Hi there all!

Happy Holidays :-)

I've got a question I can't seem to figure out..
I've been doing some YouTube videos, about guitar pedals, and to show what these pedals really can do I wanna jam along to some backing tracks. But, when my amp is mic'd up and the guitar and pedals are going through that how can I then be able to jam along to the backing track?
The sound quality is important..

Hope you can help me?

Thanks!
You have the backing track in your daw and record to it when you record with your mic, then you sync up both with the video you take. Pretty simple, when you render the file from your daw you'll have both backing track and guitar.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
You can also use headphones or feed the track through an external input on your amp, if it has an AUX-in. Personally, I'd use CF's method and have the backing track in my headphones so that I can hear what I'm playing to without it muddying up the recording.
^Yip that's how I'd achieve what was asked in the original post.

Import the backing track into my DAW (in my case logic) as track 1.
Set the mic'd up amp going into track 2. Arm it to record and ensure the track is being monitored.

Plug in my headphones so I can hear both tracks through the headphones so that track 2 is only my amp'd up guitar.

Record. Then after recording I can mix them just right.

Honestly though if I were testing pedals I would probably approach the exercise entirely differently. I would use a splitter and record the guitar direct to my DAW on two inputs, one clean and one through the pedal using software amps.

1. My chain would be...
                    -->Input 1-->Track 2-->Software Amp (record armed, muted)  =records clean guitar to track 2
Guitar-->Splitter--|
                    -->Pedal-->Input 2-->Track 3-->Software Amp (record armed, monitored) = same as track 2 but with the pedal 

The benefit here is that you can have the same performance with and without the pedal. Because the software amps are applied post recording you can use different amps/amp settings to see how the pedal holds up under various circumstances.

The main benefit though is that you would have the clean guitar track so you could always apply the same amps and settings to both tracks and A/B the same recording with the pedal and without the pedal to really highlight exactly what the pedal brings to the mix.

If you wanted to then compare another pedal that does the same kind of effect you could run your clean guitar track to output 1 on your interface --> through the new pedal --> back to an input on your interface and record it as a new track.

You could keep doing this for as many pedals as you want. Then you would have a clean guitar track and a recording of each pedal using the exact same guitar performance so that you could compare and contrast.

That is presuming you're testing pedals that have similar effects. I would start fresh for each type of effect and then use the same performance for each pedal of the same type of effect.

That way you would know exactly what each pedal adds and you know it's not down to performance and can test the pedal against different amp settings and can test it against different pedals that do the same job.

Hopefully that makes sense. And keep in mind I'm just spitballing ideas...this might all be way too convoluted for what you want to achieve.
Si