Today I was doing a little research on acrylic guitars and I found this article. I didn't feel like it was very credible or had much merit to it since buying instruments is very much a personal choice and he is clearly ranting. Does anybody have any comments about this? Agree? Disagree?

(removed; troll blog)
Last edited by Oman1095 at Dec 4, 2014,
I agree with his opinions, but by no means should you never guy those guitars. If you want one, get it.

I almost bought an acrylic Les Paul once. I think it weighed in around 13-15 pounds. But it looked cool. That's why I wanted it.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
I will agree with the article about acrylic guitars...mainly because 99% of the ones I see on the internet are cheaply made Galveston guitars. It's not a smart buy IMO. As far as the others i disagree. I would personally buy an Esquire before a Telecaster because I have my own reasons. And if someone wants that confusing looking BC Rich more power to them...having the tagline of "don't buy one of these" is silly.
I don't really agree with what he says. Sounds a bit butthurt too.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
It all seems like bad opinion. I could see some kind of validity had the writer offered alternatives: Nice figured woods with interesting paint jobs vs. acrylic, or A cheaper simpler used NJ classic vs. a Bich 10 if you like how it looks. If you want your opinion taken seriously, maybe expand on your ideas a bit?
I'd take a Dan Armstrong or a EGC acrylic guitar over most guitars on the market atm Esquires are also cool as hell, I'd love to own one. I kinda agree with the Bich and the doubleneck, but even then it's not really up to me to decide what you should buy.
The guy who wrote that is a very opinionated person. I don't agree with any of what he said
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I love Esquires, its a piece of history too, why do you have a guitar that can play everything, who needs a rythym pickup for the bakersfield tone?

The double neck, I had an Epiphone EDS1275 and it was great to play along to some Zep live stuff but my god it killed the shoulder after about 15minutes and I am used to playing 9lb guitars, mine ranked in at about 16.5lb if i remember. high fret access is terrible
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
ok so let me get this straight I shouldn't buy a great sounding and playing guitar because it looks weird (Steinberger). no BC Rich 10 string Bich? really are you freaking high. Esquier no dumber than any other 1 pickup guitar. jeff beck used one in the Yardbirds and it seemed to work. obviously he never played a Dan Armstong plexi or the steve vai gem made of acrylic. no double necks ok now this guys credibility has gone right out the window. WTF ever heard of Jimmy Page or Alex Lifeson.

does this guy even play guitar? what a joke. sure any of those guitars might not be for everyone but so what.
Last edited by monwobobbo at Dec 4, 2014,
The guy that wrote that article is just bitching. If you want an acrylic guitar, get one! He says it does nothing for tone or sustain....well neither does wood.
acrylic guitars are for the looks. They weigh a lot, they have a lot of treble and the notes pretty much hit you when you're playing all the force and vibration. It's not a very versatile "material". In fact lucite is a variant of polyurethane so it's like they just got rid of the wood in between and left that.

worst guitars though in my opinion people are stupid enough to buy is Ibanez RG for more than 300$. Lifeless and thin in sound. J-craft to Gio I haven't been impressed. How do you justify a guitar with EXTREMELY similar specs in the 500$ range to the 1500$-2000$ range other than country and they put two new pickups and a slightly different bridge in it. To me basswood is and always will be a jazzed up version of ply wood. I don't care who played/plays them they have always let me down.
Quote by monwobobbo
no double necks ok now this guys credibility has gone right out the window.

That was exactly what I thought. Once I read that point I decided I had to bring it here and see what other people have to say about this.
Quote by AJScott
The guy that wrote that article is just bitching. If you want an acrylic guitar, get one! He says it does nothing for tone or sustain....well neither does wood.

Please don't make this another one of those threads.
Quote by Tallwood13
acrylic guitars are for the looks. They weigh a lot, they have a lot of treble and the notes pretty much hit you when you're playing all the force and vibration. It's not a very versatile "material". In fact lucite is a variant of polyurethane so it's like they just got rid of the wood in between and left that.

worst guitars though in my opinion people are stupid enough to buy is Ibanez RG for more than 300$. Lifeless and thin in sound. J-craft to Gio I haven't been impressed. How do you justify a guitar with EXTREMELY similar specs in the 500$ range to the 1500$-2000$ range other than country and they put two new pickups and a slightly different bridge in it. To me basswood is and always will be a jazzed up version of ply wood. I don't care who played/plays them they have always let me down.

