So I might be selling the Apogee One (new version) cuz I'm not overly impressed with the build, the way the connector cables need to be pulled (with force) and the fragility of the breakout cables.

Anyways, I'm now looking at the following cuz it's discount season:
1. Roland Quad Capture
2. Focusrite 2i4
3. Motu Microbook II

Budget: $250 USD
DAW: Garageband

Thoughts?

PS. I had a Focusrite 2i2 before but it felt decent enough, but even after I got the Apogee, I felt it's over-hyped...
Quote by ThatGuy_17
So I might be selling the Apogee One (new version) cuz I'm not overly impressed with the build, the way the connector cables need to be pulled (with force) and the fragility of the breakout cables.
Get a current duet 2, they sound better than the one's.

It's also normal for connectors to be tough.
For the good ones anyway.

If the cable isn't good enough for you, get the breakout box.
Quote by ThatGuy_17
Thoughts?
You'll not gonna sound as good as before whatever of them you buy.
Quote by ThatGuy_17
PS. I had a Focusrite 2i2 before but it felt decent enough, but even after I got the Apogee, I felt it's over-hyped...
If you feel that way, whatever you'll get will not sound that bad to you.

Get the one with the i/o options you need most.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Dec 4, 2014,
Literally all of those are a downgrade. Is there a breakout box for the One?

Also, if your return period is up, resale is SUPER low on the One. Apogee sells them refurbished for like $175, and I see them on craigslist for a little under that.

Check these out: http://www.bluelounge.com/products/cabledrop/
I use a few of these with my Duet 2's cables and it makes a WORLD of difference on my desk. Nothing slides around anymore, and I labeled the black cable ends with silver sharpie so it's much easier to figure out which is which. You also get enough in a package to clip your macbook power cable and a handful of others.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Actually I reckon I can get around $250 for it from its original $350 (used for 8 months) but we'll see as someone WAS selling the Duet 2 for $450 (1 year use) but dunno if that got picked up; checking.

There is no breakout box for the One so that's kinda unfortunate.

So say I were to keep the One, how would I go about connecting Monitors to the stereo 1/8"? Would I be able to use a splitter from 1/8" to two 1/4'? (I'll go into choosing monitors on a separate post when I buy them...)
Quote by ThatGuy_17
So say I were to keep the One, how would I go about connecting Monitors to the stereo 1/8"? Would I be able to use a splitter from 1/8" to two 1/4'?
Yes you would.

It's 3.5mm though, not 1/8".
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Gonna push this cuz I just found a Duet 2 selling used for roughly $460 (US); it's not the newer Mac & iPad version though. Do you think it's still worth it even though it's theoretically not compatible with the iPad?

That aside, for anyone who has a Duet 2, does it work with the iPad? Are there any features that won't work? I'm a bit worried as I bought the GB sims on the iPad and I feel it will go to waste if I don't use them, also the maestro software may not be able to be used.
Last edited by ThatGuy_17 at Jan 10, 2015,
Quote by ThatGuy_17
Gonna push this cuz I just found a Duet 2 selling used for roughly $460 (US); it's not the newer Mac & iPad version though. Do you think it's still worth it even though it's theoretically not compatible with the iPad?

That aside, for anyone who has a Duet 2, does it work with the iPad? Are there any features that won't work? I'm a bit worried as I bought the GB sims on the iPad and I feel it will go to waste if I don't use them, also the maestro software may not be able to be used.

I have that exact model, it does NOT work with the iPad but that's the only difference compared to the new one.

Recording on the iPad is a pain in the butt, especially if you have a perfectly good macbook sitting around AND a duet 2. It's like riding a skateboard to work (via the highway, let's say) instead of driving a mercedes - you'll get there but you won't enjoy it.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
It should be ok though as I owned a focusrite 2i2 before and it wasn't iOS compatible so I guess I won't be missing out that much?
Quote by ThatGuy_17
It should be ok though as I owned a focusrite 2i2 before and it wasn't iOS compatible so I guess I won't be missing out that much?

Yeah, I mean, only you know how much you'd need it. I've only ever made one scratch demo on an iOS device, and that's only because my macbook was being repaired and I was struck with inspiration haha

I've also found that iOS devices have much shorter lifespans than full on OSX based computers. My iPad 2 can barely browse the internet with iOS 8 yet my 2010 macbook pro is kicking ass and taking names on Mavericks with its newly upgraded SSD and doubled RAM - can't do that on iOS.

If you need emergency iOS recording capabilities, get an iRig or Jam, or just use the built in mic with an acoustic guitar, because anything requiring higher fidelity should not be done on an iOS device at all, in my opinion.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass