I currently have a schecter Damien Elite 7, and I like the neck on it quite a bit, but I'm just not digging the guitar anymore. It was a decent guitar to learn on but I want a real 7 string. I really like the look of the km7, but I want to say the Carvin is a bit better as far as specs. Any input?
Carvin is a semi-custom company. So with them it's all about how much you are willing to put down. For the price of the KM-7 ($1k USD) you won't get a lot from Carvin. At $1k you are getting a really base model with basically zero options. The KM-7 is a really solid guitar, not everyone's thing but I see a lot of people who buy one are extremely happy about it. I'd highly recommend you play one before you buy. If you are in the US then your Local Guitar Center might have one.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
well i agree and disagree

wit hcarvin - to get the fancy wood options and bells and wistles which are pretty much for looks, it may cost about 400-500 extra bucks on top of the base models. that is to be expected. for the base price, you are pretty much going to get a gloss solid color on the stock wood options.

but how is that different than buying from any other company?

HOWEVER - the base guitar is setup exatly the same as a upgraded one. same pups, same neck and playability. for the mostp art same tone and build quality. so for the same of schechter vs carvin, even withteh base model i still say teh carvin blows the schecter out of the water in build quality.

here are some items to consider - for 1000 only, carvin will be a hardtail bridge. the originial floyd option is a solid few hundred bucks as it should be.

carvin stock pickups are fairly adequate but nothing to brag about. not sure what is in the schecter.

i think even with the base builds carvins blow most guitars away.
i think with the upgraded options they blow about 80% of the guitars in the world away at any price. about a 1500ish dollar investment

i think with custom mods on top of that, new wiring, new pickups, etc about a 2000ish dollar investment, they blow about 90% of teh guitars in the world away at any price.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by ikey_
well i agree and disagree

wit hcarvin - to get the fancy wood options and bells and wistles which are pretty much for looks, it may cost about 400-500 extra bucks on top of the base models. that is to be expected. for the base price, you are pretty much going to get a gloss solid color on the stock wood options.

but how is that different than buying from any other company?

HOWEVER - the base guitar is setup exatly the same as a upgraded one. same pups, same neck and playability. for the mostp art same tone and build quality. so for the same of schechter vs carvin, even withteh base model i still say teh carvin blows the schecter out of the water in build quality.

here are some items to consider - for 1000 only, carvin will be a hardtail bridge. the originial floyd option is a solid few hundred bucks as it should be.

carvin stock pickups are fairly adequate but nothing to brag about. not sure what is in the schecter.

i think even with the base builds carvins blow most guitars away.
i think with the upgraded options they blow about 80% of the guitars in the world away at any price. about a 1500ish dollar investment

i think with custom mods on top of that, new wiring, new pickups, etc about a 2000ish dollar investment, they blow about 90% of teh guitars in the world away at any price.

The KM-7 has the Seymour Duncan Nazgûl/Sentient set, there should be no reason to touch that guitar's electronics. Carvin's pickups are average, as you said, and if you wanted to Option 50 (as in do something that isn't in the custom shop options) new pickups, you're going to more than likely pay the cost of the pickups plus $50 for installation. I can't disagree that Carvin makes very good guitars, but the options are just very lackluster at the same price point as the KM-7. And the KM-7 is a very solid guitar, as I said. I've played a few and they aren't my thing but I could tell they are very well built.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
I appreciate the feedback guys. I do live in the U.S, but the only guitar center is about an hour away, and they don't have either of them. There isn't any guitar shops around locally that sell anything besides fender and ibanez.
i will probably give in that out of the box, teh schecter may sound better. i still maintain that out of the box, the carvin is built far superior. i think to get a carvin at the price point they are, some corners were cut. i think a carvin is every bit as good as a PRS minus some items. add custom wiring, pups, harware, etc, and the carvin would and should cost every bit as much as a PRS.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Maybe find a Carvin with a neck around the specs of the Schecter you have? I'd go with a used one too if you don't care too much about customization. You could save around 50% than if you ordered it direct, plus some people come up with some sick guitars so it's a pretty good chance you'll like what they created!
I like Schecters; I've always thought they were a well-done Korean guitar, and I like the fact that they re-set-up the guitars in Burbank before they ship them out. If you're sort of a new-ish player and just want to get into a 7-string to get into one, it's a good choice and the price is decent. If what you're after is a black satin guitar and all you're likely to play is metal, you're home. With this Schecter, you have two choices, and the other is white. Pretty standard consumer guitar.

If I were going that direction, I'd probably pick up one of the Agile Interceptor Pro 728 (28 5/8" scale) at Rondo Music. The main difference will be the neck-through construction of the Interceptor Pro (the Schecter's a glued-neck), the fact that you can get it in other finishes in addition to black, that you can get it with a Floyd and SD Blackouts (Phase 2) and that there's no brick-and-mortar store tacking on an extra layer of profit (the pricetag's around $599 because you're buying from the importer, not a retailer). And the body is mahogany.

