so i've looked around and can't find simple answers. How do i use Pro Tools Express to control my Digitech Whammy V pedal? i've connected my whammy to the computer through the midi in jack with a midi interface and in pro tools i have a track with expression commands (CC11) but how do i actually make that track control my whammy? I'm wanting to control the whammy's expression pedal automatically btw.

thanks in advance.
Last edited by GuitarHawk99 at Dec 6, 2014,
You simply set up midi automation.
You create a midi region in that track and you write/program midi data to be sent out from that.

Don't ask me how to do that in pro tools though.
Also unless you're using it with a big integrated system or you can't live with a different workflow, you may wanna switch to something different - software wise, it sucks.

And don't bump threads after a day only, some of us have stuff to do and can't get here every day, but this place isn't THAT crowded and your post won't go unnoticed for more than a couple days.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Ok... What I have done is connected up all cables and stuff to my whammy and interfaces, and in pro tools I have a midi track with automation data ready, but what do I do now? I play my guitar through the whammy into my amp while the track is playing and nothing happens.. Am I supposed to record it back or something? Is there more set up like maybe the data isn't being sent to the whammy?
If the whammy doesn't change its settings you either:
-haven't connected everything the right way
-aren't sending the right midi data (or any data) to the whammy

Now...
How exactly have you set up everything?
What gear where, where do the cables come from and go to?
Do you have any way to verify you're outputting midi info?
Are you sending midi data on the same channel the whammy is set up to receive data on?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Gear setup:
-avid fast track solo > computer
-whammy connected by a usb to midi interface > computer
-guitar > whammy > amp (I've also tried plugging into the interface instead of amp)
-Pro tools is open with a midi track that has expression data in place

I can't tell if midi data is being outputed, there may be something I haven't done in the pro tools midi options but I'm not sure

I am not sure about the channels, I think i've set the whammy to receive on ch1 and in pro tools it looks like the output of the midi track is ch1 also but like I said there may be additional setup I haven't done in the options.

So is all I need to do to make it work is play the track in pro tools while I play guitar and the whammy should automate?
I'd be interested to hear if you get it working and what sort of results you're getting from it, my Whammy has MIDI too but I've never bothered to use it in all the years Ive had it

Also just for the record there's nothing wrong with pro tools
Quote by GuitarHawk99
I am not sure about the channels, I think i've set the whammy to receive on ch1 and in pro tools it looks like the output of the midi track is ch1 also but like I said there may be additional setup I haven't done in the options.
Follow the midi channel setup in the whammy's instructions.
What interface are you using?
Also follow the setup in this guide to make sure you're routing the midi info tho the right place.
Quote by EatShreddies
Also just for the record there's nothing wrong with pro tools
Apart from the fact that it's resources hungry like a bitch and it's plain outdated now.
It has the offline bounce thing with version 11, and most of the other DAW's had that since almost 10 years ago.
It's compatible with non avid hardware since only very recently.
It uses a proprietary plugin format which was replaced going from the last 32bit to the first 64bit version, and the 32bit plugins weren't compatible anymore from a day to another if you wanted the latest version of pro tools.

People who use it use it because:
1. they started working with it 20 years ago when it was the top down best alternative as a daw, or 10 years ago when it was the only daw which had an integration with big and high quality hardware, and now they're used to it
2. they like the workflow better than the other daw's, usually because it has much stuff in common with how common hardware (SSL desks for example) work
3. they read somewhere "it's the industry standard"

And I really wouldn't wanna offend anybody, but this seems to me like the third case.
Mostly because noone in the right mind would knowingly choose pro tools to work with midi.

Yeah, I missed that before, it also has a hell of a shitty midi integration.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2

Apart from the fact that it's resources hungry like a bitch and it's plain outdated now.
It has the offline bounce thing with version 11, and most of the other DAW's had that since almost 10 years ago.
It's compatible with non avid hardware since only very recently.
It uses a proprietary plugin format which was replaced going from the last 32bit to the first 64bit version, and the 32bit plugins weren't compatible anymore from a day to another if you wanted the latest version of pro tools.

