Would you say guitarist are at their peak in their 20's and 30's? Zakk wylde doesnt sound good as he did in the 90's, many of the guitarist had their best work in their 20's and 30's.

Van Halen, Slash, Zakk Wylde has their best work in that age range.

Maybe it's the declining levels of testosterone that kills the swagger and edge? ¯\_(ツ_/¯

not saying guitarists older than that can't make good music, as plenty do like clapton but even i'd say his cream, bluesbreaker and dominos stuff is better than the solo stuff.
Last edited by musicandthewave at Dec 5, 2014,
Guitar based bands often make their best albums in the early stages of their career before music seems to be a business decision and they can just be free without thinking of a fanbase.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Nah I think some just get old and lose focus. Of course there's a physical element to it, and if you have killer arthritis in both wrists you're going to suck at guitar. But look at Dave Gilmour, that guy still kills it.
I think they are just not as hungry as they once were, and are too comfortable now.
How do you make a signature? Is this a signature? Sig?.... Nature?..... Sigmund Freud?...... Nature Valley?.... Sigmund Fraud?..... Frankie Valli?.... ah, $!*@ it...
Nah guitarists just perpetually suck
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
There are loads of reasons to which you could attribute why a guitarist's work may be less impressive than previous work.
Free Ali
Free Lard
U2 sucked for a good ten years at least and then got half decent
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Quote by Thrashtastic15
yeah, guitar is well out of its prime. shit is more old school and outdated than the goddamn rover

Hello, will.

Seriously, quit being will.

OT:
No. It just happens for a myriad of reasons that some guitar players don't write/play as well as they used to.
xD

I'm going to get downvoted for saying this but usually when I see a really old guitarist play live I'm impressed at the progress they've made throughout the years. Like Slash for instance, I think his playing has improved quite a bit since his Gn'R days.

edit: Omg guys, I can't believe my highest rated comment is about Slash!!! xD xD xD
edit: WOW, UG GOLD ???????!!!!!! THANK YOU KIND STRANGER!!!!!! xD

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Hello, will.

Seriously, quit being will.

OT:
No. It just happens for a myriad of reasons that some guitar players don't write/play as well as they used to.

a) you dont understand the point i am making

b) id rather be will than crazysam23_atax
Quote by JamSessionFreak
xD

I'm going to get downvoted for saying this but usually when I see a really old guitarist play live I'm impressed at the progress they've made throughout the years. Like Slash for instance, I think his playing has improved quite a bit since his Gn'R days.

edit: Omg guys, I can't believe my highest rated comment is about Slash!!! xD xD xD

le upboats to you my gentlesir. you are a le gentleman and a le scholar. i tip my fedora to thee
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Quote by caeser1156
le upboats to you my gentlesir. you are a le gentleman and a le scholar. i tip my fedora to thee

uptoke for the sarcasm bro lol [6]
Quote by Thrashtastic15
uptoke for the sarcasm bro lol [6]

dae think that trees can cure le cancer? xD

also i just rescued a poor autistic trans gay kitten from starvation while at a [10] and my atheist dad who also smokes gave me some really dank buds as a reward just thought reddit would like to know xD

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by JamSessionFreak
xD

this isn't accurate because you can't edit your comments. For this to be realistic, you should technically be quoting this post each time.

lrn2comment
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Depends. I think Petrucci has become more advanced in certain skills, but his speed used to be faster. He now sometimes seems struggle in those old solos.

^Are you making a fingering the clitoris joke?
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by Neo Evil11 at Dec 5, 2014,
Inspiration is a fickle thing. It's not necessarily age related, but many people just start to rely on the same old tropes or formula.

Singers voices however physically go downhill pretty inevitably. Paul McCartney is probably the best example of that.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA