A friend has an Epiphone SG-400 he's selling. I like the feel of the guitar, but the strings have a metallic sound to them. This can be heard even playing with no amp. The sound is most apparent on the low E, A, and D strings. It sounds like a hollow, metallic sound. Almost like a ringing. My Strats and Les Paul have a solid sound.

Going to heavier strings hasn't really changed the metallic sound. A little bit, but not a lot.

It's not bothersome except when playing something like three-chord progressions on the A and D strings (open A, 2nd, 4th and 5th frets on the D).

Is this a function of the body, bridge or something else? It's not fret buzz. It's the sound of the strings.
Raise the intonation maybe the part is referred to as the bridge; Also, when you do this adjust the pickups according.
Other than that all I know is of the string tension?
Please post reply, let me know how it goes. Retune the guitar also. Make sure to switch the channels for proper tunings. Rhythm/Treble
Last edited by Evecin at Dec 4, 2014,
It's definitely not fret buzz. I adjusted the strings really high and it still sounds metallic. As I said before, I replaced the strings, using the same brand and weight as my Strats. Pickups wouldn't have anything to do with it, as it sounds metallic even when played unplugged.

Could it be something with the bridge?

When I say "metallic", I mean that there's a "boing" effect to it that resonates along with the string after it's plucked.
Any idea where on the guitar it is coming from? It could be one of the tuning keys coming loose on the headstock, or even the nut. Check screws on the back and if it has a pickguard, all around that. If none of that, my best guess would have to be something with the bridge.
Quote by Evecin
Raise the intonation maybe

What?

Sounds like maybe the slots in the nut or saddle could be a bit too wide. Loose parts might also be to blame - loose tuning pegs, loose nut, etc.
Quote by derek8520
What?

Sounds like maybe the slots in the nut or saddle could be a bit too wide. Loose parts might also be to blame - loose tuning pegs, loose nut, etc.

I have mine suspended with yarn right now. It's hanging from my ceiling, I did some work on it and the string touch frets. No sound mid-> high neck. I believe it is from past adjustments have done to my SG. I will be avoiding touching/ twisting or any adjustments dealing with the trust rod for now.
Quote by Monkeyleg
It's definitely not fret buzz. I adjusted the strings really high and it still sounds metallic. As I said before, I replaced the strings, using the same brand and weight as my Strats. Pickups wouldn't have anything to do with it, as it sounds metallic even when played unplugged.

Could it be something with the bridge?

When I say "metallic", I mean that there's a "boing" effect to it that resonates along with the string after it's plucked.

Sorry if it's not the case but is it possible that the strings were not broken in? Changing the strings to a new set would not help in that situation lol. I go out of my way to play hard on new strings before a gig because I seem to hear sounds like your describing.

Unlike acoustic guitars, electrics guitars sound much better once the strings have a few hours on them in my opinion.
Jackson DK2
1962 Fender Esquire
PEAVEY JSX 212
PEAVEY 6505+ 112
It could be the strings, but I just put the same strings on two other Strats a week ago, and they didn't sound like this.

I'll see if the sound changes with time.