People who use it use it because:
1. they started working with it 20 years ago when it was the top down best alternative as a daw, or 10 years ago when it was the only daw which had an integration with big and high quality hardware, and now they're used to it
2. they like the workflow better than the other daw's, usually because it has much stuff in common with how common hardware (SSL desks for example) work
3. they read somewhere "it's the industry standard"

And I really wouldn't wanna offend anybody, but this seems to me like the third case.
Mostly because noone in the right mind would knowingly choose pro tools to work with midi.

Yeah, I missed that before, it also has a hell of a shitty midi integration.

Half of the reasons you listed aren't even valid.

"This was a problem, but they fixed it, so it's not a problem anymore. But I'm still going to hate it."

PT 11 isn't resource hungry at all. And PT 11 comes with a coinstall of PT 10, so you can still use any plugins that might not work in PT 11 because of the new system.

Now, that being said, PT isn't necessarily the best. It's expensive, and, like you mentioned, not always the most up-to-date compared to other DAWs. Your reason #2 is why I use it. I learned on desks and it just makes more sense to me. If I started on Logic or anything else, I probably wouldn't use PT.

OP probably uses PT Express because it came with the Fast Track that he bought.
PLEASE guys no arguing about which daw is better

Yes I use pro tools because I bought the fast track, and I am very new to daws and recording itself, however I do seem to think that pro tools isn't as user friendly as it could be for me anyway.

Well from following the whammy instructions it seems that I am on channel one, and in pro tools when I go to output there are three options one being my interface (which is a cakewalk UM-1G) one being the windows midi and the other is something else I'm not sure, for some reason each has [emulated] written next to it?

Anyway when I click on any of them they have several channels and I click one because my whammy is set to channel one.

What I am asking is what is the exact procedure I take to make midi track to control my whammy? Do I need to play the track while I play my guitar or not?
Quote by GuitarHawk99

Yes I use pro tools because I bought the fast track, and I am very new to daws and recording itself, however I do seem to think that pro tools isn't as user friendly as it could be for me anyway.

Well from following the whammy instructions it seems that I am on channel one, and in pro tools when I go to output there are three options one being my interface (which is a cakewalk UM-1G) one being the windows midi and the other is something else I'm not sure, for some reason each has [emulated] written next to it?

Anyway when I click on any of them they have several channels and I click one because my whammy is set to channel one.

What I am asking is what is the exact procedure I take to make midi track to control my whammy? Do I need to play the track while I play my guitar or not?

If your pedal is on channel one, then yes, PT output should be one.

You do need the track to play, otherwise PT will not be sending out the information to your pedal.
Ok, I have no idea then as I am trying right now and can't get it to work

Is there any options in PT that control your midi channel that I may have not seen?

Are there any ways I can tell whether pro tools is sending the data or not?

Edit: so I'm pretty certain that the midi data isn't being sent to the whammy, so either I haven't set up the midi properly to send and receive data or I am selecting the wrong outputs somewhere. Does anyone know what I would need to do to set it up step by step? So I can troubleshoot
Last edited by GuitarHawk99 at Dec 8, 2014,
Quote by chaosmoon
"This was a problem, but they fixed it, so it's not a problem anymore. But I'm still going to hate it."
They're arguments supporting my thesis that it's outdated - considering what has happened in the past it's likely that it will continue being outdated.
Quote by chaosmoon
PT 11 isn't resource hungry at all.
I haven't worked with PT11, but the 10 wasn't fluid and seamless at all on a 2007 macBook with a 2GHz core 2 duo and 4GB ram.
Quote by chaosmoon
And PT 11 comes with a coinstall of PT 10, so you can still use any plugins that might not work in PT 11 because of the new system.
Pretty inconvenient compared to how other DAW's did it.