Carvins really aren't directly comparable to either of the above. The DC7X is a neck-through 27" seven-string, but there the comparison ends. The Carvin is a custom guitar with active A70 pickups (Stig hasn't played these, trust me). Build quality is on a whole 'nother level. You have a choice of a bunch of different woods and maybe 35-40 different finishes. You're buying directly from the builder, not from a store that bought from an importer that bought from a builder. My suggestion is that you don't even bother looking at the Carvins until you really have a solid idea what you want in a guitar; comparing spec sheets isn't going to do it.

My suggestion is that if you like the Schecter, you try the Agile Interceptor Pro instead. You'll get a very similar guitar with a lot more solid bottom end (thanks to the longer scale and the neck-through construction) and you'll save $400 that you would have donated to the Sweetwater building fund and employee Christmas party.

When you're ready, THEN take another look at the Carvins.

I really like the Schecters. The ones I've played have been really nice.
I don't own any.

I do own seven Carvins.
Heres the thing for the price point I'd say get the schecter. If you can invest a bit more money then go carvin. For more money you can get can really nice looking carvin with the pups you want. But for the 1 grand schecter will have the pickups you want (I assume) and play just fine

IMPORTANT INFO_ carvin used way smaller pots so when you switch pickups you actually end up needing to make more room for the new pot for the pickups can add some money.
Guitars-LEFTY
Bernie Rico Jr. Custom Jekyll
Schecter ATX
Schecter Tempest Cust.
Ibanez GIO
Amps
Laney VH100R-Sell/Trade?? pm me
Cube 15
Misc.
THD HOT plate Attentuator and other stuff
KM7. It's being hailed as one of the greatest non-custom 7 strings ever produced. And for good reason. It's an absolute beast, and way better than anything you'll get from Carvin for the same price. Carvin guitars can be awesome, as well, but you're going to spend a lot more with them, to get something comparable to the KM7. Keith Merrow has stopped using and sold a couple of his $5000+ custom guitars since he got the KM7s, because he just doesn't play them anymore.
Quote by Deadeuphoria
I currently have a schecter Damien Elite 7, and I like the neck on it quite a bit, but I'm just not digging the guitar anymore. It was a decent guitar to learn on but I want a real 7 string. I really like the look of the km7, but I want to say the Carvin is a bit better as far as specs. Any input?

I have to wonder, what makes you think your Damien Elite 7 isn't a "real 7 string"? It's got 7 strings, and active EMG pickups, and is made of woods that are very typical of guitars at all price ranges. Everything about it is right on par with any other standard mass-production guitar. Is it the bolt on neck? Because that's not a sign of low quality. Some of the best (and most expensive) guitars ever made use bolt on necks, and some of the best players honestly prefer it. It's a preference thing, not a quality thing. The fact that it costs a bit less to produce, and therefore translates to cheaper retail price on certain models, is incidental.

If you're just not feeling it like you used to, and want something different, that's fine. Go for it. Just don't make the mistake of thinking that the guitar you already own is some kind of entry-level piece of crap. It's absolutely not.
Last edited by the_bi99man at Dec 7, 2014,
Quote by the_bi99man
KM7. It's being hailed as one of the greatest non-custom 7 strings ever produced.

Yup, those marketing copy boys have been slinging it pretty hard.
Ack.
Quote by dspellman
Ack.

Actually I hear this sort of praise on sevenstring.org from real people, not advertisers. There's even a entire thread dedicated to just the KM-7.

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/sevenstring-guitars/252283-schecter-km-7-keith-merrow-signature-thread.html
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by dspellman
Ack.

I've heard about a million comments from normal people saying that and not a single person who got one who was less than very happy about it.

Also I'm not sure why they would market a signature guitar of a not that well known prog/death metal guitarist above others...
Quote by dspellman
Ack.

Yeah, as those other guys already replied, it's a lot more than marketing people and advertisers saying that. Believe it or not, it actually is a great guitar, and easily the best 7 string on the market in its price range (speaking about specs, obviously, as sound and feel are subjective).
as much as I hate Keith Merrow his guitar is really nice. Stainless steel frets being the big thing so the guitar is built to last. My friend who is a fan of his shitty music ended up going with an 8 string carvin though earlier this year instead.
Oh and the active pickups are actually passive but with some sort of "active" switch fairly certain
Guitars-LEFTY
Schecter ATX
Schecter Tempest Cust.
Ibanez GIO
Amps
Cube 15
Misc.
Quote by Tallwood13
as much as I hate Keith Merrow his guitar is really nice. Stainless steel frets being the big thing so the guitar is built to last. My friend who is a fan of his shitty music ended up going with an 8 string carvin though earlier this year instead.

