it up. I rarely even listen to the radio. I listen to the 1500 songs I have stashed in my smart phone and web radio. Plus I have ViPER4Android. It's a music processor app that can make the music played through my car dock into my car radio sound like a very expensive sound system.

What I don't have is the big bass speaker blasting bass so loud it rattles the whole rear end of my car. I bet you do don't you?

Update: I took screenshots of what my phone says about the different genres of music I have in my phone. Please notice under Unknown Genre it says there are 707 songs. The ID Tags on those were obviously incomplete. I wonder how many there would be if it could have read them. The uploader wouldn't let me upload 1 photo. There was another page.

I don't care if this is "arbitrary and pretentious". I still think I really am probably one of the most diverse music fans there is. I don't know one person who likes as many different types of music as me.
Attachments:
Screenshot_2015-02-03-14-35-24.png
Screenshot_2015-02-03-14-36-40.png
Screenshot_2015-02-03-14-36-51.png
Screenshot_2015-02-03-14-37-17.png
Screenshot_2015-02-03-14-38-23.png
Last edited by stueycaster at Feb 3, 2015,
Quote by Wormholes
Lots of cloudkicker(I guess prog rock but same thing) and Minus the bear. I've been listening to the same like five bands for the last year, I need to start getting into music again.

Cloudkicker is sick.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Quote by stueycaster
So what is it that bothers you about what I said.
you came into this thread expecting pats on the back for a diversity contest that nobody but you is competing in, and yet despite all this big talk, your tastes are completely predictable for someone with your attitude
Quote by stueycaster
I'm sorry but listening to Rap irritates me. So what if I don't know about the "diversity of Hiphop". I've got enough stuff to enjoy. Do you think I'm supposed to like the same stuff you do? You don't have the right to tell me I have to appreciate Hiphop.
you'd be allowed to say that if that's what i was actually doing, but i'm not
Quote by stueycaster
What I don't have is the big bass speaker blasting bass so loud it rattles the whole rear end of my car. I bet you do don't you?
actually i don't but i really like your stereotyping and subtle prejudices in your posts
Quote by Amuro Jay
your second statement renders your first statement (which is arbitrary and pretentious) false

You started the insults man. I thought this was a friendly little discussion about what music we like. I guess you don't see it that way. If you start handing out insults you'll get them back. This is my last reply to you.

You really should check out those videos I posted. They're amazing.
Last edited by stueycaster at Feb 3, 2015,
When I used to be rich enough to afford sirius radio I would listen to Sirius XMU and be up to date with current music. I eventually got sick of how it played so much boring generic indie stuff but I felt real hip. Anyway, now that I am almost not in college and on the verge to adulthood I am not up to date with young hip indie music and I feel old. When you stop caring about new releases from youthful bands does that mean you're an old person?
Quote by bradulator
When I used to be rich enough to afford sirius radio I would listen to Sirius XMU and be up to date with current music. I eventually got sick of how it played so much boring generic indie stuff but I felt real hip. Anyway, now that I am almost not in college and on the verge to adulthood I am not up to date with young hip indie music and I feel old. When you stop caring about new releases from youthful bands does that mean you're an old person?

you're like, 24, right?
i've just been alternating between a few CDs & public radio while driving & not really listening to music besides that. i don't like to do the whole "omg i feel old thing" but every now & then something will pop up that at least makes me feel like i'm older than i realize & it is uncanny. realizing i barely sit down & listen to music anymore is one of them. i used to get home from class & spend like 3 hours listening to music when i was in high school & undergrad, which seems ludicrous, but i'm not so sure i use my time any better these days.

not that i ever really cared about new music that much.
i listened to the new sleater-kinney album a few times, it is ok. i liked it the first couple listens, but now i don't want to listen to it anymore. i will listen to the new screaming females record.
Screaming Females is gonna be great. I guess I only care about bands who I cared about a few years ago. Like I have no desire to "discover" new music anymore and that was a big deal a couple years ago. And I guess I equate not wanting to discover new music to being old. And I feel like if I were to try and discover new music i'd be acting like an immature hs/college dude who has that kind of time

Quote by slipknot5678
you're like, 24, right?

