To improve my instrument and the sound quality of my electric guitar I may need to craft, and smith some parts myself:
Parts like a toggle switch, and port (The output jack)
Other pieces will need to wait until I gain some more knowledge of this process - expertise reasons.

Well I'll be starting here, at a mold - for hand crafted custom parts. My basis of mold knowledge comes from rock climbing hold since the part I am thinking about dealing with is miniscule I want to use a marble mold. It essentially will help the pure gold being used to craft the part set as an ideally pure gold part. This would make my piece more radiant, setting the gold into that type of mold should make it a bit beyond high quality like the actual wood used in construction of the instrument.

With a climbing hold foam is commonly shaped and turned into a mold to be filled with poly-urethane, hardened -> cracked open -> dried and tested.
With marble there is no foam may I ask some shaping ideas? Soft marble acquired in trophies I have dremmel, and hollow split style mold which would require some sort of extraordinary finish on the product. Something besides laser printers and the like please.

Further information and details are also needed, like.
Melting points, best methods, known techniques, crafting, hazards, how to easily reach the melting point, desired setting temperatures, quality and purity/ where to purchase materials, and good order sizes along with price range specs?

What is better to use than marble? This is high quality, time consuming, valuable work.

I mean I can "just" shape the marble inside out acquired from one of my trophies and finely make touches on the mold then pour my liquefied material(s); let set and carefully break open my earned marble which is my ideal mold structure (100% stone marble). So pure gold in stone marble, check right?
Those metal parts are generally machined, not molded, and certainly not by hand out of pure gold. This does not sound like a great idea to me. Also the output jack and the pickup selector switch are going to have no effect at all on your tone. This seems like a ton of work for very little payoff.

The switch tip I guess would be feasible but you'd still need a tap and die to get the screw holes, there's no way you can just freehand that. I think you'd have an awfully tough time molding any of these parts to a decent tolerance, especially if you're just doing it with a hand dremel and some spare marble you've got lying around.

You should also google the spot price for gold before you decide you're going to start making guitar parts out of it.
heavy parts for lots of tone and sustain out of brass or a hardened steel.. titanium if you get really good at stuff as it never breaks. graphite is a nice alternative too for nuts and saddles like graphtech uses.

the BIG thing everyone asked me (100s of people) was finding ways to put tremolos on guitars that never would have without wood routing or something along those lines. Perhaps a floyd rose bridge for guitars without the whammy bar on the base plate would be something I'd get when I was 19 but now I've got 10 or so guitars so it doesnt bother me.

floyd rose upgrades or regular floyd rose the company runned by schaller does make stone blocks for their floyd roses so you could be onto something. Perhaps a device to prevent neck diving like strap holders. Super easy to make and if they weigh enough to combat dives of really unbalanced guitars you could be rich.
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Dec 5, 2014,
I mean it's not exactly going to be categorized as jewellery, the reasons for the crafted parts do surpass the idea of shiny good, dull bad. What if the tone was calibrated prior to finishing the instrument? Can't the parts just be interchanged for higher quality effect(s) - what do you mean changing the port isn't "really" going to do much, essentially my question should be of the cable now and using higher quality wiring for effectiveness.

I was thinking more to a brass coating than a whole brass part, and it would go within the guitar. Why would you ever leave the implication that some switch craft output is equally rated with an Earni Ball port? Okay, well maybe this build example can provide detail to my topic:

G-400 Epiphone SG
Work being done -> entire revamp of electronics, new knobs, capacitors and all; is it ok to assume they need to be tuned, fabricated, and coated with brass? Even without any fabrication on the high end knobs (toning, and Volume) an improved port should be categorized as important. Aren't they tweaked in on the pro models?

I don't think SG models use taps
You are SEVERELY overestimating the effect an output jack will have. While it's common to replace the stock output jack of a inexpensive guitar with a better one such as a Switchcraft, the effect on tone is NOT extraordinary. Switchcraft jacks and switches are some of the best. Highly unlikely you will be able to make anything better in your own.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pearl & Ebony • Les Paul PlusTop Pro Honeyburst • AJ220VS • Squier Standard Stratocaster CAR
Marshall Class 5 Combo • Digitech HT-2 • Vox V847 • MXR M68 Uni-Vibe • Soul Food • BOSS SD-1 • Digitech RV-7
Making the output jack out of gold is going to do absolutely nothing to your tone. Chances are, whatever amp you're plugging the guitar into isn't going to have gold-plated contacts, so you're still going to get signal loss (if any at all) through that.

You're making a ton of work for yourself with no payoff.

Just buy these.

http://www.allparts.com/EP-4367-002-Switchcraft-Gold-Toggle-Switch_p_1409.html

http://www.allparts.com/EP-0055-002-Switchcraft-11-Gold-14-Input-Jack_p_1217.html

http://www.guitarfetish.com/USA-Style-Les-Paul-Toggle-Switch-GOLD_p_780.html
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 5, 2014,
This thread is awesome.

There is a reason switches are not made of gold, it is too soft of a material. Gold plated contacts is one thing, switch made of gold is just stupid.

