The earvana nut that came stock on the guitar has worn down on the low E and G strings and I'm struggling to find a replacement.

The nut measures just under 42mm, and I cant find anything that would fit it.

Where in Australia would I find a nut to fit without going to a luthier?
Last edited by 12ie at Dec 5, 2014,
42mm is a very standardised nut with.

Brand new string nuts are always slightly oversized in width, height and thickness, so that you can file them down to the size you need.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 5, 2014,
A new Earvana compensated nut should be around $25-30 on Fleabay. Google it, and you'll find one, even in Oz. Most nuts are shipped slightly oversize so that you can shape/sand it to fit. A tiny spot (not a full-on slathering) of titebond is enough to hold it in place. Overdo it and you'll chew up your guitar getting it out next time.
baking soda, super glue and the right files and you're set. I'm a fan of graptech tusq nuts myself. They come in black or white.

baking soda and super glue create something as strong as concrete. I saw this guy on youtube who is a master guitar builder who everyone learns from as he founded stewmac with a few others... anyways ... he smashed the baking soda and super glue with a hammer and it's very strong. It's a drop filling process and then you just file at the nut with the right files. Every string has a certain diameter. 46 for example , 52 ... even one designed for a 0.008 string. Since we're not luthiers on here perhaps just go graphtech as getting a bone nut cut is a lot of money. Local shops where I live it's about 40$.
Thanks for the input guys, also sorry for the 2nd thread i had internet issues and didnt realise this one went through.

Anyway, i think ill keeping trying to find graphtech nut. The only earvana nut suitable cost AU$50 + another 15 for postage.

Also, when the nut has a certain radius, is that referring to the bottom of the nut which makes contact with the neck, or the curve beneath the string slots?
Quote by 12ie
Thanks for the input guys, also sorry for the 2nd thread i had internet issues and didnt realise this one went through.

Anyway, i think ill keeping trying to find graphtech nut. The only earvana nut suitable cost AU$50 + another 15 for postage.

Also, when the nut has a certain radius, is that referring to the bottom of the nut which makes contact with the neck, or the curve beneath the string slots?

The bottom of the nut is usually flat.
The string slots will usually follow the radius of the fretboard.
Last edited by 12ie at Dec 5, 2014,
Quote by dspellman
The bottom of the nut is usually flat.
The string slots will usually follow the radius of the fretboard.

Thanks, it was probably a stupid question, its just some cheap strat nuts I've bought off ebay have been curved without a flat bottom.