I am 22
Quote by bradulator
Screaming Females is gonna be great. I guess I only care about bands who I cared about a few years ago. Like I have no desire to "discover" new music anymore and that was a big deal a couple years ago. And I guess I equate not wanting to discover new music to being old. And I feel like if I were to try and discover new music i'd be acting like an immature hs/college dude who has that kind of time

I am 22

woah shit I will be 19 in three weeks. I think I knew your age pre-hiatus but I forgot and so I didn't realise we are only three/four years apart.

I'm kind of like you with music except I've kind of always been that way. I've always discovered and digested music very slowly so I've always been behind everyone else. I only really listen to a few new albums a year and on these forums for example I never even know what most of the albums sound like in those end of year threads. When I listen to new music it's always in one of these ways: 1. One of my favourite artists releases something new. 2. Sometimes I just happen to hear something that immediately draws me in and I need to hear more, whether that be through someone I know, forums/social media or w/e (though not actively searching for it), maybe I just hear people blasting something cool in their car or on the street or w/e. Almost 90% of the time I find something new it's through coincidence and not actively searching for music. As a musician it's sometimes weird 'cause most people would say "my favourite band is *band* and they really influenced me a lot" but with me it's like "one time I just heard someone playing something that sounded cool and it inspired me" even if I don't know what that thing is. 3. A few times a year maybe I'll briefly browse through bandcamp albums or something. I periodically look at the itunes page for really mainstream stuff and maybe I'll think a few songs are catchy. I kind of sort of try to keep up with local music sometimes. But other than that I never really actively search for new music, so I don't really expect much of transition in that regard.

I don't really agree with the stigma of being 22+ and liking new music. It's one thing if you are a stereotypical music nerd on music forums posting threads asking for recs on entire genres everyday, clicking on 'download discography' for ten artists, listening to it all, and then storing twenty-seven days worth of music across multiple hard drives or something that's one thing but it it's just like 'I'll listen to something different from what I normally play' like once or twice a week or something like that there's nothing wrong with that.

I'm not talking about you but it kind of reminds me of this: I've always found it dumb when middle-class people get full time jobs and then they're like 'life sucks gonna act like a cynical asshole now' but then I see people in their forties who are less well-off and still manage to have passions and interests and all that.

With all the shit you post in the film thread it's probably just that music isn't your primary interest when it comes to this stuff which is fine. For me watching films is too time consuming which is I don't watch very many. Music is something usually twenty minutes to an hour a day for me (many days zero of course, some days a little more while I'm doing something else) unless it's just in the background (like right now my mom's listening to Katy Perry in the other room). Though I've been unemployed almost for a month now and I'm in my undergrad days so really I have all the time in the world; not trying to state otherwise lol. I try to be more productive anyway although I've been wasting a ton of time recently more out of 'depression' than '**** it I'm just gonna click download discography on fifteen artists and listen to that all day instead of do work'.
Last edited by slipknot5678 at Feb 15, 2015,
The new music is not as good or not as crafty as of late.
Then again I got burned out on classic rock.

I go back to Grateful Dead,Neil Young,Wide Spread Panic. Some Metalica. Some Dave Mathews. New Tom Petty album.
I've been listening to alot of Marilyn Manson lately, especially his new album. Also some Slipknot, Korn, Avenged Sevenfold, and Rob Zombie.
Some of the bands I've been listening to are: Nightwish- seeing them in April and they are one of my favorites. Check out the song Scaretale! I've also been listening to Motionless in White. They get a lot of hate but I like them. I've also had Wednesday 13 and Murderdolls on repeat for awhile. Some bands that I'm getting into for the first time are Between the Buried and Me, Parkway Drive, and Dimmu Borgir.
That rockist guy with 'diverse' taste
Quote by ErikLensherr

Page 1 of 2