With the condition of your G400, I'd buy a new (used) one for $150 and then if you feel like doing a few small mods, go for it. but the guitar you have now is a POS (at least it is aesthetically) and I wouldn't waist any money on it.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Evecin
What if the tone was calibrated prior to finishing the instrument?
Total gibberish. You're talking out your ass.
Can't the parts just be interchanged for higher quality effect(s) - what do you mean changing the port isn't "really" going to do much, essentially my question should be of the cable now and using higher quality wiring for effectiveness.

You are going to hear zero difference between a standard jack and a solid gold one, except for when the gold one wears out and breaks quicker because it's a crappy structural material. Making something out of gold does not make it higher quality.
Why would you ever leave the implication that some switch craft output is equally rated with an Earni Ball port?

They will sound the same. I guarantee it. The switchcraft one might last longer but from an electronic/sonic standpoint they are absolutely identical. All a jack needs to do is let a few electrons go through a tiny tab between the guitar wiring and the cable. Nothing of any importance is happening to the signal at that point. You could make the jack out of paperclips and it would sound exactly the same.

If you want to know how much difference a gold jack will make, here's how to do it:
Disassemble your instrument cable. Using a microscope and a scalpel, cut off half a millimeter (.02 inches) of the cable core. Replace the cable end and plug back in. That's the amount of resistance you've saved.

This is why your idea seems absurd. Gold is not magical. You are not improving your guitar just by stuffing it with shiny expensive metals.
Okay, well maybe this build example can provide detail to my topic:

G-400 Epiphone SG
Work being done -> entire revamp of electronics, new knobs, capacitors and all; is it ok to assume they need to be tuned, fabricated, and coated with brass?

No, that's absurd. You think you need to encase all of your electronics in brass? Where are you getting these notions? Not trying to be rude but your ideas make absolutely no sense. New pots, caps, shielding, wiring are all sensible upgrades. "Coated in brass" is so silly I wonder if I'm not understanding you correctly.
Even without any fabrication on the high end knobs (toning, and Volume) an improved port should be categorized as important. Aren't they tweaked in on the pro models?

For reliability, not for tone. You're going in completely the opposite direction; your jack would sound exactly the same and will almost certainly crap out on you sooner because gold sucks for reliability. A better jack is only better because it's more reliable, it's got nothing to do with tone. Same with the selector switch.

Your idea here is like saying you need a solid gold gas pedal to make your car go faster. The pedal itself does absolutely nothing besides tell the engine to go faster, so the material it is made out of is completely irrelevant beyond its ability to still function as a gas pedal. A solid gold gas pedal is a dumb idea; a solid gold output jack is a similarly dumb idea.
Quote by Evecin
To improve my instrument and the sound quality of my electric guitar I may need to craft, and smith some parts myself:

We don't "smith" here. We use a gold-deposition 3D printer that seems to run some kind of sintering process. Anyway, you stick a bar of gold in the hopper, it melts it, and then it carefully deposits it something like a dot matrix printer, but slowly building up the part. We can actually include chambers and spacing in the finished part so that it looks like solid gold but is lighter (gold's sort of heavy) and cheaper (gold's sort of expensive).

I made a quarter with it (it required some really clever programming to make sure it was the right weight) and then I used the quarter in a vending machine. Worked perfectly, and so I only spent, really, ONE quarter to get a 50 cent item, so I really made out!

I got frustrated at the gold wearing off my gold-plated pickup covers, so I made two out of solid gold, so that it can't wear out as fast. I was pretty proud of myself, because that saved me buying replacement gold *plated* covers every time I scratch up the ones on my cheap guitar.

I'm trying to figure out how to have something that I make out of my gold 3D printing machine plated with chrome and then reliced so that I have that used vintage look, but a really good solid gold part underneath. I was told I might have to plate it in copper and then in nickel first.

Gold's really easy to work with. It bends and hammers easily, too. We were thinking of, like, hammering it pretty thin and then figuring out a way to make, like Klingon letters bump up on it, and then, like maybe finding a dinosaur dig somewhere and burying it where they'll find it. And like maybe they'll think that the Klingons were around in dinosaur times. That'd be cool, and it'd show up on Yahoo or something.
Eh. I say go for it, but don't go trying to mask it all up as if it gives you some technical or tone advantage. We all know it doesn't.

If you got the money just do what you want, man.
'It takes 100 guitar players to change a light. One to change the light and 99 to stand around pointing, saying..."Yeah man, look...I can do that too"...'

My gear is in my Profile

Builds & Refurbs
Hondo 780 Deluxe
Gibson Studio
Epi LP100
Well, it's the switch so I could just check the composition of the 1st place engraved gold metal plate on my international championship Plaque; I mean it's more cost effective on my limited edition custom shop Instrument. Well with a standard output Brand earni ball resembling the mined metal mythril in runescape as composition combined with my golden switch not being of the Gibson name brand it would assumingly make me quite the playa. But all things set aside, where is the most likely retailer for stock epiphone SG parts and top of the line appealing guitar "wear" - you do know that gold as a good metal for electronic equipment is publicly "approved of" right? I mean people do live their lives happily involved within music, they spend a lot of money on their money maker's also, and they like to make the unbragable items sexy.
I find your posts really hard to understand for some reason, but here it goes. It will be extremely hard to shape a mould precisely enough to make an input jack what actually keeps the cable in, but doesnt sqeuse it to tight. And making it from gold is a really bad idea, since gold is not a very structuraly sound material, so it will break very quickly. To top it of, i think that copper is actually a better conductor than gold, except when it oxidizes. Thats the reason qulity cables have copper cores with gold plated conectors, since those ensure a good connection and protect the copper from oxidation. Thats basicly the only "approved" use of gold in electronics like this.

