Page 1 of 3
Hey i have 400 euro saved up at the moment and i was wondering if i would be able to use a micro terror along with an OD pedal as a boost to play metal? My line 6 spider 3 is in my friends house for band practice etc. if i get the micro terror il have enough money left oer to be able to get a new guitar also jackson soloist/schecter hellraiser etc Also how would a jcm2000 DSL100 do?

I play trivium, metalica etc

Thanks

Jake
The amp sound good and the cab is loaded with V30's which are the industry standard for metal amps. The head sounds like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=up5PG8_uG_Q
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Perfect setup for a small rig.
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
Yea jet city seem good. but im either inbetween a small rig like the jet xity or micro terror or a jcm2000. il be gigging and that :/ is the micro terror any good at all?
Quote by jakemcgovern21
Yea jet city seem good. but im either inbetween a small rig like the jet xity or micro terror or a jcm2000. il be gigging and that :/ is the micro terror any good at all?

The Micro terror is more of a small amp to have just incase. I would never even attempt to gig or practice with it especially if you want metal.

The JCM2000 DSL100/50 are good, but the DSL401 and 201 combos are not ideal for metal either.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by jakemcgovern21
is the micro terror any good at all?

I like the micro terror. It has good sound for very cheap. Will it gig well? Depends. You could technically gig with anything if you put it through a PA. On its own though no 9 times out of ten it wont.

Sound wise the micro terror would have a hard time with trivium, but it could manage Metallica and definitely the more British sounding metal like priest and possibly some maiden. It may not be perfect but it will do it if you but a nice OD in front of the gain and boost it up. It still would only probably be called a crunch sound but it is a heavy crunch and i found it quite pleasing. It had the bite that i feel good metal needs. I've never played with a jet city or anything but i have used the micro terror and it can do classic metal, and modern metal too its just not voiced well exactly for modern metal. Sound is a personal opinion though.

If you like it, go for it. For 150 bucks if you end up hating it you wont take that big of a hit. It also wont be as hard to pawn off to someone. Make sure you try it before you buy it.
-Main Gear-
ESP Ltd V-401 + D Activator N&B
De Armond/Guild 2000 M72 Bluesbird w/ USA Toastertops
Peavey JSX & XXL
Mesa Boogie Rectifier Vertical 2x12
Airis Effects Savage Drive
Last edited by TYSHADOWS at Dec 4, 2014,
Quote by TYSHADOWS
I like the micro terror. It has good sound for very cheap. Will it gig well? Depends. You could technically gig with anything if you put it through a PA. On its own though no 9 times out of ten it wont.

Sound wise the micro terror would have a hard time with trivium, but it could manage Metallica and definitely the more British sounding metal like priest and possibly some maiden. It may not be perfect but it will do it if you but a nice OD in front of the gain and boost it up. It still would only probably be called a crunch sound but it is a heavy crunch and i found it quite pleasing. It had the bite that i feel good metal needs. I've never played with a jet city or anything but i have used the micro terror and it can do classic metal, and modern metal too its just not voiced well exactly for modern metal. Sound is a personal opinion though.

If you like it, go for it. For 150 bucks if you end up hating it you wont take that big of a hit. It also wont be as hard to pawn off to someone. Make sure you try it before you buy it.

a 12" speaker is important for a good solid 'metal' tone, IIRC they have 8"s, don't do that great with an amp.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
a 12" speaker is important for a good solid 'metal' tone, IIRC they have 8"s, don't do that great with an amp.

I guess i didn't think about that, I'm not sure if which micro terror the TS is talking about. I was talking about the micro terror head which obviously you could pair with any cab (i paired it with a V30 212) but If hes talking about the combo then i can't speak for it and your right it probably wont have the sound they're looking for.
-Main Gear-
ESP Ltd V-401 + D Activator N&B
De Armond/Guild 2000 M72 Bluesbird w/ USA Toastertops
Peavey JSX & XXL
Mesa Boogie Rectifier Vertical 2x12
Airis Effects Savage Drive
Last edited by TYSHADOWS at Dec 4, 2014,
If you want the Orange thing, Dark Terror is a good option as is the TH100 above!
The Jim Root is nice also!
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
good call on the jet city
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
TS just so you know, the micro terror is crap.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
A dark terror just came up for 300 and i might be able to grab it for 250 used... do you think this would be a good alternative to the jet city? will it pull off metal? thanks
Quote by jakemcgovern21
A dark terror just came up for 300 and i might be able to grab it for 250 used... do you think this would be a good alternative to the jet city? will it pull off metal? thanks

I'll tell you Monday/Tuesday when mine turns up

So far the Jet City is one of my fave budget amps though!
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
yea thanks very much bud, it just looks killer and 250 seems like a good deal. Just the problem i have is that will 15w be loud enough??? will i be able to play in my bedroom with it cranked up a lil bit? if i bring it to the studio will it sound good for recording? thanks again, also will the jet city do brutal metal with the right pedals???
Quote by jakemcgovern21
yea thanks very much bud, it just looks killer and 250 seems like a good deal. Just the problem i have is that will 15w be loud enough??? will i be able to play in my bedroom with it cranked up a lil bit? if i bring it to the studio will it sound good for recording? thanks again, also will the jet city do brutal metal with the right pedals???

