Page 1 of 2
Why? I have just listened through theirs songs and apart from Stairway and Good times bad times, I can't seem to appreciate their rock songs. I am a beginner rock guitarist. SORRY IF I sound dumb but I hope to play some Led songs in the future.
No accounting for taste so play the stuff you like. Zep I rocked my world when I was 13 and things haven't been the same since.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
This may not make a lot of sense to you, but Zeppelin broke a lot of rules and paved their own way in popular rock music.
They did things that are commonplace for rock bands these days. For one thing, they refused to trim their songs to less than 3 minutes long. That may not sound like a big deal these days, but if you didn't do this in the 60's your songs did NOT go on the radio. As a result, they passed on several record deals. They made it acceptable to write songs over 7 or 8 minutes long.

Like what you want. Stairway is one of the reasons they are so popular. It's one of the classic rock epics, and usually the first song everyone thinks of when you say Led Zeppelin.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by yayapapaya38
Why? I have just listened through theirs songs and apart from Stairway and Good times bad times, I can't seem to appreciate their rock songs. I am a beginner rock guitarist. SORRY IF I sound dumb but I hope to play some Led songs in the future.

I don't like em either. But hey, never let other people influence your taste so you would be cool listening to the typical Guns n Roses, Ac/dc, Led Zeppelin, Lynyrd Skynyrd. Meh... Overplayed we need new instruments cause i think everything has allready been done on guitar.
Quote by yayapapaya38

Go listen to:
Whole Lotta Love
Heartbreaker
Nobody's fault But Mine
Kashmir
In The Evening
The Rain Song
All My Love

then get back to us and we'll chat
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
I'm not a big fan either, to me they're OK, but that's about it. Everyone has a different opinion about all bands.

But why would you want to play some of their songs if you don't like them? Stick to playing what you enjoy, and you'll enjoy playing more.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by ryanbwags
This may not make a lot of sense to you, but Zeppelin broke a lot of rules and paved their own way in popular rock music.
They did things that are commonplace for rock bands these days. For one thing, they refused to trim their songs to less than 3 minutes long. That may not sound like a big deal these days, but if you didn't do this in the 60's your songs did NOT go on the radio. As a result, they passed on several record deals. They made it acceptable to write songs over 7 or 8 minutes long.

Like what you want. Stairway is one of the reasons they are so popular. It's one of the classic rock epics, and usually the first song everyone thinks of when you say Led Zeppelin.

Along these lines...

Zeppelin faced pressure from producers to shorten Stairway to Heaven because an 8 min song could NEVER achieve success on the radio. To this day, it is one of the most played songs on the radio... I am glad they stuck to their guns and did not sacrifice their artistic integrity to conform to perceived commercial limitations.

I think a lot of Zeppelin die hards look down on Stairway to Heaven due to its commercial success. Personally I can only listen to it about once a year, but still really like the song.

TS, I recommend you listen to "Over the Hills and Far Away". This song was a big motivator for me when I started learning the guitar. I also really enjoy No Quarter...

Overall if you do not like Led Zeppelin; you just do not like them... despite what some people may tell you, there is nothing wrong with that.
They really aren't that popular anymore outside of the "40+ white male" and "10-16 white male that just discovered guitar and rock and has not yet outgrown that phase" demographics.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Rock & Roll is a regular part of our live set that always gets positive response. Last month I was playing in a live jam and somebody started off with Stairway. I thought "really?" but it turned out to be my favorite song of the night. I pulled 80% of the outro solo out of my azz.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by theogonia777
They really aren't that popular anymore outside of the "40+ white male" and "10-16 white male that just discovered guitar and rock and has not yet outgrown that phase" demographics.

^ Don't forget the "metal is the only music" demographic.

