Someone posted this on a local sale group for my area, a Gibson missing the strings and bridge for $45 (quite a low price for if it is legit, which is why I am wondering), and he says it's full sized. I want to make sure this is legit before investing, it's been quite a while since purchasing a guitar and I've never owned a Gibson and only seen a few in person. The main concerns as far as looks that have me curious would be the fact that there is no switch at the top and the logo is in an odd location, and the truss rod cover looks a bit off, especially with having 3 screws (I thought Les Pauls had two..). Thanks!

LET ME KNOW IF THIS IMAGE DOESN'T WORK (I'm new here) - http://s1.postimg.org/j0kv1r0nj/10805543_882439828456297_2771511000377282209_n.jpg
Last edited by xxchibibelxx at Dec 5, 2014,
No, it is NOT a real Gibson

Last edited by paruwi at Dec 5, 2014,
Hahahaha. Absolutely not.

Although, for only $45, it might still be a playable guitar that could be cool to **** with. At that price, I'd buy it. But no, it's not a "real" Gibson.
Last edited by the_bi99man at Dec 5, 2014,
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
that is a Maestro by Gibson. They are extremely cheap guitars sold in big department stores. I'd take the cheapest Epiphone over that anyday.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I would just like to point out that the reason it doesn't have a toggle switch is because it only has one pickup.

Anyway, yeah, it's a Maestro. For $45, though, I would probably buy it and just mod it out. I mean, why the hell not?
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Sleaze Disease

Anyway, yeah, it's a Maestro. For $45, though, I would probably buy it and just mod it out. I mean, why the hell not?

You can't polish a turd.

If you want to mod something for the purpose of just modding, then it's fair game. But I personally want a good guitar to come out of it.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 5, 2014,
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
^ I saw that episode, including the idiom, "When shit hits the fan"

But still, I see it as a waste of time to mod a guitar that's fundamentally a heap of junk.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
But still, I see it as a waste of time to mod a guitar that's fundamentally a heap of junk.

Because some people have the know-how to do so and depending on what you're wanting to do, can be cheaper than buying a more expensive guitar and less time consuming than starting from scratch.

It's not hard to understand. Mind you, so say you suck at that kind of stuff so maybe you just don't want to understand.

Is it a waste of time? Maybe. But so is playing guitar so what's your point? If the guitar you're fixing up isn't completely junk (as in everything works like the truss rod etc...) it's most likely worth it if you're up for the work.

You can say buy a more expensive guitar so you don't have to mod it but chances are it's gonna get modded anyway. Why not start of cheaper if it works for you and you can manage?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Dec 5, 2014,
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Because some people have the know-how to do so and depending on what you're wanting to do, can be cheaper than buying a more expensive guitar and less time consuming than starting from scratch.

It can be, but I don't see how it is in this case, when the amount of mods you'd need to do exceeds the cost of the guitar itself.
It's not hard to understand. Mind you, so say you suck at that kind of stuff so maybe you just don't want to understand.

Wow that's not presumptuous whatsoever.
Is it a waste of time? Maybe. But so is playing guitar so what's your point? If the guitar you're fixing up isn't completely junk (as in everything works like the truss rod etc...) it's most likely worth it if you're up for the work.

To get the best possible guitar for the money? If people want to mod cheap guitars, then that's fine. I'd rather not if the mods will cost more than the guitar is worth.
You can say buy a more expensive guitar so you don't have to mod it but chances are it's gonna get modded anyway. Why not start of cheaper if it works for you and you can manage?

Well if it works for them, that's fine. I just wouldn't bother with that particular guitar in my opinion.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
It can be, but I don't see how it is in this case, when the amount of mods you'd need to do exceeds the cost of the guitar itself.

Wow that's not presumptuous whatsoever.

To get the best possible guitar for the money?

Well if it works for them, that's fine. I just wouldn't bother with that particular guitar. It's called having an opinion.

Says who? You could make a guitar playable without swapping parts out. Sometimes all a junker needs is a good setup and maybe a fret dressing. Maybe replace some pots but if you have the tools and you're doing it yourself I don't see how it would cost you more. Maybe if you plan on overhauling it.

If it's not true then whatever. Plus it was mostly a tongue in cheek response but if you wanna take it seriously fine. You have said more than once that you aren't into modding though.

Yeah, you could also do that by modding one? So what's your point.

Cool, and I'm not saying you're not entitled to one. I'm saying that there's a point (even if you don't see it). I'm not saying that in this situation he should go the modding route either. I'm just saying there's a point to modding. Jeez.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Says who? You could make a guitar playable without swapping parts out. Sometimes all a junker needs is a good setup and maybe a fret dressing. Maybe replace some pots but if you have the tools and you're doing it yourself I don't see how it would cost you more. Maybe if you plan on overhauling it.

