I've heard many times that Lars from Metallica can't drum, now not being a drummer myself i fail to see people's reasoning behind this

Could someone just give me a brief description as to what makes him so bad, and don't give me any of that "He just is" crap or "He can't drum like he used too" (no duh, he is a 50 year old man, well past his physical prime)
He's a fine drummer. I just guess that everyone hates him for the snare tone in St. Anger. I've never had a problem with his playing (and I have some experience with percussions).
He just mostly plays really basic stuff. His beats are all boringly simple, he never does anything other than the most obvious beat. He's marginally better than ACDC's drummer. I don't really care for Metallica anymore anyway, but he in particular is very mediocre. I used to enjoy kill em all, ride the lightning, and master of puppets, but I just got bored of them.

edit: not to say that I'm really a drummer, but the drummer in my band and quite a few that I know are very good and I understand the drums decently enough to know what's going on.
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Dec 6, 2014,
^ Better than AC/DC's drummer? I think AC/DC has a good drummer - they actually had a hard time finding one to replace Phil Rudd when he left the band in the 80s. Complex beats doesn't make a drummer good. It's the "groove".

Lars's problem isn't the beats he plays. IMO he has some good beats. His problem is that he's not a tight drummer (any more - he plays sloppy fills and just doesn't keep the tempo that well). And lately he has started overplaying.

In the late 80s/early 90s he was a good drummer. But then he stopped practicing.

I don't hate Lars but he could play better and I think he should practice. And he should also stop overplaying. He plays too many fills and some of them are in the wrong place (for example middle of the phrase).

I don't think he's a bad drummer. But he's not great either (and as I said, he used to be a lot better - like the whole band did).

Just listen to 2:30. That's the definition of overplaying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_H9ZhYD94E
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Dec 6, 2014,
Lars is a perfectly fine drummer. Not one of the best drummers out there, but he doesn't hinder Metallica in any way. People just seem to like having pet peeves.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Don't get my comment wrong. I just said all the things that I don't like about Lars's playing. He's a decent drummer and a perfect fit for Metallica. People always look at technique. But playing in a band isn't about technique - it's about chemistry. None of the musicians in Metallica are the best when you look at technique (well, I guess Rob is pretty good when it comes to technique). If we look at Kirk, he's not the most accurate player, James has lost his voice, Lars isn't that tight any more. They were all way better in the early 90s. But really, who cares? Music isn't about technique. They can still play their songs well and people still like listening to them playing the songs. And the band enjoys playing their songs. I still like their style and enjoy listening to them. They were the band that inspired me when I started playing guitar and bass.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by Tcrumpen
(no duh, he is a 50 year old man, well past his physical prime)

There are drummers as old and older than Lars who are still beasts at drumming.
Hell, Neil Peart and Stewart Copeland are 60+ and can still tear up a drumset.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Sleaze Disease
There are drummers as old and older than Lars who are still beasts at drumming.
Hell, Neil Peart and Stewart Copeland are 60+ and can still tear up a drumset.

But they won't be as good as they used to be as they are well past their physical primes, meaning they will tire quicker
Does Metallica need anymore drumming though? Imo as a drummer hes done whats needed for the songs. If he drummed any more technical, he would out play Kirk Hammett. Oooooo Lol I think in the Metal Head community, When someone brings up Metallica, Someone else might have been listening to Children of Bodom recently, Thus, (Lars technical playing< Jaska Raatikainen technical playing)
Quote by Tcrumpen
But they won't be as good as they used to be as they are well past their physical primes, meaning they will tire quicker

Bullshit.

Sure, they'll tire quicker, but they can still play far more demanding music than Lars could ever do, even in his prime.
Quote by SteveHouse

Quote by tayroar

Quote by crazy8rgood

Quote by 36mikeyb36
The thing that really pisses me of about Lars is the fact that is drumming became really really weak and he often misses hits on purpose.
Like all those fast thrash beats, like in Hit the Lights or Battery - listen to newer recordings, you will find that instead of going ( not counting hi-hat ) :
bass snarre bass snarre bass snare bass snarre ,
he goes: bass snare (no bass ) snare (no bass) snare (no bass) snare
and that just takes all the drive out of the beats and really heats up my guts. It totally destroys the songs.
Error 404 - Signature not available.
That godawful snare sound on St Anger and the lazy (super basic) drumming on the black album didn't help. I used to be a drummer and I've always considered him to be good, especially on Master and Lightning. I also really like some of his stuff on Death Magnetic. The thing I like most about him is his style of drumming. Love it or hate it you can always tell when it's Lars. He could play a song with a different group of guys and I would immediately know it was him. I like that in a drummer.
Quote by Sleaze Disease
Bullshit.

Sure, they'll tire quicker, but they can still play far more demanding music than Lars could ever do, even in his prime.