Logic supported both 32bit and 64bit plugins for almost 4 years before dropping the 32bit ones, and the others have never had any 32bit vs 64bit compatibility issue.
Quote by GuitarHawk99
No better here, we're actually arguing about whether or not PT is the worse.
In your situation at least.
Quote by GuitarHawk99
I suggest you download the free trial of every daw and then decide what to work with basing yourself on that.
Quote by GuitarHawk99
Is there any options in PT that control your midi channel that I may have not seen?
Possibly note info - a note present in a track set up to send midi data on a certain channel might be set on a different channel.
Quote by GuitarHawk99
Are there any ways I can tell whether pro tools is sending the data or not?
The "midi output" led should light up on your interface.
Quote by GuitarHawk99
Edit: so I'm pretty certain that the midi data isn't being sent to the whammy
How so?
Quote by GuitarHawk99
so either I haven't set up the midi properly to send and receive data or I am selecting the wrong outputs somewhere.
Do you see and do you have configured your midi device in the midi studio window?
Have you connected the din connector to the "midi output" connector of your interface?
Is the "midi thru" switch on "off"?
Have you tried switching the "advanced driver" switch to both positions?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Could you please explain that note info thing a bit more?

Actually come to think of it when I go into the midi studio it says whammy but it doesn't show the UM-1G... How would I put it into the midi studio? There don't seem to be any options for creating a new device unless i just haven't seen it
Quote by GuitarHawk99
Could you please explain that note info thing a bit more?
I don't use pro tools and I haven't worked long enough with it to remember.

The principle is that a midi info can be a lot of stuff, and among that lot of stuff one can have a lot of parameters, and you would be able to edit each and everyone of them.

I don't mean to be rude here, but you really, reeeally should open the instruction booklet and have a look at the midi section.

Anyway, it comes to mind that the info you should be sending isn't made of notes - you should be sending a value over CC11 (expression) on ch1.
Are you doing that or are you simply putting notes using velocity to control the expression?
Quote by GuitarHawk99
Actually come to think of it when I go into the midi studio it says whammy but it doesn't show the UM-1G... How would I put it into the midi studio? There don't seem to be any options for creating a new device unless i just haven't seen it
The important thing is the device at the other end of the midi interface.

The fact that PT sees the whammy means they are connected and PT should be able to send midi data to it.

Again, how are the switches on the UM-1G?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
The instruction manual is a poster sized fold out with pictures and barely any words, none regarding pro tools. Maybe there is an online instruction manual, I'll have a look

On the midi track there is a blank block, then in the expression automation lane there is data apparently controlling cc11

Ok so according to the UM-1G manual I am supposed to see the um-1g in pro tools not the whammy, I'll test again today and see. There is a switch for midi thru which needs to be off, and advanced driver which needs to be on.
I'll describe how I do this in Studio One, maybe results will vary...

Hook up midi from pedal to midi in on the interface.

You would probably have to assign some kind of midi in instrument, in my case I just create a generic one in Studio one and let it receive on all channels.

I create a new track with that instrument in mind and activate midi recording, then record a passage. Now you'll have to flip the midi out from Pro Tools to go to the unit or if it is usb it should be bidirectional, but now your whammy has to be the instrument on the out channel, set to receive all midi. See if the sound changes.

If this works then you're ready to set the automation parameters at which point I am not sure if you'll need one track or one audio and one midi track, I think you need midi track since this is midi protocol and you can't have midi on audio track...or I might be wrong.

I usually just control the parameters on my vst instrument plugins for guitar, so in the wah I assign what controller input to receive and midi write and read automation usually handles it, I do my wah moves with my keyboard pitch wheel.
Last edited by diabolical at Dec 8, 2014,
Ok finally got it working, so it was an issue with windows 7

If anyone has this issue in the future and are running on windows 7, you need to right click the pro tools shortcut>properties>shortcut>advanced and check RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR.

Thanks for all your help guys
Oh, one of these issues, I had a really thorny one with soft synths by IK and Studio next, as it'd only see them via the admin, so I just forced it to start as admin every time by going to the icon, right click->properties->compatibility and check "Run as administrator" so it starts I n administration mode every time.