The best bundle is not to bundle. Buy your gear separately, and you'll have better gear overall.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Either that, and/or save until I had a better budget. IMHO, new gear that cheap can be bad enough to be an actual detriment to learning and enjoyment, and may not last long.

My first guitar was a cheaaaaaap acoustic that lasted less than a year- the neck warped. And its fretwork wasn't all that good, either.

In contrast, the second-hand Ovation and the Washburn fretless acoustic-electric bass I bought after junking THAT guitar have lasted me 26 years. Neither cost me more than a few hundred,
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 4, 2014,
My first ever guitar was called an 'Encore'. Basically strat-shaped but cheaper than a Squier even.

I would recommend doing it properly first time round. I'm beginning to realise as i get older that buy cheap definitely does mean buy twice. If this is going to be anything but a 'pick it up once a week for 30 mins' thing for you, i'd recommend going for something a bit sturdier.

The reason for this is that the cheaper guitars are made from rubbish wood and components, both in terms of the sound you will get and - most importantly - the neck will bend all the time and you will be forever tuning it. When i say forever i genuinely mean every 5 or 10 minutes.

Not only this, but the action/fretwork and general feel of it will most probably make it harder for you to learn as quickly as you would on a decent set up.

You can get lucky with cheaper end guitars - i've got an old Yamaha RGX and the tuning stability on it is incredible and the neck has never been anything except straight as an arrow. I've had it 6 years and never adjusted it. I've not played a Pacifica but i'd plump for one of those on personal experience.

If not, your best bet is to go used and pick up half decent stuff cheaper. Things like the Ibanez RG series can be had for peanuts and are renowned for being decent starter guitars.
Last edited by vidarrt at Dec 5, 2014,
If you really want to go with one of those bundles, the Squier Affinity packs with the little Frontman amps aren't bad for what they are. But yeah, even for a first guitar, it is absolutely worth it to spend the extra money and get something a step up from entry level.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
IMHO, new gear that cheap can be bad enough to be an actual detriment to learning and enjoyment

This.

Buying guitars that cheap is a false economy.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Search Guitar Centers Used section online for a Yamaha Pacifica. They can be had for $100 or less and have a great reputation.

As for the amp I wouldn't buy one yet. Just use the Rocksmith game for your sound and play through the TV. You want to sound like Pantera or the Ramones or Slayer or Acoustic just click the button. Once you stay with it you'll gravitate to a certain sound and then post back and we can help find an amp you'll like.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by Nest0r
I've been looking for good beginner guitar bundles that are affordable, this one peaked my interest.

"Piqued" my interest. Not peaked.

"Peaked" is an eggcorn -- a word or spelling that sounds like the correct word in an idiom, just as eggcorn sounds like acorn. http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/

"Good Guitar Bundle" is usually an oxymoron -- it's rare to find one that will really make sense for a beginner. When I'm assisting a beginner, it's far more important to find a good guitar (it is, after all, the instrument that you will be producing the music on) and far less important to have a good amplifier. When you become a good enough player to be critical about sound, then your choices of amplifier will come into play, and you'll be better able to select one for your particular taste in music.
Last edited by dspellman at Dec 5, 2014,
Some people argue that beginning on an acoustic guitar is best. Years ago, I started with an electric bundle and would strongly advise against it. The gear still works, but it is very low quality. A few friends have asked me to help them pick out instruments and I always tell them if they're serious about learning to play, they should drop a little extra money to buy the gear separately.
That is actually not a bad 1st rig.

The "bundle" is usually a marketing tool to make selling easier. It rarely serves a player but this one is better than most. I recommend a Squier Tele or Strat and Roland Micro-Cube as a decent 1st rig. Both are low cost, quality instruments that will encourage learning. You could probably find them used for $150 if you are patient.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Dec 5, 2014,
Don't buy bundles. I bought a Squier bundle almost identical to the one you posted. The neck of mine warped, and other than that it's always been about as playable as a tissue box with rubber bands around it. Of course, anyone new to the guitar will not realize that it is junk until they get something better. Try to go with something used. Maybe even spend the $200 entirely on a used guitar and buy an amp after a month or two of playing. A $200 used Epiphone G-400 is going to be much better than any Squier and you'll learn on it a lot quicker because you won't be fighting so much with the strings being 10 miles off of the neck.