Sorry in advance as I assume there have already been threads on similar topics.

I have an LTD m200 with a ripoff floyd rose in it and its set up in drop D. However, I really like lower tunings and have been fiending to play some Slipknot because I just saw them in concert and they've been one of my favorite bands forever. Almost all their stuff is in Drop A/B.

I thought about taking my LTD into the shop n just having the pros put it in drop B and buying this ibanez gax70 thats on craigslist for $100.

My question is if i were to buy that ibanez, could I just tune it down to drop B? would it severely mess things up or would I be able to get away with it? I am a beginner/intermediate, so if tuning it down wouldn't noticeable damage it, I'd be fine with it.

Or should I just have them drop my LTD way down and use the other guitar for other tunings?
You can tune either guitar down to drop B, as long as you compensate for it with heavier strings. It certainly won't damage the guitars to do so, personally I'd probably tune the GAX down myself because it has a fixed bridge so you can play about with it more easily.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Choose your tuning, then choose your string gauge, then do a complete setup starting with the truss rod. On the Floyds you may need to add or reposition springs to get the correct counter balance. Also crazy thick strings may require nut or saddle modifications.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
If you're going to up the gauge to compensate for flop, you should take your guitar to a professional (or if you know how to do it yourself) to make sure the new gauge won't mess up your guitar. Some guitars might be set up already for low, heavy gauges. Just never tune up to standard with a heavy gauge...
Agree with Zaph. If you do get the Ibby, that would be the easier one to drop tune like that with the fixed bridge. I'd get a set of or 12s and throw them on, obviously adjusting the truss rod and bridge as needed.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by Will Lane
If you're going to up the gauge to compensate for flop, you should take your guitar to a professional (or if you know how to do it yourself) to make sure the new gauge won't mess up your guitar. Some guitars might be set up already for low, heavy gauges. Just never tune up to standard with a heavy gauge...

It's perfectly possible to tune to standard with heavy gauge strings, you just need to do the relevant adjustments to the guitar to make sure it works. Action, truss rod, intonation will all need to be changed but there's no real reason why a guitar shouldn't be able to do it. Plenty of people do in fact.

Also for the most part you don't need to do much set up if you're just adjusting gauge and dropping the tuning; I hardly ever set up my guitars fully but I mess around with tunings a lot and none of them are showing any wear from it at all.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Heavy gauge strings tuned to standard will NOT damage a guitar. It can take it. Unless there is some sort of flaw in the neck or something. Just one example, Stevie Ray Vaughan played strings as heavy as 12s and didn't tune lower than 1/2 step.
The only modification you may have to make is cutting the grooves on the nut a little deeper.
Unless you are planning to leave it in one tuning all the time, I wouldn't recommend using the floyd. It is a lot of work to change the tuning and re-float the bridge every time. If you can get the fixed bridge guitar like you say, get that and use it. Much less headache.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
I have an ESP Horizon II 6-string with a Floyd Rose that I have been able to setup for drop B.
Basically, I went to their website and looked at what string gauges they have on their 7 string guitars.
The 7th string is (normally) tuned to B - exactly what I wanted - so I just bought a complete 7-string set and used the thickest 6 strings.
I did have to widen the nut groove on the 6th string just a bit with a nut file, but the others seemed to have enough room to allow getting the guitar tuned.
The truss rod needed just a little more tension to keep the neck curvature correct and prevent buzzing at all frets; as always do this slowly, no more than a quart turn per day so the neck has time to adjust.
The Floyd Rose only need some minor tweaks in spring tension to get it level, but that definitely was the hardest part!

I do not try to tune this guitar to drop D, Eb or E because it just takes too much effort.
As an old putz, I have acquired enough axes to have fun, so maybe go for that other axe for standard tuning?
Thanks guys I appreciate it. I think I'm gonna snag a cheap used axe off craigslist to mess around with in lower tunings.

New question.... which would you prefer:
ibanez gax70
https://iowacity.craigslist.org/msg/4774452445.html
dean evo
https://iowacity.craigslist.org/msg/4771465782.html

... the hardshell case is making me like the dean, but my gut is telling me to stick with the ibanez.

edit: my research skills (google searches) make it seem like the dean is a much better buy for the value.
Last edited by dak.ak47 at Dec 4, 2014,
I have a couple of deans that I love, one of which is an EVO Special Select- top of the EVO line (at least when I bought it).

And I wouldn't go with that EVO. The Ibanez is probably better made.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
You might want to check out the sale Fernandes is having on their website. Quantities are limited, and the discounts are deep. The X-model guitars are mostly available in your price range, discounted from $300-400.

www.fernandesguitarshop.com/x-series/29-dragonfly-x.html
www.fernandesguitarshop.com/27-monterey-x.html
www.fernandesguitarshop.com/revolver/31-revolver-x.html
www.fernandesguitarshop.com/28-vortex-x.html
http://www.fernandesguitarshop.com/vertigo/33-vertigo-x.html

Some other retailers are also starting to discount the X models to less than $200 as well. I saw a Dragonfly X on Amazon for a comparable price.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!