I don't listen to Zep that much. But if I said I haven't taken anything from Paige, I'd be a liar.
To each is their own. They must be somewhat popular hence all those record sales. Its the same arguement people make about Nirvana and how they "paved the way" for grunge despite making really simple music and not even being the first grunge band at the time. Once your a so-called pioneer many people gravitate towards you in time. Thats my take on it atleast. That being said im a big fan of Led Zeppelin because some of Jimmy Page's guitar work and creative is second to none with possibly the exception of Jimi Hendrix
Interesting thread this one. I was in my 20's then and I could never really get into Led Zep but like most bands whenever I buy a CD out of the whole CD I generally only really like 3 or 4 tracks. For some reason I was never a big fan of Pink Floyd which was almost heresy in those days!
guess you had to be there. I was a teenager in the 70s and can tell you that Led Zeppelin were gods back then. they invented a much copied style so yeah nowadays they might not seem like a big deal as you've heard stuff like that a million times. the band had a really cool mystique that had little to do with the music. Plant was a truly original vocalist and Jimmy Page a true guitar hero. much has been built on the foundation that LZ started. I can understand why folks to young to remember any of this might say "what's the big deal". it's a matter of history just as much as music. at the time they were fresh and trailblazing, something that may be lost on new listeners.
I think it also helps to listen to each album the whole way through and think of it as one continuous song. For me I started listening to them just by checking out their most popular stuff on itunes but appreciated it more when I went through all the albums. I honestly appreciate paiges guitar playing the most. Plant has a great voice but for me a lot of his lyrics are repetitive and he says baby too much.
Led Zeppelin was among famous rock bands of its time. I think they will always be counted among best band of all time. This band always produced top class music and songs. Who will forget them?
Quote by Solomon8
Who will forget them?

Probably most people that don't listen to rock music and/or weren't around at that time. Just ask the average high school kid today about Led Zeppelin. Probably less than half of them know who that even is and most that do know probably only know them as "some old rock band that my dad listens to" and probably couldn't name one song other than maybe Stairway to Heaven, and they probably don't even know what it sounds like.

At the same time that high school kid can probably tell you everything about Luke Bryan, Rick Ross, Taylor Swift, or Deadmau5 (depending on what part of the country and what sort of clique they are from) because that's what today's generation actually listens to (and not classic rock). That's just the way it is, for better or for worse and there really is nothing you can do about it other than get over it and accept it for what it is.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777

As someone in their mid 20's with many friends, family, and coworkers of similar age that still listen to them and similar bands on a regular basis, I can say from my own personal experience that this is inaccurate. Setting aside that Zeppelin is still regularly played on my local radio stations.
Quote by Resiliance
I'm more of a hermafrodite guy.

Quote by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Original creator of the Resi Signal(s)
Only old shred forum regs get it

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
I started getting into Led Zeppelin back in the mid 80's while I was in college. It wasn't long before I started believing they were the best rock band ever. Now, 30 years later, I still consider them to be the greatest rock band ever. I sort of burned myself out on them, so I don't listen to them very often now, but when I do they still sound great to me. They just don't make hard rock bands like they used to.
Quote by TheUltimateSin
As someone in their mid 20's with many friends, family, and coworkers of similar age that still listen to them and similar bands on a regular basis, I can say from my own personal experience that this is inaccurate. Setting aside that Zeppelin is still regularly played on my local radio stations.

Just because you and a few people you know are exceptions doesn't make you the rule. Also the only stations regularly playing them... are the stations that aim towards the aforementioned demographics.
Led Zep was the natural progression by Page from the last Yardbirds album and it's was only right that they changed their name from the New Yardbirds to Led Zepplin (soon after they started touring as "The New Yardbirds" they became Led Zepplin). It was a different approach to a heavier music at that time. What they did was completely new at that time and I can understand how a younger listener today may find much of what they hear from Zep to be cliche, but it was original in it's time and there was no one like them in 1969 when their first album came out. After 45 years a lot of their stuff still sounds great and original and we are still discussing them. That's the measure of a great band. Even after all these years how many bands can tackle "The Ocean" and play it correctly with strange timing?
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Dec 15, 2014,
Quote by theogonia777
Just because you and a few people you know are exceptions doesn't make you the rule. Also the only stations regularly playing them... are the stations that aim towards the aforementioned demographics.

