I am trying to move from my fender amp with preprogrammed channels to my very first half stack for Christmas; I'm asking about recommended head's and nice cabinets like is my set-up going to malfunction or become damaged beyond accessible repairs just by sweeping or playing some odd rifts.

I am just eyeing Marshall brand equipment and also taking the appeal of Amps that are on sale. How do the build your own amps work? I liked on priced well that was orange in color at guitar center.

I want the sound and music audible from an acre away, what can handle that?
How to ask for advice -

(what you should include to get good advice)

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.

Paragraphs of information about yourself are nice but we really just need the answers to these 6 things.

(Contributed by 311ZOSOVHJH)

Quote by Evecin
is my set-up going to malfunction or become damaged beyond accessible repairs just by sweeping or playing some odd rifts.

I have no idea what put this idea in your head, but the answer is NO.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pearl & Ebony • Les Paul PlusTop Pro Honeyburst • AJ220VS • Squier Standard Stratocaster CAR
Marshall Class 5 Combo • Digitech HT-2 • Vox V847 • MXR M68 Uni-Vibe • Soul Food • BOSS SD-1 • Digitech RV-7
Quote by Evecin

A nice PA system
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by Evecin
I am trying to move from my fender amp with preprogrammed channels to my very first half stack for Christmas; I'm asking about recommended head's and nice cabinets like is my set-up going to malfunction or become damaged beyond accessible repairs just by sweeping or playing some odd rifts.

I am just eyeing Marshall brand equipment and also taking the appeal of Amps that are on sale. How do the build your own amps work? I liked on priced well that was orange in color at guitar center.

aside from lacking all the info we need this post is a jumbled mess. aside from your budget etc , the next ? is why do you feel you need a half stack? your post suggests total n00b to me (and others). answer the needed ?s and perhaps we can steer you down the right path. by the way do you know what an acre is measurement wise?
You can record and tour with a national act and never need a half stack. A 50 watt combo is fine. A good quality one gets super loud for gigs. And if you're playing to hundreds of people, you're going to mike it anyway so everything is mixed better, so getting a half stack is just an ego thing. For any style.
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
Quote by Evecin

Yes. Repeated playing of Nickleback or Green Day will damage your amp with embarrassment. Same deal if you have it pointed at a garish bedspread.

Quote by Evecin

You should always buy your amps by the tolex color; it's something like the emergency readiness system, but for amps. You've obviously been around some Condition Orange amps...

Quote by Evecin

Almost anything on a quiet day in the pasture. But an audience can suck up most of your amp's treble within the first 10 rows of bodies if you have a half-stack sitting on the floor, leaving the back of the room with mushy rumbleage.
Last edited by dspellman at Dec 5, 2014,
Quote by Evecin

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here TS.

Also, no. Why would your gear be damaged by sweeping and playing riffs? Isn't that what amps are designed for?

We need to know, budget and things you like the sound of until we can help you further!
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Evecin

TS your threads suck. buy what you want because we have all given you good amps to look at in every thread and you come back with this POS thread..........for real?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Have you tried a line six spider?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Look in to a Marshall MG100fx head and a 8x12 cab, make sure to put some Celestion 70/80's in there.

a reall AAA pro rig.
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???

If this goes to a second page the cats WILL be deployed.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I think you need some true 3" Blackstar tone.

kawaii~
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by lemurflames
I think you need some true 3" Blackstar tone.

kawaii~

Be serious... he needs at least 2. He wants a "stack" doesn't he? Although, if you stack 2... then I guess 1 would technically be half of a stack, hence halfstack. But, if he was thinking of getting 4!... then 2 would be a so-called "halfstack". Math...