Page 1 of 2
Lately i have gotten tired of the sound of the guitar.
Seriously, i have been playing guitar for almost 4 years now and i'm now turning
over to electronic music because guitar sounds so god damn boring. May it be the
typical rock sound (most boring), metal sound, clean sound, everything has been done.

I'm slowly going over to the electronic land because there are new exciting sounds that cannot be created on guitar or other instruments.

What's your view?
it's your instrument do what you want to do

it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
all sounds are welcome in my casa
bawitaba a bang a bang diggy diggy diggy sed the boogie sed up jump the boogie
No one says you must only play one instrument and that's that.

If anything you might just be burned out. I would recommend taking a break from guitar, taking up a new instrument, or another artistic output like painting, and expanding your musical tastes.

After awhile you might realize you wanna go back and love it again.
Your guitar says the same thing about you, always talking about electronic music and computers.

That pedal board, god damn...
I'll be honest, I was actually going to make a joke and be like "haha you should look at Kevin Shields' pedalboard haha"

it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Rensa
Lately i have gotten tired of the sound of the guitar.
Seriously, i have been playing guitar for almost 4 years now and i'm now turning
over to electronic music because guitar sounds so god damn boring. May it be the
typical rock sound (most boring), metal sound, clean sound, everything has been done.

I'm slowly going over to the electronic land because there are new exciting sounds that cannot be created on guitar or other instruments.

What's your view?

You're not trying hard enough to come up with new sounds. You've probably taken a liking to synthesizers/resampling because it's drastically different and you have lot more options immediately available. Let me put it to you this way, it would be like an IDM/EDM producer saying something a long the lines of "I've gotten tired of synth sounds. May it be the super saw lead, Moog reso basses, hoovers, everything has been done." Just because those kind of sounds are popular doesn't mean they're the end all be all and the extent of the instrument's tonal possibilities.

For example, this song has a pretty unique lead guitar tone.
that's because guitar is an outdated way to make music glad you are starting to put it together kid keep it up :'-)
Timber in electronic music is more flexible than guitar for sure. But there are lots of possibilities you can get from timbre on guitar also. And really, timbre is only timbre. It can be really cool for sure, but it's not the be all end all. We all speak english and english has been around for a while, but that doesn't mean everything has been said.

Electronic music is cool, all digital production is. But it is very different from an instrument. I don't consider it an instrument actually, and I'll tell you why.

It's a music production tool. It is slow and meticulous. Sure, you can plug instruments in, and record those, and I think everyone does, but it is still slow. Especially if you want to get into making your own synths. Even if you don't. Either you have to scroll through a shitload of presets, or take the time to learn synths and how they work, and take the time to program them. Synths can be quite different as well. a wavetable isn't quite like FM. You have to learn a lot about gear. How a number of compressors sound, with all their subtle differences, and how some of them work. The fabfilter delay is actually reasonably complicated, and it's just a delay. Then there is just all about general production, and recording.

But it's cool. The thing is, it is the slow build of "the perfect take" sort of thing. Freezing the perfect notes in time, and capturing the perfect timbre. And that's cool. You are building like a painting or sculpture. You finish with a final product. And that is music, but it is still not an instrument, to me.

To me, an instrument is controlling sound in the moment. If I wanna freestyle, I will. If I am think do this or do that, I can do it, and I can do it right now. Playing an instrument, to me is like a dance. I feel the music, and I play it. Instant action reaction. A DAW is not that way. If I think I want something, it might be a while before I get that sound, and then even longer if it is specifically dynamic requiring envelopes and whatnot, like bends or filter sweeps, or something like that.

So, they are very different art forms. I like production and I've been into as long as I've been into music point blank, but I love playing an instrument even more. I'll gladly take a limitation of timbre. I play acoustic guitar. I love that. It's so simple. Just a wooden box with strings slapped on it, and all the music comes directly from me, and how I move my body. No quantizing, no aids, no autotune, no happy accident generators, no loops, no multiple steps. I just dance, and music comes out. It's awesome.

You do what you enjoy to do, but a DAW is not really an alternative to guitar. It's a whole different thing, it's not another instrument. It's a tool for shaping productions. A midi controller is an instrument though. Whether it's a pad or a keyboard, or whatever.
Last edited by fingrpikingood at Dec 6, 2014,
Your guitar is boring because you haven't plugged it in the Adrenalinn III box.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Get into nice but challenging acoustic stuff cos e-guitars are boring yes

Also will would be proud :')
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
guitar does tend to sound boring when it isn't accompanied with other instruments, yes (and your boring looping MIDI backing tracks with 5 minutes of you doing a guitar solo over them don't count)

it's the full package, yo
go acoustic, learn piano, go on guitar hiatus

they're all good
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Noone knows the answer for sure. In your case that is.

The human mind is fairly simple with how feeling of accomplishment, joy and excitement are distributed.

You might have picked up the guitar, because you expected in a few years to get acclaim for it, whether it be compliments on your work by peers or critics, or the simple things like the audience clapping for you. Fail to get these satisfactions, your mind will automatically drop motivation for learning the instrument.