Not bullshit it's a fact of science the average age for a male's physical prime is around 24
People give Lars shit because he doesn't try to be a virtuoso drummer. Thing is, he plays what the song needs. Anything beyond that is just fluff, and too much fluff can ruin the song sometimes. I'd rather have a drummer who does what the song needs than a drummer who is constantly trying to show how "great/technical" he/she is.
Quote by Tcrumpen
Not bullshit it's a fact of science the average age for a male's physical prime is around 24

What's your point?
Quote by SteveHouse

Quote by tayroar

Quote by crazy8rgood

Quote by 36mikeyb36
Quote by Tcrumpen

Which means fuck all in this discussion.
I wasn't saying you've got to be super technical to be a great drummer, it's just that he never does anything that you really notice and say, "Hey, that was cool". The only time I even notice Lars is when he does something bad.

Honestly, I can't even really enjoy them, or any other 'normal' metal bands anymore. They just all sound like the same bland thing to me now. I've got nothing against it, I just really wore it out by listening to way too much of that kind of thing back when I was just getting into heavier music.
Well Lars is not a 100% musician and it was not love for playing drums that ever was the drive from the very early days to now.

He took some leasons of touring and recording along the growth of Metallica. Like take from Kill'em'all to Ligthning to Puppets but he was with Cliff and James + Kirk and had to some how to keep up. When it came to recording it was in bits, cut and paged together until the mid '90s at least as he never cared for getting the parts down until they sat firmly.

That led to the true fact that Lars would had been fired on that 1986 tour if Cliff was not killed.

But Lars just played by the vibe of the thing and that is basically his thing.

By Justice recordings he took what he could to the ultimate after a lot of trimming though the double bass triplets in One is a one take!

After Justice he got very bored and since Cliff was gone the music did not push him to other than turning to simple AC/DC groove which he found hard to get down.

Since then he stuck with that and with Death Magnetic and new love for the older stuff + the fun/vibe they have in the band when playing leads him to do all the weird fill stuff etc.

He only practise when playing backstage or the stage but drums is the least of his life. He drives Metallica more than the others.

So some dislike it but without Lars no Metallica!
Quote by MaggaraMarine
^ Better than AC/DC's drummer? I think AC/DC has a good drummer - they actually had a hard time finding one to replace Phil Rudd when he left the band in the 80s. Complex beats doesn't make a drummer good. It's the "groove".

Lars's problem isn't the beats he plays. IMO he has some good beats. His problem is that he's not a tight drummer (any more - he plays sloppy fills and just doesn't keep the tempo that well). And lately he has started overplaying.

In the late 80s/early 90s he was a good drummer. But then he stopped practicing.

I don't hate Lars but he could play better and I think he should practice. And he should also stop overplaying. He plays too many fills and some of them are in the wrong place (for example middle of the phrase).

I don't think he's a bad drummer. But he's not great either (and as I said, he used to be a lot better - like the whole band did).

Just listen to 2:30. That's the definition of overplaying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_H9ZhYD94E

This sounds more like a 12 year-old's garage band performance with their cool uncle who sounds like Hetfield.

I also agree with the rest of his post. I'm listening to "For Whom The Bell Tolls" and re-visiting my 80's metal phase. The drumming is actually solid, still Lars right?
Last edited by Will Lane at Dec 8, 2014,
^ I don't think it sounded that bad - it was a decent performance. Actually the only thing that bothered me was Lars's overplaying, otherwise they played pretty well. Too many fills. Some of them fit the song, some of them didn't. But there was way too many of them. Especially the 2:30 fill... Lars could have played 1/2 of the fills and it would have sounded a lot better. The first verse and chorus were OK but then it got out of hand.

Also, the mix is pretty bad. Drums are too loud, guitars are too quiet. This also makes Lars's playing a lot more prominent and people pay more attention to it.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Because when plebs hear someone doing something that they may not necessarily like, the immediate reaction is "they're shit." Its just needlessly negative white noise.
Check out my Black/Death metal band!
galadh.bandcamp.com

Quote by StewieSwan
I had unprotected sex with an underage, pro-life, christian girl. Beat that.

I'm no drum expert, but I don't think he's shit. It's just that when a band is successful, people start complaining that others are way better but aren't successful. Nirvana was technically shit, but it was powerful and hugely successful, and Black Sabbath didn't fare too well either in comparison to their contemporaries. I mean, Ozzy is technically one of the worst singers in history.

Slayer beat the crap out of Metallica technically, Dave Lombardo eats Lars Ulrich alive, yet they didn't write love songs (except for "213", maybe...) and didn't have the charisma (or the will, perhaps) to become a mainstream band.

Lars Ulrich is no shit drummer, he's just nothing special. If he's successful with what he's doing, he's going to receive a lot of hatred.
Last edited by Knarrenheino at Dec 20, 2014,
It's probably because he is a tennis player.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.