Hi,

I'm using studio one and I've recorded a few riffs and stuff set up like this, guitar > interface > DAW:

Guitar1#L (panned left 100%)
- TSE808 (mono)
- Recabinet 4
Guitar1#R (panned right 100%)
- TSE808 (mono)
- Recabinet 4

The levels in the main mix channel average about -15dB when I solo these two tracks and play them.

I have now tried to instead of having the effects in each track, to have the effects on one bus because both tracks after all use the same effects.

Guitar1#L (panned left 100%)
- no effects
- send to GUITARS#1
Guitar1#R (panned right 100%)
- no effects
- send to GUITARS#1

GUITARS#1 (BUS) - (centre)
- TSE808 (stereo)
- Recabinet 4

The levels in this second case average at about -20dB. Now the tone *seems* the same but there is a clear difference in volume. All settings (apart from choosing stereo in TSE808) are the same in all cases.

I'm a novice at this and not sure what I'm doing wrong here. I thought both would sound indentical but I'm obviously missing something.

Is it just a case of bumping up the output levels in recabinet 4 on the bus effects to equal out both examples? I tried this and it seemed to do the trick but still wondering why the discrepancy in the first place. What's the actual difference in these two setups?

Any tips or advice would be most appreciated. Thanks.
I'd say try on separate busses like you were doing in the beginning, you can copy the settings from one to the other by saving the chain (check manual) or this:
http://www.askaudiomag.com/articles/presonus-studio-one-building-and-saving-effect-chains/articles/articles/advanced-midi-quantizing-in-cubase-7
That's probably 'cause using the first setup you're passing each guitar sound through two cabs (two for each recabinet instance), and that's raising the volume of each channel by a bit less than 3dB (ideally 6dB, compensated to 3dB and a bit less than that 'cause the two cabs in each instance don't produce the same sound).

On the other hand, with the second setup you're passing each sound through one cabinet, and that's making the sound quieter.

Make a separate track for each of your guitar sounds so you have the most control over them and then group everything into a single bus for convenience when mxing.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.