Hey guys, I have a lower end Jackson King V. It's basically this one, but mine has covers on the pickups (but they aren't active) and the tuners are chrome/nickel/whatever. I'm assuming an older model or something? IDK, not important.

My questions (as per the title of the thread) relate to whammy bars and locking tuners. According to the guitar tech at one of my local music stores, I would not be able to mount a floyd rose tremolo. He told me to look up stetsbars. I did so, and ended up having more questions that answers. The stetsbar website basically has a model of tremolo bar for flying v style guitars, and then has a separate one for guitars with through the body style strings, which mine has. I'd assume that I would need the through the body style, or OEM as they call it. Can anyone confirm whether or not it would fit on a flying v style body? Also, would I need to do some routing on the body to mount it? The descriptions on their website are not clear enough.

Second question; I play stuff with lots of bends (a la Synyster Gates), and I go out of tune fairly quickly (especially with below the bridge bends). As I understand it, locking tuners/nut/bridges help with that, but again according to the guitar tech guy I wouldn't be able to mount a locking nut or bridge. That being the case, what brand/model of locking tuners would you recommend?

And before you say anything, yes I know that it would likely be cheaper/more efficient to just buy a new guitar with all of this stuff on it, but that's not as fun.
Stetsbar vibratos are really not very good systems, so I don't recommend them. They have about as good tuning stability as a Bigsby, which for the style of music you're into, that probably won't cut the mustard. They also have a very limited range of movement on the bar, meaning you won't be able to do any of "teh epicz DIMESQ33LS " with them, which again, means that a Stetsbar probably won't cut the mustard.

Really if you want a guitar with a vibrato that has the range and tuning stability of a Floyd Rose, the only solution is to actually get a Floyd Rose. Retrofitting a Floyd into a guitar not designed to take one is a huge undertaking and for cheap guitars, not cost-effective whatsoever. If a Floyd is something you really want, buy a new guitar. There isn't a more economical way.

For your second question, I wouldn't bother with locking tuners. Tuners are very rarely the cause of tuning issues. Really you should consider if you're stringing the guitar correctly (Read this post)

Assuming the way you're stringing the guitar is effective, then the next course of action is undoubtedly the nut. Usually manufacturers don't cut the string nut very well, causing strings to bind up in the slots. You may need to widen the slots slightly, and lubricating the slots by writing into them with a pencil will make a big difference.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 4, 2014,
Ok, well, that being the case, I have a follow up question regarding tremolos. My brother has some cheap Ibanez; couldn't tell you the model, has a strat shape but with humbuckers and a tremolo that will only do divebombs. While it didn't have the same range as the Satriani model I was messing around with at the shop, it was better than nothing. And since I can do a fair bit with over the nut bending, I'd be fine with just divebombs. So, TL;DR, are trems like that available and/or worth it?

Well, I don't think I strung it like that, so that might be the problem there.
It depends on how well such a system will suit your needs.

If you want flawless tuning stability, no matter how hard you wank on the bar, Floyd Rose is the only realistic answer. If you're going to do a lot of down-duning, but you still want some of a vibrato's functionality, it's a lot more convenient to have a guitar with a non-locking vibrato, or at least, a floyd rose that is surface-mounded. It won't allow you to pull up on the bar, but it will allow you to downtune without needing to endure the headaches fully-floating systems need you to endure, to re-set them up correctly. Non-locking vibratos are generally not as effective at keeping tune than locking ones, but are more convenient to set up.

As a general rule, if you don't have a lot of cash to spend, I would avoid Floyd Rose's and or whammy bars of any kind, because with cheap Floyds, fender-style vibratos etc. the materials they're made from have a tendency to be shit. The knife edges the bridges pivot on tend to wear out, and when that happens, no matter how well you set up the bridge, it'll never stay in tune because the amount of friction created between the knife edges and the post means that the bridge never quite gets back to the original position it was in before the bar was dived/pulled, so the bridge will always have a tendency to be flat/sharp. More expensive bridges are made from higher-quality materials that help prevent that from happening. So you get what you pay for.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 4, 2014,
Ok, would the surface mounted kind work on a guitar with through the body strings? Again, the website sucks balls.
Quote by Magmoormaster
Ok, would the surface mounted kind work on a guitar with through the body strings? Again, the website sucks balls.

With the Stetsbar?