These are motivators to continue, cause in the end it's almost always about being noticed by the world, irregardless if it's music, getting a a girl that's considered "high league', invent something that people look up to or getting a degree in the hope to be the boss of a company, and get respect by your workers.

The other aspect is the direct motivation, in that new things come with a characteristic and typical buzz of excitement.

It's also the reason why it for many people seems fairly easy to write a riff or start a song, only to end in "not knowing" where to go with it, most likely because you only liked this riff because it's new.

Not to say the riffs are wrong, most likely they are indeed quite good and/or workable, but only writing music out of that particular excitement, will off course end when the initial buzz wears off, and you start yet another song in your catalog of 300+ saved audio project with 0 finished.

How this will help you, I have no frigging clue, but that's my observation of it all.

You can start making electronic music, but if it's indeed for the "new buzz", then you will find yourself at the same point within time. might be a month, maybe a year, but it will most likely come.

The other reason for being interested is offcourse the most obvious one, of it being the most popular thing to do/be at the moment, falling back in the category of getting acclaim (easier) at least at face value that is.

You need to find appreciation in the music itself, or go performing. Performance is always different (thus new and exciting), and the bonus is you got a sublime motivator to keep with learning new things and possibly trying to raise the bar for yourself.

TLDR;

Smoke marihuana. What this does is block communication from your frontal brain to the rest at the axon, keeping things you see, hear, smell etc in the front loop. Not being able to give a "definite" value in the end part of the brain, gives the feeling that it's new and exciting. Which is why people think music sounds better when stoned, when it really is not.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Dec 6, 2014,
it's definitely easier to create more unique and original sounds in electronic music. just because you can't create something new on guitar doesn't mean everything has been done though.
The new ibanez with a kaoss built into it... boom problem solved
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Also give an example of what you find fresh.

I agree it has a bigger potential for new sounds, but most stuff that is by 'new producers', can often be heard on older records.

While I do stumble upon new things, 90% of what is popular and known is also rehashed.

If your new to electronic music it might seem fresh, but trust me, what is popular and upcoming is not that new.

Actually the Skrillex sound is the only somewhat new thing I heard. A lot of people hate the sound, but speaking objectively of new trends, that is one of the only ones really.

Most other stuff has been done for decades as well though, but America found out about techno, dnb, electro house etc. give it the name EDM and treat like it's a new thing..yes meanwhile in reality..

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Dec 6, 2014,
The guitar isn't boring, you are.
If you think there are sounds you can't create on a guitar, then your imagination is lacking - not the instrument. And if your imagination is lacking to that extent, you aren't going to be able to create anything "new" or "interesting" with additive/subtractive synthesis either. You'll sit and play with buttons on stock patches of your new vst and not understand how they work and eventually get bored of that too.
Quote by WantsLesPaul
get jacked punk bitch

**** yes
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
based on the three "types" of guitar sound listed, you are probably into very boring guitar music anyway & playing with electronic stuff will not suddenly make you an interesting artist
Quote by snipelfritz
**** yes

uggggh that super sonic fuzz gun is doing things to my pants
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by MinterMan22
theres like 12 people left who still play guitar and one of them is crazy sam

You're being a dope. 'Cause you're acting like will. And acting like will is dopey.

OT:
Maybe you need to try different genres. Learn songs you wouldn't normally play or songs that seem challenging. Maybe even take songs written for other instruments and transpose them to guitar.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Dec 6, 2014,
get a Mac, ******.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

If you're bored before you're even 4 years in, you're seriously lacking in imagination or just looking for an easy road to being a great musician. I've been playing most every day for the last 10+ years in and I feel like I'm only getting started. Take some lessons, learn some music theory (the CAGED system is a good place to start), jam with musicians more experienced than you, try new effects pedals/guitars/amps, etc. Everything has definitely not been done before just because you can't program effects int
I've been transitioning more to electronic composition/production myself (always dabbled in a mix of hip-hop and ambient influenced stuff) but I still make interesting guitar music with a pretty bare sound (I don't have any effects pedals or any of that). You just need to find your niche with it. If guitar isn't fitting with your musical vision at all, maybe "give up" (or just make guitar secondary), but otherwise you just aren't making it interesting enough.
Quote by Rensa
May it be the
typical rock sound (most boring), metal sound, clean sound, everything has been done.?

Fuzz m8
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
You're being a dope. 'Cause you're acting like will. And acting like will is dopey.

OT:
Maybe you need to try different genres. Learn songs you wouldn't normally play or songs that seem challenging. Maybe even take songs written for other instruments and transpose them to guitar.

he should play non-boring music with m13#11b9 chords
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I used to play metal and I'm bored as hell with that sound. I play blues and R&B stuff now and like that sound a lot. Neck pickup on the Strat with a bit of overdrive for blues, whole huge variety of sounds for the R&B stuff.
You sound boring.

Someone misspelled timbre on one of the long posts....

And it seems like that massive pedal board would need multiple signal boosts to be functional unless there's a bypass splitter somewhere.
I eat bananas vigorously

BUTTS.

To the pit because i don't feel like doing real life.
Quote by snappedstrings6
unless there's a bypass splitter somewhere.

most do.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

is it possible that maybe we agreed with will
i don't know why i feel so dry
Page 1 of 2