Hey dude, I loved this article you just wrote:

http://menga.net/the-5-types-of-guitars-you-should-never-buy

I rate it 5 stars.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 4, 2014,
Quote by Tallwood13

Slightly different hardware, pickups and made in another country? Isn't that every single guitar manufacturer ever's budget line? Epiphone, Squier, PRS SE, LTD and on and on and on.

Sorry you didn't like your Ibanezes. I love mine
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Please don't make this another one of those threads.

Hey dude, I loved this article you just wrote:

I rate it 5 stars.

thank you.

Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Dec 4, 2014,
"Is the Spirit a good guitar? Yes it is. Does it sound good? Yes it does. Does it play well? Again, yes. So what's the problem? It looks like an unfinished toy. The Spirit guitar has never been able to shake this stigma. As good as the guitar is (and it truly is good), people just never got used to the design."

okay

The author just kinda listed the cons of the guitars listed. Didn't give any of the pros (which can justify their existence)
From my initial view of the guy who wrote this, with the B.C. Rich, I'm surprised the Jaguar is not on the list. LOL I like that B.C. Rich, confusing to most guitarists = 500 new sounds for me.

To me, I see no point in a Steinberger without the Trans-Trem, I've been playing almost 20 years, and still have yet to bump into ONE GL2-T or some other trans-trem model to try out. I'm also curious to figure out how the heck that thing works being as I like to study vibrato unit design in my free time.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
i definitely with acrylic and double neck guitars. acrylics only real use is to be clear, and doesnt do anything else, and its heavy.

and double necks....it just looks like a bad idea, thats your own fault if you buy one
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Quote by Tallwood13

honestly you are kind of looking like an ass, i own three prestiges, 1570 2570 3550. phenomenal guitars. exceptional guitars i paid $500 $400 and <$700 respectively.

they may not be what you like, but it doesn't mean they are bad. i haven't ever played a $300 ibanez.

you seem very ignorant.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
If an acrylic guitar is cool enough for Dave Grohl, it's cool enough for me.

Same goes for a double neck and Jimmy Page.

As far as the Steinberger and Bich, both I personally find ugly and would never buy, but I'm not going to be that guy that tells someone not to buy them just because they aren't my taste.
I don't think I'm a shallow guy, but there are a few guitars I would never buy, based on appearance alone. Besides the Wangcaster and the reverse V, there are the:

Musicman Armada (which looks like someone stuck a guitar neck on a Sonic Drive-through sign):

And the MusicVox Spaceranger (because I never have nor ever will I do the drugs required to associate myself with it)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 7, 2014,

I would play baseball in my backyard with these. That's the only playing they would ever receive.
Quote by Oman1095
Today I was doing a little research on acrylic guitars and I found this article. I didn't feel like it was very credible or had much merit to it since buying instruments is very much a personal choice and he is clearly ranting. Does anybody have any comments about this? Agree? Disagree?

Zero credibility, zero merit. The author is simply an a$$. He's basically spewing his personal opinion as important advice.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
The author needs to go home because he is drunk.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Lets not turn this into a "bashing guitars we don't like" thread. Those never end well.

Bash the silly comments in the linked article all you want - it deserves harsh criticism

The doubleneck thing made me laugh.

Of course it's for stage only - you can record different guitar parts separately in the studio and that would give you more control over the mixing and the tonal variations between them.. so yeah, they don't serve much of a purpose in the studio.. But then what happens when you get to the stage and realise you need a regular 6 string and a capo'd 12 string in the same song in order to have any chance of getting close to replicating your studio sound on stage? Like Hotel California.

The reason why there aren't many of them around is because it's a niche market, where few people actually need one - even fewer now we have digital processors that can alter the pitch electronically with a good amount of precision. But there are still a few people who use them, and they aren't using them just to draw attention to themselves for using one - They only use them when they really need to. I challenge this guy to name 1 guitarist who uses a double neck whether he/she needs it or not.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Explorer91

I would play baseball in my backyard with these. That's the only playing they would ever receive.

I'd rock those out.

That is what the author of that article is missing, different strokes for different folks
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
WHAT THE ****

I want an Esquire now.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
ANYTHING to do with gibson
epiphone over 500$
ibanez over 500$
chinese knock offs

buy anything else
Quote by Tallwood13
epiphone over 500$
ibanez over 500$
chinese knock offs

buy anything else

You really are clueless aren't you
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Oh yeah hes a knob for sure.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by Tallwood13
epiphone over 500$
ibanez over 500$
chinese knock offs

buy anything else

Please continue
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5