Hey

So i've been playing bass for 3 months and feel im fair on basic playing ability. But have little skill or rythm. All the songs i know are basic strumming songs where littlr effort is needed to play in a pattern. And when i try patterns or songs with a heavy amount of movement around the fret board i just get tangled and forget the pattern or notes... It just really sucks. Cause i want to play songs i like and enjoy a challange but most song i just really can't grasp.

Anyway i guess why im posting is cause i want to know if im alone in this. Or it's normal in a bassist's journey.

Thanks
I played guitar for 8 years before switching to bass to I had some technical proficiency from the get go, not to mention I was the de facto bassist for many bands before that.

When I started playing and I had 3 months under my belt I didnt know what a chord was, I didnt know what patterns were and I was absolutely tone deaf and rhythmless.

So dont beat yourself up, you are just a beginner.
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
just keep at it. you will get better. when i first started, i could barely play a blink-182 song.
Prack Tiss.

Think of yourself as a three-month along piano or oboe player. Still rank beginners.

Should have seen (and heard) me learning to play Sax. I could read music. Could play piano like the wind. Knew all about chords, transitions, transposition, all that. But making the sax sound like something other than a Goose Duck Call was just escaping me. It took time, patience and practiice; no fast way around that.
Hey thanks all this is actually really appreciated. I just felt like i was being slow. Its sorta arkward aswell since im in a band (picked up bass for it). So im sorta having to keep up with experienced guitarists and drummers.so i feel like im being slow.
You've been playing for 3 months. It took many years before I was comfortable with my playing ability. Just keep practicing. I had an old band director tell me, "practice doesn't make perfect, it makes permanent. If you practice it wrong, you'll play it wrong." So be very conscious of how you practice and how you play things. Don't cut corners or half ass things, because that will catch up to you eventually.
What do you expect? 3 months is next to nothing. You are still new to the bass. You won't become a master or even decent at bass in one year. It takes time.

You can't run before you learn to walk. You need to learn to play simple stuff before you can play complex stuff. Bass is a lot about timing. You want to be tight. If you are not accurate, it will make the song sound bad. A good bassline is not complex - it is played accurately. Even simple stuff can make the song sound good if you play it tight. Get a drum machine or metronome and play along with it.

Also, if you are having problems with a part, play it slower so that you can play every note when they are supposed to be played.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Slow down both your playing and expectations. No one came out of the womb playing like Jaco Pastorius..

Get a metronome or a drum machine and set to a bpm where you can play something accurately with good tone at least three or four times. then up the speed gradually, until you are where you need to be.

To be honest I've been playing for over 8 years and this is still how I approach learning more difficult material.
As other said, practice practice practice. I'm about 2 months in playing bass again after about 5 years of not playing and I still have quite a bit of work to get back to where I was then, and I wasn't a master by any means before.
dam this is some of the best advice I have ever seen. no one disrespected the questions and all answers were spot on..very nice..
I've only been playing playing for a month or so, but I played guitar for a few years before switching to bass, I'm struggling with fingerpicking speed and slapping. Any tips?
Quote by RHCPrimuSRV
I've only been playing playing for a month or so, but I played guitar for a few years before switching to bass, I'm struggling with fingerpicking speed and slapping. Any tips?

Moar practice. Approach bass as a totally new instrument. It's going to take some time to get to the same level as another instrument.
Quote by Neopowell the PUSO
Girls, stuck for a present? Get your man a remote control helicopter. Guys fucking love remote control helicopters.

Mah gear

Ibanez RG350mdx w/ SD TB-6
Ibanez RG7321 <3
Vyper 15
Ashdown EB 12-180 EVO II Combo

7>6!
Leave slapping alone for the time being. It's an embellishment technique, alongside tapping. They're both great to incorporate into your own style - when you've got the basics down. A lot of people try to run before they can walk with bass. It's understandable, and every single one of us is guilty of it, I guarantee.

Anyhoos, the number one issue with plateauing is that people mistake amount of practice with quality of practice. 30 minutes of quality, structured, distraction-free practice will do you more good than 3 hours of idling away whilst watching the telly. Set a goal, determine how you will reach that goal. Document, and record yourself. Analyse and scrutinise. Invest in a metronome. Swear by it. Don't fall into the trap of 'that'll do.' Slow down- speed is a byproduct of accuracy. Always practice wih both hands- the accuracy between the two is key. You play songs wth both hands, why should you not practice the same?
If you're not already doing so, learn your scales. Practice them every day until you can do them in your sleep.

I found that the best/easiest way to learn the fretboard was to do scales, because since patterns are all based within those scales, it got easier to finger the patterns and know where to move my hand. At that point you're not even really thinking about how to form the shapes you're playing, you're just making use of what you already know from a common base.

Also, learn the basic relationships between a position on the fretboard and what's around it. Like, if I told you that the note one string above the note you were playing was a fourth, would you know what that meant? If you did, and also knew that two frets over was a fifth, congratulations; you can now play almost every 12-bar blues/old-school rock song ever written. These kinds of insights will do a lot to accelerate your playing in the long run.
It's true what they say, practice makes perfect! Keep at it, the world needs more bass players!
I want '61 Jazz Bass!
Being content with your playing leads to complacency. Don't beat yourself up over it, but as long as you're able to identify areas where you need to improve, you will keep growing as a player. It's usually not too difficult to spot the musicians who learned how to play a few bits to impress their friends and decided to call it a day.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan