whats up guys hope you have been having a beautiful day cus i sure did, alright so ive been sitting for hours and i discovered the technique for fast soloing (sure, they are not fast, but i know get all the scales and everything) i also discovered that for me floating hand position makes me noticeably faster at picking scales and what not, yeah sure its not accurate because after 6 years of playing with my pinky anchored and or my palm resting on the bridge i got used, but now im forcing myself to play floating hand so i can get used to it, alright so when im practicing some licks my picking hand starts getting tense is it because of the sudden change of position? any tips, it doesnt hurt but i just feel it get stiff then i try to relax it then after 15 seconds it gets stiff again, any tips? thanks guys!
I wouldn't recommend playing with a floating hand all the time, because it means that you can't mute the strings at all with your picking hand. It also means that your elbow needs to support your hand when it's making fast movements, and even if you wouldn't move your elbow that much it would still be somewhat stressful for it. Anchoring you pinky could be a habit that you'd want to get rid of, but resting your hand on the strings or the bridge is pretty much a necessary part of a good technique at least in my opinion. It's pretty much elementary physics, as long as your wrist is resting at a fixed point you can use all the energy in moving the wrist. If it's hanging by the elbow, you're also using energy to keep the elbow still. I'm not sure if I'm making any sense, but I hope that you'll get the point.
Quote by guitar/bass95
I wouldn't recommend playing with a floating hand all the time, because it means that you can't mute the strings at all with your picking hand. It also means that your elbow needs to support your hand when it's making fast movements, and even if you wouldn't move your elbow that much it would still be somewhat stressful for it. Anchoring you pinky could be a habit that you'd want to get rid of, but resting your hand on the strings or the bridge is pretty much a necessary part of a good technique at least in my opinion. It's pretty much elementary physics, as long as your wrist is resting at a fixed point you can use all the energy in moving the wrist. If it's hanging by the elbow, you're also using energy to keep the elbow still. I'm not sure if I'm making any sense, but I hope that you'll get the point.

yeah i get what you're trying to say
Are you taking time to "warm up" by running thru some scales/ excersises at a slow tempo before you attempt to execute anything you are working on at full speed ? Every time I've had "cramp hand" it's been due to not warming up properly. A good example is when you show up for a gig last minute and you haven't played or had a chance to warm up beforehand and the singer calls out a fast paced tune to open the set, about 15 minutes into the set is when it starts, and it doesn't go away until I've had at least 10 minutes of rest (break between sets). Also, I wouldn't worry too much whether you float your pick hand or anchor it with your pinky. Jimmy Herring plays with his pick hand "floating" and I don't think anyone could say it "held him back" as a player.
looks like you're playing with a lot of tension, read what i suggested to you in a pinky tension thread and apply the same speed limitation for your right hand.
also floating hand is not the best option for all situations. you have to find what's best for you. Go to youtube and check 'Cracking the Code' videos. it's crazy what those guys did and how they've analyzed the playing of different guitarists.