Hence why I included the line "my own personal experience". As for the radio stations, no they aren't strictly classic rock stations. The stations I'm hear Zeppelin(and similar older bands) on are mostly focused on more recent bands. They usually stick to mid-90's to early 2000's crap(Spoiler Alert: Personal Opinion Detected)

Also, just as an fyi, it's quite a bit more than a "few" people(not that you could have known that seeing as how we don't know each other)
Quote by Resiliance
I'm more of a hermafrodite guy.

Quote by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Original creator of the Resi Signal(s)
Only old shred forum regs get it

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
Last edited by TheUltimateSin at Dec 10, 2014,
I agree. It's one thing to be creative in a certain style of music and do it well but a band like Zepplin wasn't following a trend. They were amoung a handful of bands in 1969-70 that pioneered what we are hearing today.

I know I've said this before in other posts but..........it's like saying Thomas Edison wasn't that big a deal because his first light bulb only gave off 1 watt of light. Before Edison there was no light bulb. Before Zepplin, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple etc. There was no heavy metal, heavy rock or anything remotely like it. Everything that followed up till today was built on that foundation.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Dec 15, 2014,
Quote by theogonia777

radio isn't the only place music is played. bands like the Beatles, Rolling Stones and of course LZ are still familiar to many people that were born after their demise. sure if you ask the average kid who Grand Funk is they most likely won't know. games like Rock Band and guitar Hero have gone a long way in getting younger folks to listen to classic rock. classic rock is all over current advertising as well. while Zep may not be viewed with the reverence as they were back in the day they are still well know and appreciated.
Quote by yayapapaya38

The Rolling Stones had the swagger. And The Beatles had all the hit songs. But there was something about Led Zeppelin. Not just glamour, the other bands had that in equal measure. What Led Zeppelin had was force, power, mystery, that unknown factor that you don't know exists until you hear it for the first time.
Occult knowledge and a pact with Lucifer. But so did the Beatles and the Stones. Jimmy Page was just really deep into it. Wonder why the song remains the same was so weird? It was all about the occult.

I'm crazy you say.

"Will you heed the masters call, oh satan and man"

There's your mysterious element right there. Same thing with any band that had ties to Alleister Crowley, they were messing around with magic and spirits in occult rituals. Zoso means Sol twice. The human mind rejects such information initially, I await the personal attacks.

If you're buying a stairway to heaven and you think all that glitters is gold you aren't buying yourself into heaven because logically you can't(the point of the song) and you are actually going to hell. He doesn't know the meaning my ass.
Last edited by farcry at Dec 23, 2014,
Quote by yayapapaya38
Why? I have just listened through theirs songs and apart from Stairway and Good times bad times, I can't seem to appreciate their rock songs.

Because not everyone in the world is you. It's fine if you don't like them, no one is wrong in this. Not the people who DO like them and not you for NOT liking them.

It's an entirely subjective thing. Don't worry about it.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by deadsmileyface
not sure. they're pretty awful.

If you mean pretty awful at being awful, then yeah
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Ah-ah-aahhhhhhhh, ah-ah-aahhhhhhhh
We come for the land of the ice and snow
From the midnight where the hot springs flow.
The hammer of the gods will drive our ships to new lands,
To fight the horde, singing and crying: Valhalla, I am coming!
On we sweep with threshing oar, Our only goal will be western shore.

Definitely my favorite song of Led Zeppelin
Dean Dave Mustaine VMNTX electric (Black)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro electric (Ebony w/ gold)
Orange Micro Terror 20W Hybrid amp head
Orange Crush Pro 120W amp head
Kustom 4x12 cabinet
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus Power Supply
Korg Pitchblack Chromatic Pedal Tuner
Electro-Harmonix XO Metal Muff
MXR M-103 Blue Box
TC Electronic Dark Matter
TC Electronic Fangs Metal
Hello! I must admit I hadn't found the appreciation for Led Zeppelin until a year ago. In the beginning, I only listened to the song Whole Lotta Love because I really like the melody and the guitar riffs but then I decided to give the whole album a listen as well as the other albums and started to appreciate them, especially the guitar playing since I am a big guitar freak. Also, I thought Robert Plant is such a good singer and I really appreciate that.

Some of my favourite songs are:
Black Dog
Immigrant Song
Rock and Roll

and more!

