See title.

Last rehearsal we played Sweet Child O' Mine half a step higher than the original, and - besides my inability to play - the guitar riff just sounded awful for some reason. Is there some (music) theoretical reason behind this, or is it just that your ears are so used to the original that anything other than it just sounds weird?

I'm genuinely curious..
Quote by GetMad
my inability to play

This should pretty much say it lol.

It doesn't matter what the tuning is. It'll almost always be theoretical correct and sound like music, albeit in a different key, if you're still playing the same position/sequence/scale.

There's a few exceptions but there's no point in going into them
ayy lmao
It's because you ain't Slash, bruh.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
prolly cos u suk
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by GetMad
or is it just that your ears are so used to the original that anything other than it just sounds weird?

When you play it (crappily) in the original key, you can kinda fill the spaces with the original tune in your head. Playing in a new key breaks that.
Quote by chookiecookie
It doesn't matter what the tuning is. It'll almost always be theoretical correct and sound like music, albeit in a different key, if you're still playing the same position/sequence/scale.

There's a few exceptions but there's no point in going into them

That's what I thought as well: when you play the same position/sequence/scale then it should basically sound the same. But it just felt really strange, not only to myself, but also to two other members.

I guess it's just expecting it to be in a certain scale and playing it in a slightly different one then. You remember how it should be from listening to it a thousand times, and now it isn't.. Guess that ****s with the brain.

EDIT: PS. You guys are truly breaking my heart
Last edited by GetMad at Dec 5, 2014,
Quote by GetMad
That's what I thought as well: when you play the same position/sequence/scale then it should basically sound the same. But it just felt really strange, not only to myself, but also to two other members.

I guess it's just expecting it to be in a certain scale and playing it in a slightly different one then. You remember how it should be from listening to it a thousand times, and now it isn't.. Guess that ****s with the brain.

EDIT: PS. You guys are truly breaking my heart

It doesn't basically sound the same. Moving it up or down changes the entire sound of it. It's entirely different notes

Idk why you thought it Wouldn't sound off from the original moving it a half step up lol
ayy lmao
D is half a step down from Eb, original key, not half a step up. OP, maybe it's the fact that you clearly don't even music that makes it sound so bad?
Also chookiecookie, if every part of the song is changed down (or up, or whatever) into the same, albeit changed from original, key, of course it will sound the same. Case in point, Metallica's older studio stuff is played in E standard tuning, but played nowadays in Eb standard tuning live. The songs sound the same (well they don't necessarily, but for entirely different reasons).
u need a new amp
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Quote by Nickpocalypse
D is half a step down from Eb, original key, not half a step up. OP, maybe it's the fact that you clearly don't even music that makes it sound so bad?

The song isn't in Eb (major), it's in Db originally isn't it?. Just because the guitar is tuned down half a step to Eb Standard doesn't mean that is the key.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure we all know he means playing it in standard tuning as opposed to in Eb tuning, with the main riff starting with an open D major shape.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
If you play it correctly, it should still sound good even in a different key.

Yeah, so....play better.
Quote by Nickpocalypse

He didn't say it was in D, just that they played it a half step up. Stop being a dick just to be a dick.
Quote by Nickpocalypse

Also chookiecookie, if every part of the song is changed down (or up, or whatever) into the same, albeit changed from original, key, of course it will sound the same. Case in point, Metallica's older studio stuff is played in E standard tuning, but played nowadays in Eb standard tuning live. The songs sound the same (well they don't necessarily, but for entirely different reasons).

Lol

It'll still have the same flow and rhythm.

Changing the notes changes the entire sound. Even if it's a semitone difference, it's still different.

R u stupid
ayy lmao
Last edited by chookiecookie at Dec 5, 2014,
Quote by chookiecookie
Lol

It'll still have the same flow and rhythm.

Changing the notes changes the entire sound. Even if it's a semitone difference, it's still different.

R u stupid

Yeah but it doesn't necessarily sound that different to the human ear without playing them back to back, unless people have perfect pitch.
you're using the wrong guitar. buy an acoustic and fill it with sand

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by JamSessionFreak
you're using the wrong guitar. buy an acoustic and fill it with sand

And put stickers of bears on it.

agre

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by whoomit
Yeah but it doesn't necessarily sound that different to the human ear without playing them back to back, unless people have perfect pitch.

And yet it does not change the fact it's still different.
ayy lmao
I've noticed that too. Playing Enter Sandman half a step down isn't so bad. Playing Smells Like Teen Spirit half a step down sounds like shit to me.

It changes from song to song.
Main setup:

ESP Eclipse
PRS Torero SE
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster head, 2x12 cab
FX: Crybaby Slash Wah, Ibanez TS9x, Mesa Boogie Throttle Box, Boss TU-2, BF-3, DD-3, PS-6, RC-3, etc.
Quote by chookiecookie
And yet it does not change the fact it's still different.

Right..

So what's your point?
Quote by whoomit

"DID SOMEONE SAY THEY NEEDED PERFECT PITCH? LOL"
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
Intonation, fools
“If it seems like you are playing around and not practicing, that's when you know you really love it.”
-Jack Johnson

Quote by lattea
i'm kinda gay

Quote by angusfan16
Well damn. You caught me. I'm horribly gay.

RIP Rev
Quote by deadsmileyface
I like a do the cha cha, like a sissy girl

weirdo
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by deadsmileyface
I like a do the cha cha, like a sissy girl

You need some more pussy in your life.
Why don't you show us how it sounds like? Record it and post it here so we can listen to it and know what's the problem.

It shouldn't sound off, you actually shouldn't even notice the difference unless you keep playing in one key and then in the other.
Quote by Will Lane
When you play it (crappily) in the original key, you can kinda fill the spaces with the original tune in your head. Playing in a new key breaks that.

Quote by Kynyster_K
Intonation, fools

I was gonna say these, but these two have got that down for me.

I have other guesses, but they're the ones that are glaringly obvious (e.g. Are you sure every instrumentalist modulated correctly? Did you check intonation? Did you make sure that the guitar didn't adjust and detune shortly after tuning?) because I've never had this problem, I actually prefer the sound of a semitone/tone lower than the original key/tuning.
Free Ali
Technically changing the key shouldn't change anything too much but it'll definitely have a different feel. I pitch shifted 'she came in through the bathroom window' a full step down to see what it would sound like so maybe I could cover it and it sounds like the worst thing ever. The key change going into the chorus sounded bad
Quote by whoomit

Except it does, even to the untrained ear. Songs like "Sweet Child of Mine" are classic rock songs. Everyone is already used to them in a certain key.
Dude I know what you mean. It's like playing Stevie Ray Vaughn or even Welcome to the Jungle in standard tuning. It just sounds off.

It's probably cause of the higher key, but I think in general we as musicians notice this more than those who don't play cause we're more aware of pitch/the sound of key changes etc