It really is, 15 is loud. Wattage doesn't equal volume. All about the headroom. It'll do the broots with a TS style boost in front of it I think. With the right pups obviously!
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
yea i was going to buy a bad monkey along with it if i get any amp. and maybe an eq. im just really tied between the dark terror and the jet city now..
Dark Terror is one channel and no FX loop, but see which one you like more!
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Theres no way in ireland to try either of them out :/ the dude said he would do the dark terror for 240 euros.. what you guys think?
if you're really concerned about headroom, the 50 watt jet city head isn't that much more than the 20 watter. though as fisheth rightly says, even 15 watts is really loud if you want to crank it. anything above about a quarter of a watt (if you want to crank it) is too loud for most people's bedroom situations.

bad monkey should work, yeah. i like a boss sd1 (daphon does a cheaper clone, though depending on how lucky you get it isn't always that much cheaper) as well.

EDIT: depends on where you are in ireland but last time i was there (several years ago, mind) 2 mac music in banbridge stocked orange.

dawsons is an orange dealer and there's one in belfast and bangor.

though whether they have the dark terror in stock is another thing (you'd obviously want to phone or email before travelling any distance). and it might be academic anyway if you're in kerry or somewhere like that.

EDIT #2: http://www.dawsons.co.uk/orange-dark-terror-guitar-amplifier-head Nope dawsons doesn't have it in either belfast or bangor.

and banbridge is a bit of a pain to get to (and i live in NI) There aren't really any big motorways that close to it etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Dec 5, 2014,
Dae i know your a big fan of jet city. would the 22h or 50h be able to get modern metal tones from it or do you reckon another amp like orange would do the job better?
what do you mean by "modern metal tones" exactly?

I haven't tried the dark terror

I've only tried the 50 watt jet city, fwiw. it gets heavy enough for me, but I'm generally playing more sort of 80s high gain tones.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Sorry guys, DKT has an FX loop. Was thinking of the Tiny terror.

If weight and space isn't an issue, probably the 50 for the headroom. But I like the 22.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
i'm not familiar with suicide silence but i reckon it'd do master of puppets and trivium (at very least the more recent trivium where they started using marshalls i think?)
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yea to be honest its difficult to find there tone, so many bands now are using kempers and all the profiles theres no real in depth information on there tone. they hae a board with 20 stomps with digital effects. not really my thing :/
Quote by Dave_Mc
i'm not familiar with suicide silence but i reckon it'd do master of puppets and trivium (at very least the more recent trivium where they started using marshalls i think?)

Peavey 6505's. Heafy used a XXX untill Ascendency where he switched over to a DSL, then used Mesa's, Marshall's and Bogners to record the Crusade, then went to the 6505 on Shogun and now uses them and Kempers now.

Yeah, I think the 50 would be better... As far as I know about the 50 the FX loop is a line level. Not so good for stompboxes, but great for rack units.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
yea. im just scared of not getting a really nice crunchy metal tone. and i just love the size of the orange and how it sounds so raw. i find this a hard descision :P
Quote by jakemcgovern21
yea i was going to buy a bad monkey along with it if i get any amp. and maybe an eq. im just really tied between the dark terror and the jet city now..

JCA22h/50h is more versatile than the DT by a long shot
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Dec 5, 2014,
The JCA is actually pretty versatile. I have the 50watt version and it can used at quiet volumes (though the 20 is actually worse in this regard). It cleans up alright too. The crunch channel has a very responsive gain knob and get go from clean to pushed Marshally tones. the OD channel can get really heavy. It's also really cheap, especially used, but the thomman prices are pretty ridiculous if you're in the right area.
Gear:

Fender Strat
PRS SE Custom 24
Agile AL-3100

Jet City JCA50H
Randall 2x12 wV30s
There's a shop in Dublin just off George street that has all Orange amps. They would let you try them out. I can't remember the name of the place but found it by just asking around.

Micro terror is very loud, deceptive for the size, but Jet City is the better choice.
Yes. Music maker. I'm going to run into the shop and give them ago tomorrow I think I'm just worried the jet city's won't do the high gain raw tone u know?
I like my Orange TH30 but it was $850USD. If you have the money for Orange then go for it.
On a budget try the Jet City.
Quote by jakemcgovern21
Yes. Music maker. I'm going to run into the shop and give them ago tomorrow I think I'm just worried the jet city's won't do the high gain raw tone u know?

Wut?

The Micro terror is a toy in comparison to the Jet City.

Go try them out at the store, and you'll see for yourself
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Jet Cities will do all the gain needed. Especially when paired with V30's.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by jakemcgovern21
I am talking about orange dark terrors as one has popped up for 250e second hand.

The DT will work but I really advise you get an EQ pedal to put in the loop, it will make the amp that much better.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Page 1 of 3