Ok so here goes:

I am playing in a hard rock progressive metal band. We have a few covers such as Purple Haze by Hendrix, The Motherload by Mastodon, and Welcome Home by Coheed as well as a few originals. I play lead, rhythm, and sing.

I play with two custom Gibson Les Paul Studios with Coil Tapped 490R/ 498T Neck and Bridge Pickups, and I play some of the lighter stuff with an American Select Strat SSS.

my pedal board goes:
Guitar-->Korg Tuner --> Cantrell Cry Baby Wah --> MXR - B.A. Overdrive --> Digitech TL-2 Metal Pedal --> Slash MXR Octave Fuzz --> MXR 108 Fuzz --> Boss BD-2 --> PH7 Phaser --> CF7 Chorus --> Boss DD-7 --> Boss LS2 -->Amps

I use two amps:
My Strat is played through a Vox AC30C2 and my Les Pauls are played through a solid state Hartke GT100 head with a hartke 4x12 cab. The only effect on my amps I use is reverb and its barely on.

I love the Vox with the Strat, but the Les Pauls Sound Horrible through it. So I am looking between buying a Marshall JCM800 2203 or a Marshall JCM900 2203 and I am looking to run it through a Marshall 1960A cab. Some of my Favorite Guitarists play JCM800 2203 or modded JCM800 like Brent Hinds and Bill Kelliher from Mastodon.

I have played both, but through my pedal board. The JCM900 appears to have a dirtier sound, but the JCM800 sound is better soloing or playing lead. I was told the JCM900 has clip diodes and I have no idea what that means. I think it means a chip pushes the sound rather than a tube. Regardless of which Marshall I go with, should I back the pedals off and use the gain for my overdrive sound? On my heavier stuff, I like a lot of sustain, but a midrange of crunch. My TL-2 Metal pedal is set with everything at 12 o'clock. Looking for a slightly stronger metal sound than Slash or Adam Jones, but not as strong as Dimbag or Kerry King

SO AFTER ALL THAT I NEED ADVICE! Do I?

A) Get the JCM800 2203 rely on the gain from the amp.
B) Get the JCM800 2203 rely on the the pedals.
C) Get the JCM900 2203 rely on the gain from the amp.
D) Get the JCM900 2203 rely on the the pedals.

Sorry I know its long, but I would appreciate some opinions. Thank You!
If I was in the situation I would go for an A and B combo. Use your pedals to enhance the 800's sound. The TL2 probably wont be needed but you have a solid board that would enhance really either amp great.
I agree with JBailey. If I were you, I would get the JCM800, and ditch the TL-2. You may end up wanting to try different pedals after getting either amp though. I would suggest looking into a more classic voiced Tubescreamer, unless you MXR OD works for you.

Again though, if you get either amp, you may want to revamp your pedalboard.

Good luck!
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
There's no such thing as a JCM 900 "2203" That's an important piece of info because there are several different models of JCM 900. The "Dual Reverb" and "MkIII" have clipping diodes, while the SL-X doesn't and is generally considered to be the best and a great metal amp. I think you may be talking about this model in particular because it's a single channel JCM and it has a similar format to the old 800s.

SL-X > MK3 > > Dual Reverb. The MK3 has a boost function which ads a Tubescreamer like boost (with clipping diodes) to the gain channel of the MK3. Apparently this is a an easy mod where you just need some pliers to clip out the diode from the circuit. IIRC this is the only clipping diode used on the MK3. The Dual Reverb however gets a lot of it's distortion from clipping diodes and requires a little more modification to fix.

The DR is the easiest and cheapest JCM 900 to come by, while the SL-X is usually more expensive and more rare.

For what you play, I would say a SL-X or JCM 800 2203 (with a boost) would be fine.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
For what you want I'd skip all of those and go with a JCM2000 DSL100 or 50 a much more versatile Marshall than any 800 or 900 would be

I'm not a big fan of any JCM800 they are just an in between amp for sounds, not as raw as a plexi and not enough on tap for modern tones either. The DSL does both and more very well.

The 900 SL-X is awesome if you can deal with a 1 ch amp, but many can not.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The SL-X is one of the finest metal amp their is, monstrous sound. If you don't need a clean channel, get that and maybe a Tubescreamer to tighten up the leads.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by Robbgnarly
For what you want I'd skip all of those and go with a JCM2000 DSL100 or 50 a much more versatile Marshall than any 800 or 900 would be

I'm not a big fan of any JCM800 they are just an in between amp for sounds, not as raw as a plexi and not enough on tap for modern tones either. The DSL does both and more very well.

This. Just make sure it's made after 2003.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Robbgnarly

+1

I agree the SL-X is a complete monster, one of my favorite high gain amps, but I don't think you need it. The JCM2000 DSL is one of the best amps you can get for all around general versatility. It has a great Marshall crunch as well as a good clean. IMO it is completely superior to the JCM800 in pretty much every aspect except just vintage coolness/simplicity. You can dial in a DSL to sound almost identical to a JCM800, but a JCM800 can't do even a 1/3 of what the DSL can do. And DSLs are cheaper. It's a no brainer.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Dec 6, 2014,
I feel my DSL100 is too buzzy and I personally have a hard time dialling it in. I much prefer my 2204 to my DSL100(Might be due to tubes and/or speakers) Others seem to like, so try it out. You could also take a look at the two-channel JCM800 (2210 or 2205, I think) my bandmate uses the combo version and it sounds surprisingly good. IIRC Bill Keliher have used them on both albums and tours, now he has Friedman amps, which I would recommend, but is possibly out of budget.

Brent from Mastodon uses JMPs (Same as the early JCM800s) and he awesome sound last I saw them live. A good OD pedal and usage of your volume knobs will get you a long with a JCM800 or JMP.
Gibson Explorer "Golden Axe"
Gibson Explorer
Greco Les Paul Custom.

Pedals.

Tommy Folkesson MK VI modded Marshall 1959 '80
Marshall JMP 2204 '79
Marshal JCM 2000 DSL100 white

Cabs.
Is that a new DSL100 or an old JCM2000 DSL100? If the latter then you need better tubes. No way does a JCM2000 DSL100 sound fizzier than a 2210/2205. The 2210 is crap.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
It's been my experiences that Marshalls are very picky to tubes and speakers.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.