I have the opportunity to buy a 2003 American Standard Strat for $400 (started at $600). I haven't checked it out in person yet but based on the details and the photos, it seems like a good deal (and yes, I know that if it's too good to be true, it probably is).

Details:
* 2003 USA mfg
* Loaded with EMG DG20 pickguard
* Neck appears to be straight (at first blush)
* Lots of buckle rash (but that doesn't bother me that much) and the seller claims that other than the standard micro pick scratches in the clear coat, there aren't any other dings, dents, or scrapes
* Plush lined case

If you were in my shoes, would you consider this ax for $400?

Front

Headstock

Neck 1

Neck 2

Back & Case
Yep, I bought mine for $450. A nice axe.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Hell yeah, that's actually a pretty good deal.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Actives aren't my cup of tea, so I wouldn't, but if you dig it, do it, $450 seems like a good deal to me. I'd get a pic of the back of the headstock though so we can verify the serial number.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
I have a pic of the serial number and it matches up with everything else I've been told.
instant yes
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
At that price? Oh ****in shit yeah. Even if it takes a little setup work, if it's playable, it's worth that.

That is a crazy amount of buckle rash, though. Is it really that hard to avoid? What, is the guy wearing some ridiculous Texas belt buckle and grinding the guitar on it?
Last edited by the_bi99man at Dec 5, 2014,
It is probably worth it for the neck alone, which may be just as well as some of the other bits I'm not so happy about. I don't like the gap between the underside of the 22 fret extension and the pick plate - it might just be because it has the wrong pick plate. And I thought 2000 Strats had 2 post trems but I don't know if it was all US Strats. Also, why doesn't it have the 5th hole in the neck heel plate for the micro adjustment?
Quote by John Sims
It is probably worth it for the neck alone, which may be just as well as some of the other bits I'm not so happy about. I don't like the gap between the underside of the 22 fret extension and the pick plate - it might just be because it has the wrong pick plate. And I thought 2000 Strats had 2 post trems but I don't know if it was all US Strats. Also, why doesn't it have the 5th hole in the neck heel plate for the micro adjustment?

After taking a harder look at this (based on your post), it's looking more and more like a Highway 1 strat...which would explain the 6 point trem, why the finish came off so much on the back, the two string trees, etc.
yeah still worth $400 but it's not as great a deal as an American standard at that price.
coming from a guy who hates fenders; absolutely with no doubt in my mind coming from someone who used to flip guitars and made a ton of money doing it. if you hate it you can just swap out the pickguard for one on ebay and still make 100-150$ off that loaded pickguard.

a new pink floyd record just came out so that should be a very easy sale if you're not liking the EMG pickups. But delicate sound of thunders version of comfortably numb on the solo and the fact they aren't weak output buzz like a hornets nest single coils it's a big yes from me. Plus the electronics do more than just cut the treble from two pickups.
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Dec 5, 2014,
I'd want the original pickups and parts with it as well. If you get those, it's a good price. You might want to put it back to original someday, instead of having some else's Frankenstein.
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
He doesn't have the original pups or pickguard so I'm going to pass. I did come across another 2013 American Standard in mystic blue for $700 that I might go after instead.
Probably a wise move. The neck certainly looked legitimate, and sell on Ebay for around $300, the rest didn't seem to have the provenance of the neck. Subject to if you liked the pickups or not perhaps $400 isn't a bad price for what it is... $600 was.