Sometimes, yes. But imo this guitar would require pretty much an entire overhaul to be passable. And even if you did, it's still a bolt-on necked Les Paul Junior copy made out of plywood. And I just don't find that desirable no matter how many modifications you make.
If it's not true then whatever. Plus it was mostly a tongue in cheek response but if you wanna take it seriously fine. You have said more than once that you aren't into modding though.

Yeah, you could also do that by modding one? So what's your point.

Cool, and I'm not saying you're not entitled to one. I'm saying that there's a point (even if you don't see it). I'm not saying that in this situation he should go the modding route either. I'm just saying there's a point.

Since when? I've modded guitars and amps in my time, I just don't have the tools or skills when it comes to things like fretwork and I lack the experience and confidence to attack my guitars with a file. I'd just destroy it.

Having a preference towards modding/not modding depends on what guitar it is, and how much such modifications will cost. I just don't have that preference in this situation.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Sometimes, yes. But imo this guitar would require pretty much an entire overhaul to be passable. And even if you did, it's still a bolt-on necked Les Paul Junior copy made out of plywood. And I just don't find that desirable no matter how many modifications you make.

Since when? I've modded guitars and amps in my time, I just don't have the tools or skills when it comes to things like fretwork and I lack the experience and confidence to attack my guitars with a file. I'd just destroy it.

Having a preference towards modding/not modding depends on what guitar it is, and how much such modifications will cost.

Yeah and if you just said that instead of saying 'you can't polish a turd' and we wouldn't be here.

I agree with you (which is why I said I agree that the guitar in question probably isn't worth it) on that but what I don't agree with is the notion of 'don't mod cheap guitars they're junk'. If you're perfectly capable there should be no problems if you decide it's worth it and check out your modding base before you commit to the work.

I've modded plenty of cheap guitars (including fret work stuff) and some of them costed me more (because I wanted to spend that on parts that aren't needed) and some of them costed me nothing to get fixed up. It's all relative and it all depends on if you personally think it's worth it and what's needed. That's all I mean.

Heck with places like GFS/Artec/Wilkinson you can get hardware for dirt cheap now. If you really wanted to fix something on a budget without going over initial costs, it's probably more feasible now than ever.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
That is a very low price, I've heard of Fender Stratocaster(s) being sold like that so it is believable.
But, that instrument is not very comparable to the excellent quality of the fender I played on. He has a mustang amp; I cannot label that a Gibson.
Last edited by Evecin at Dec 5, 2014,
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Yeah and if you just said that instead of saying 'you can't polish a turd' and we wouldn't be here.

You still agree in this particular case though.
but what I don't agree with is the notion of 'don't mod cheap guitars they're junk'. If you're perfectly capable there should be no problems if you decide it's worth it and check out your modding base before you commit to the work.

In this context, given the plywood LP copy as the cheap guitar in question, I stand by that statement.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Yeppers.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

In this context, given the plywood LP copy as the cheap guitar in qeustion, I stand by that statement.

Why does it matter if it's plywood?

Doesn't seem to affect the ES-355 or a ton of those double neck Epiphones.

A junk guitar is junk, doesn't matter what it's made of. That Maestro guitar is most likely junk but not cause it's ply.

Okay I'll stop being a pedant now
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Thanks guys, I'm not interested in fixing any guitars up anytime soon, when I was a teenager I loved to mod guitars but I don't have the money to do so anymore, and I guess I also got lazy because I haven't felt the urge in forever. I was willing to get the pickup and strings if it was worth investing in but I think I'll stick with the guitars I already have.
Sorry if I seemed dumb at all with my question o_O... like I said I don't have much experience with Gibsons. Thanks again for the help~
Wow, this thread got weird.

Anyway, mod it or don't mod it.
In the end, who really gives a **** either way?
You're going to die anyway, so why even argue about it?
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by xxchibibelxx
Thanks guys, I'm not interested in fixing any guitars up anytime soon, when I was a teenager I loved to mod guitars but I don't have the money to do so anymore, and I guess I also got lazy because I haven't felt the urge in forever. I was willing to get the pickup and strings if it was worth investing in but I think I'll stick with the guitars I already have.
Sorry if I seemed dumb at all with my question o_O... like I said I don't have much experience with Gibsons. Thanks again for the help~

General rule of thumb when seeing advertisements or offers for used Gibsons: If it seems cheap, it's not a real Gibson. Except in some cases when you have a seller who doesn't know what they have, or doesn't care. But don't count on that.