I predict a ban.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
interesting point. part of the reason my carvin is awesome is that i picked almost everything about it based on my preference. thats part of the appeal. if you arent ready to do that, it really does kill some of the value proposition.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Quote by Tallwood13

Stainless frets aren't a big value-added proposition these days. Agile's got them on some $400 production guitars as well as making them a comfortable surcharge item on any of the semi-custom orders. Carvin has traditionally asked for a $40 surcharge. That doesn't say "built to last" as much as neck-through construction might. .

I'm not seeing a whole lot in the guitar that makes it much different from anything else, other than that it's probably one of the early uses of that particular set of SD pickups. I notice that it's got a compound radius, but those have been around for years (Carvin used to have a 12-16" compound radius fretboard standard on their guitars at one point), and the truth is, it's largely unnoticeable. I'd rather have a 16" radius all the way through, since you don't even GET to the 16" part until the 24th fret. If I had to describe it, I'd say it's generally more like a comfortable 14" radius fretboard.
Last edited by dspellman at Dec 7, 2014,
Quote by TheStig1214
Actually I hear this sort of praise on sevenstring.org from real people, not advertisers. There's even a entire thread dedicated to just the KM-7.

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/sevenstring-guitars/252283-schecter-km-7-keith-merrow-signature-thread.html

You mean the one where people are complaining about electronics issues and the cover finish wearing off down to copper, etc.?
Quote by TheLiberation
I've heard about a million comments from normal people saying that and not a single person who got one who was less than very happy about it.

A MILLION comments...

Quote by dspellman
You mean the one where people are complaining about electronics issues and the cover finish wearing off down to copper, etc.?

Details, details.

The cover finish is more SD's problem. But yeah Schecter fixed that issue with the faulty pot or switch or whatever it was.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Well for one, pickups aren't relevant in my decision of guitar purchase, I will be changing them for some bare knuckle pickups. And as far as the reason I don't think it's a real seven string, is because it's not. It feels cheap, I don't like bolt on necks (I have a horizon) and I like the feel and look of a neck through. Sounds like I'm gonna go with Carvin. I didn't know they built guitars to user specs.
Carvin also has a few "In Stock" guitars. Basically the same price as custom guitars though. Cheapest Neck through they got right now is a DC700 at $1200. http://www.carvinguitars.com/guitars-in-stock/124593

I'd also look at Agiles, as dspellman said earlier in the thread. Very good guitars and lots of options for the price.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by Deadeuphoria
And as far as the reason I don't think it's a real seven string, is because it's not. It feels cheap, I don't like bolt on necks (I have a horizon) and I like the feel and look of a neck through.

Well you have an interesting definition of "real", then.

It seems that the bolt on neck is the only reason you think it's not "real". Like I said, that is absolutely, 100% not an issue of quality, whatsoever. It's a preference thing, and its relation to price is purely incidental. If you don't like it, that's cool. I'm not huge on bolt on necks, either. Just an interesting way to define, "real".

If you give me a good price, I'll buy your fake 7 string off you.
Quote by Tallwood13

Keith Merrow's shitty music is better than your music. And then there's his good music...
Quote by Deadeuphoria
Well for one, pickups aren't relevant in my decision of guitar purchase, I will be changing them for some bare knuckle pickups.

Well like I stated earlier, you may have too check because you will need new pots of course. The actually routed area for the pots is smaller then usual though and you may need to physically creat more space for the new pots for the CARVIN, the km will be easier
Guitars-LEFTY
Schecter ATX
Schecter Tempest Cust.
Ibanez GIO
Amps
Cube 15
Misc.
Quote by the_bi99man
Well you have an interesting definition of "real", then.

It seems that the bolt on neck is the only reason you think it's not "real". Like I said, that is absolutely, 100% not an issue of quality, whatsoever. It's a preference thing, and its relation to price is purely incidental. If you don't like it, that's cool. I'm not huge on bolt on necks, either. Just an interesting way to define, "real".

If you give me a good price, I'll buy your fake 7 string off you.

it's for sale for $250
Quote by dspellman
A MILLION comments...

Hyperbole is the use of exaggeration as a rhetorical device or figure of speech. It may be used to evoke strong feelings or to create a strong impression, but is not meant to be taken literally.

I pretty much never buy anything just based on people's opinions, but if I did, then based on what I'd heard from lots of various ERG nerds ("nerds" used in a definitely positive meaning in this case), I'd be getting one already if I had the money. Besides the fact the specs are exactly right up my alley. (The only 7-strings I've seen get this much praise are... well, Carvins :p although I'm not in the US so not an option for me)
Wait until after NAMM when they reveal their new pickups, then order the Carvin. Trust me. You won't be disappoint
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com