Good day everyone! This is my first post on a guitar forum, so if I do anything wrong or violate any forum etiquette please do tell me.

SO...

So after a long effort I have finally obtained my dream: an old British made Marshall JCM900 50watt Dual Reverb head. So the next step would be to get a good cabinet for the beast.

I would like to ask you guys for some tip and suggestions for cabinets when given the following conditions or constraints?

- I live in a town house, so neighbours are very close to me. Luckily the basement is quite isolated. But to respect the neighbours I'll never go too loud.

- About 90% of the time the cabinet is going to sitting in my living room, which is where I practice. However I will need to take the head and cab with me to some gigs, but not very often.

- I personally really dislike using headphones when practicing. I find the cord somewhat constraining and the sound not as "feely" compared to the sound coming from a cabinet.

So with those in mind, I've been searching around for second-hand matching cabinets for the JCM900. I've played the JCM900 with it's matching cab before at a rehearsal studio and it sounded absolutely amazing to my ears, which is why I'm leaning towards it. But I still wonder if it's a good idea. One is because I'm quite limited on budget, and don't have more than $400 to spend, second is that a 4X12 seems to be a bit overkill if I'll be playing in my living room for 90% of the time anyway.

What are some good alternatives that still offer that awesome vintage marshall sound, but is perhaps softer on the wallet and not-so-overkill?
Quote by facultyofmusic
One is because I'm quite limited on budget, and don't have more than $400 to spend,
Can't you find any used one?
Marshall 1960's go for $400 all day on craigslist AFAIK.

Then, what cab to get depends on the sound you wanna get.
What sound you wanna get?
Give bands/songs examples for bonus points.
Quote by facultyofmusic
second is that a 4X12 seems to be a bit overkill if I'll be playing in my living room for 90% of the time anyway.
A 2x12" with the same speakers isn't that much quieter anyway, and a 2x12" with v30 instead of T75's will sound even less quieter.
Quote by facultyofmusic
What are some good alternatives that still offer that awesome vintage marshall sound, but is perhaps softer on the wallet and not-so-overkill?
Again, songs and band examples might help us helping you.

Without knowing anything else, I'd throw a marshall MF280 suggestion.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
A used Marshall 1960a cab can be had used for $250-$300 any day (that is the matching cab).

And honestly a 2x12 cab will be just as expensive and loud.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'd suggest 2x12 since 1x12 can't fit the amp on top but based on what you're after I think that's all you'd need.
I'm a fan of Carvin's Celestion loaded speakers:
http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/C212BE
You can choose different color, even black tolex if that's what you prefer

Marshall 1960a cab could also be found second hand so that is a great option. Also loads of other Celestion loaded speakers by other brands, other users will probably chime in on these.
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I really do appreciate it!

I'm a big time fan of Guns'n'Roses, Aerosmith, and ACDC. I probably love GnR the most out of the three, and I simply love the Appetite For Destruction tone. Welcome To The Jungle is a great example.

As for buying used cabinets, yes, that is actually my intention. Sorry I should have made it more clear.
If you can find a 1960a used that'd be my first choice. Might want to pop the back to verify they're not selling it with other speakers besides the Celestions.

Other 2x12 you might want to look up used: Mesa Boogie, Orange as they're always quality.