Overall, I think they are great musicians and deserve all the success. Jimmy Page is one of my favourite guitarists!
Quote by yayapapaya38

I don't really know. They've got a lot of negative points.

Dull songs that go on far too long.

Robert Plant singing "baby, baby" whenever he can't think of better lyrics. Which is most of the time. Also, his caterwauling sounds like he's seriously in love with himself.

Pretentiousness in many areas.

Page's occasionally rough playing.

Their good points: grooves and riffs.
It's all about the taste. Each person has personal experience, and for me LZ is the best.

Here are a few reason why Led Zep is so important to the history of heavy rock and metal.

In 1968 when Led Zep recorded the classic 1st album they did it without any record company support. Page produced and paid for the recording with money borrowed from Peter Grant.

Today bands release albums once every few years. They often use many hundreds of hours of studio time recording and mixing an album. The entire 1st Led Zeppelin album was done using a total of 36 hours of recording studio time and that included mixing.

Not only was the music and playing completely new and highly inventive for the time but Page pioneered many production techniques that are considered staples of recording today. He is one of the first producers to use "ambient room recording" by placing mics at different distances from the amps to pick up the room acoustics. While this is a standard technique today it was not in 1968. Page also developed the famous "backwards echo" technique by turning the recorded multi track tape upside down and running the vocal or guitar track backwards through an echo and recording the echo on another track so that the echo tail appears before the vocal. Check out the production values of Zed Zep with any other band recorded in 1968 and you'll be amazed how far advanced Page was in his ability to record loud distorted guitars, big powerful drums and screaming vocals. The bass on "Dazed and Confussed still has more bottom and punch than most bass recorded today.

While the first Led Zep album did have some overdubbed guitars, the main tracks were all recorded live in the studio (including the vocals which Page says leaked badly into the instrument mics). How many bands today record live in the studio? I think not many. Today it's a piece at a time.

Lastly, the first Zep album was recorded at Olympic Studios, which as far as I know was still an 8 track studio in 1968. (The Rolling Stones used Olympic as their main recording studio until 1972 and the Beatles recorded several songs there including "All You Need Is Love" at Olympic when Abbey Road was unavailable.)

Mostly it's the musicianship and songs that may seem cliché by todays standards but was the blueprint for much of what followed.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Feb 18, 2015,
I'm honestly not sure.

But....
I did just buy a vintage Led Zepplin Blacklight poster....just cause it looked cool.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
The reason Zeppelin is popular is how they approached everything and changed forever how music was created to how it was recorded. They in my mind are one of the four bands in the 70s that changed the game when it came to rock music. Floyd, The Who, Cream, and Zeppelin. They took styles that were traditionally were not elements in rock and forged them deep into the genre core. They continue to do it on every album. Not every Zeppelin is close to being the same. Zeppelin 1 and Zeppelin 2 are most likely to being close in terms of style. They broke the mold at what they did. Even though it is not my favorite, Led Zeppelin 3 is extremely unique. They took chances like that and they pay off.

Jimmy Page was insane in his methods in recording. He was session guitarist for a long time. He would them in certian spots, certian rooms. I remember reading a story about their drummer recording his tracks on stairwell one time. I believe that was Zeppelin 4.

It was the stories, the style, and they were unique to their time. They were the Van Halen of the 70s. They change the scene and how things were done. Personally I am more of 90s guys myself, but I still listen to Zeppelin on occasion. Personally I grew out of them. I like more of their acoustic/electric songs. Thank you is my favorite song by them.
"Music became a healer for me. And I learned to listen with all my being. I found that it could wipe away all the emotions of fear and confusion relating to my family." Eric Clapton
Agree completely with above. While Zeppelin is not my favorite band by any means I lived through that era and appreciate everything they did up to the last few albums which I think are crap. I had been a Yardbirds fan (still am) who followed Page as they morphed into Led Zep. You can't compare Zep to other bands because they were unique and original. They never sounded like anything but Led Zeppelin. They were pioneers in heavy metal not followers. Most others that came later in the 70's followed their lead then went their own way building on their foundation. It's not a stretch to say that without their influence much of what we hear today in metal would not exist or at the very least sound completely different.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Page 1 of 2