Anyway, just buy the toggle switch and input jack. You will not hear the difference. You can even buy gold plated harware, so that it will still looks "sexy".
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by Evecin
Well, it's the switch so I could just check the composition of the 1st place engraved gold metal plate on my international championship Plaque; I mean it's more cost effective on my limited edition custom shop Instrument.

There is nothing 'limited edition' or 'custom shop' about an Epiphone G400, despite what that little decal on the back of the neck tells you. It's a mass produced guitar just like all other mass produced guitars.
Well with a standard output Brand earni ball resembling the mined metal mythril in runescape as composition combined with my golden switch not being of the Gibson name brand it would assumingly make me quite the playa.

I'm sure the honeys will be all over your golden output jack and selector switch when they stop working because the metal wore out as gold is a structurally poor material.

Bitches love guitars that don't make any sound because the hardware on it is broken.
But all things set aside, where is the most likely retailer for stock epiphone SG parts and top of the line appealing guitar "wear" - you do know that gold as a good metal for electronic equipment is publicly "approved of" right? I mean people do live their lives happily involved within music, they spend a lot of money on their money maker's also, and they like to make the unbragable items sexy.

I really don't think people are going to care whether or not the jack and the switch are made of gold. If you really want to wow people, make the entire guitar out of gold, and encrust the binding with mother of toilet seat. The instant impression of ostentatiousness is not going to work if you're subtle about it.

If you want gold hardware, just purchase the parts I linked earlier. Making the parts from real gold is a very stupid idea. But whatever, if you refuse to listen then we'll just leave you to make your own mistakes.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 8, 2014,
Setting the gold into marble would improve the product of reconditioning the guitar body, there are a couple dings in it and I could let it dangle for a while but the fact is: I have to tie it up, and each time I want to play some music with it I'd have to un-tie the instrument get it down and then play on it. It's just far to long a process and I already hit my head on it just hanging from my ceiling.

It is red, and so I imagine the tone in good lighting and picture the wood and affix upon the quality of today's instruments. I was hoping for not to flashy a look, I mean the gold should meld with the instruments original appeal and eventually even hang well from it whenever I need to bring back out the wood.

Well, the female with multiple "connectors" is nice. I mean that if one was permanent and the other interchangeable it would have to satisfy me I guess; anyways it still doesn't include the part that should successfully a-tune the earniball 1/4(glass, tin, brass) with a brush or mildly waving of "static" rings to the guitar - if gear isn't interchanged properly the tone will never come out right, right? It would waste all efforts in upgrading factory stock gear. The problem isn't my pickups at the moment its more in the wiring and connection strength. Also, the look and appeal has greatly fallen since retail.
For this thread I give you a Delonge and I'll raise you a Lawrence

2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Evecin
complete nonsense

Ok, do you have a question? Otherwise I'm going to close this thread. Your incoherence is an issue.

PM me if there is a legitimate reason why you are unable to communicate normally and we'll try to accommodate you.
Is English your second language? I ask because your posts read like they were written either by someone who is ESL or by an AI trying to pass a Turing Test.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Evecin
Setting the gold into marble would improve the product of reconditioning the guitar body, there are a couple dings in it and I could let it dangle for a while but the fact is: I have to tie it up, and each time I want to play some music with it I'd have to un-tie the instrument get it down and then play on it. It's just far to long a process and I already hit my head on it just hanging from my ceiling.

It is red, and so I imagine the tone in good lighting and picture the wood and affix upon the quality of today's instruments. I was hoping for not to flashy a look, I mean the gold should meld with the instruments original appeal and eventually even hang well from it whenever I need to bring back out the wood.

Well, the female with multiple "connectors" is nice. I mean that if one was permanent and the other interchangeable it would have to satisfy me I guess; anyways it still doesn't include the part that should successfully a-tune the earniball 1/4(glass, tin, brass) with a brush or mildly waving of "static" rings to the guitar - if gear isn't interchanged properly the tone will never come out right, right? It would waste all efforts in upgrading factory stock gear. The problem isn't my pickups at the moment its more in the wiring and connection strength. Also, the look and appeal has greatly fallen since retail.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Quote by TheSennaj
I know that floral foam can be shaped with a toothbrush and my design would come from the part within my instrument; the gold toggle switch having custom angles and being whatever so size I please.

A rock is just harder and uses different shaping methods. The glass like look from the marble is ideal because it is Winter time and I preferably want my pieces set in cold stone just not necessarily of the grey kind. I would have the time to stare at the black and white to decide an ideal cut out as well as keeping my assumption that the marble will powder-ize well.