I'd honestly just buy another guitar.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
If you're going to do a lot of down-duning, but you still want some of a vibrato's functionality, it's a lot more convenient to have a guitar with a non-locking vibrato, or at least, a floyd rose that is surface-mounded.

Nah, I mean this. I play in drop C, so this sounds appealing. But like I said, the floyd rose website is terrible, and doesn't describe whether or not the model one is looking at is surface mounted of floating or what have you. It just assumes that you know. So my question is whether or not they have one that could be used on a through the body stringed guitar.
Quote by Magmoormaster
Nah, I mean this. I play in drop C, so this sounds appealing. But like I said, the floyd rose website is terrible, and doesn't describe whether or not the model one is looking at is surface mounted of floating or what have you. It just assumes that you know. So my question is whether or not they have one that could be used on a through the body stringed guitar.

That's because there is no such thing as a Floyd Rose that's designed specifically for surface mounting. What makes a Floyd surface mounted is that there is no cavity underneath the bridge that allows you to pull up on the bar. That's all it means. Surface mounting can be done on any Floyd Rose.

Whether or not the guitar is strung through the body is irrelevant. If you hypothetically were to convert a guitar to using a Floyd, the way the guitar is restrung completely changes anyway. All Floyd Roses (or at least the more modern ones) are designed to be strung through the top of the bridge, not through the back of the guitar. So the way the guitar was strung prior to modification is immaterial.

It's not that the website sucks, I think the problem is your lack of understanding on how a Floyd Rose actually works. No offence.

Like I've already said, you get what you pay for with Floyd Rose bridges. And retrofitting a floyd rose on a fixed bridge guitar is a false economy. If a Floyd is that important to you, buy a new guitar. And if you haven't got enough money to afford anything less than something like an S Series Ibanez with a ZR bridge, then your budget just isn't large enough for anything worth your time, and you need to save up.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 5, 2014,
Retrofitting a string through with a Floyd Rose doesn't make any financial sense for a low end guitar.

I'd just buy this if you want a Floyd guitar on the cheap - http://m.guitarcenter.com/Jackson-Used-Jackson-JS32-King-V-Black-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-110670810-i4029136.gc

That's not the best guitar at all but its $200 . . .

If you give us a budget for what you want we may be able to find something better you can afford.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
That's because there is no such thing as a Floyd Rose that's designed specifically for surface mounting. What makes a Floyd surface mounted is that there is no cavity underneath the bridge that allows you to pull up on the bar. That's all it means. Surface mounting can be done on any Floyd Rose.

Whether or not the guitar is strung through the body is irrelevant. If you hypothetically were to convert a guitar to using a Floyd, the way the guitar is restrung completely changes anyway. All Floyd Roses (or at least the more modern ones) are designed to be strung through the top of the bridge, not through the back of the guitar. So the way the guitar was strung prior to modification is immaterial.

It's not that the website sucks, I think the problem is your lack of understanding on how a Floyd Rose actually works. No offence.

Like I've already said, you get what you pay for with Floyd Rose bridges. And retrofitting a floyd rose on a fixed bridge guitar is a false economy. If a Floyd is that important to you, buy a new guitar. And if you haven't got enough money to afford anything less than something like an S Series Ibanez with a ZR bridge, then your budget just isn't large enough for anything worth your time, and you need to save up.

Ok that makes sense. I was under the impression that they would be 2 different models. And no, I don't know anything about guitar tech. So no offense taken. One could certainly argue that a website designed in a way that assumes that the used would know that stuff is poorly designed, but that's a different conversation.

Quote by metalmingee
Retrofitting a string through with a Floyd Rose doesn't make any financial sense for a low end guitar.

I'd just buy this if you want a Floyd guitar on the cheap - http://m.guitarcenter.com/Jackson-Used-Jackson-JS32-King-V-Black-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-110670810-i4029136.gc

That's not the best guitar at all but its $200 . . .

If you give us a budget for what you want we may be able to find something better you can afford.

At this point in time, I am not interested in buying a new guitar. If I was, I'd be getting either an ibanez satriani, or a synyster custom. Nah, right now I'm just exploring options. And as I mentioned in the OP, I fully realize that it's not the most economical way to go. But I pretty much grew up on paintball forums where the culture was all about doing crazy modifications just because you could. That mentality has crossed over to every other part of my life, so ultimately i just need the information as to possibilities and then if will be the judge as to whether or not it is worth it.