Hi Guys,

I just bought GuitarMIDI (http://jamorigin.com/products/midi-guitar/) and I like it a lot. Just plug the guitar into your A/D interface, and it generates MIDI which can be used with its own provided synth, or routed on to whatever. No hex pickup required, and it handles chords, hammers, pull-offs etc.

I've also tried YouRock guitar, a dedicated MIDI controller, built like a guitar, but no strings. This I find much harder to play.

Just wondering if any of you have experimented with guitar and synth, and how happy you were with the playability, tracking, false triggering ...

cheers, Jerry
I've tried out GuitarMIDI. It's pretty solid. The one warning is, you have to be careful. Because if you overdo it, then it will be obvious that it's a guitar with a snyth effect. If that's what you're going for, fine. If not, then you need to dial the riffs/whatever back.

I never experienced any issues with it, other than the above. (And that's operator error, not software error.)
Quote by jerrykramskoy
Hi Guys,

I just bought GuitarMIDI (http://jamorigin.com/products/midi-guitar/) and I like it a lot. Just plug the guitar into your A/D interface, and it generates MIDI which can be used with its own provided synth, or routed on to whatever. No hex pickup required, and it handles chords, hammers, pull-offs etc.

I've also tried YouRock guitar, a dedicated MIDI controller, built like a guitar, but no strings. This I find much harder to play.

Just wondering if any of you have experimented with guitar and synth, and how happy you were with the playability, tracking, false triggering ...

cheers, Jerry

I use a midi guitar quite often. It obviously opens you up to a wide variety of sounds, which is great, but ultimately it's not nearly as expressive or dynamic as playing a guitar.

I find I have to do alot of post production fixes …. cleaning up midi.

personally I think the midi thing is better suited for a keyboard controller rather than a guitar.

definitely fun though!
shred is gaudy music
I prefer guitar synth to regular guitar, but you need immaculate technique and killer lateral vibrato to avoid misfiring the thing.

I love it. It's hardcore mode, no room for dumb error.

I get a lot of flak at school for being the one guitar player who prefers new/digital to vintage/analog. It's 2014, embrace the future.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
GuitarMidi looks really interesting. I don't understand how you connect your guitar to the computer though. Any suggestions on audio interfaces? Do I connect the audio interface to the USB port and my guitar, and the Midi Guitar sound comes out through the headphone port on the computer?
Last edited by Will Lane at Dec 6, 2014,
Quote by Jet Penguin
I prefer guitar synth to regular guitar, but you need immaculate technique and killer lateral vibrato to avoid misfiring the thing.

I love it. It's hardcore mode, no room for dumb error.

I get a lot of flak at school for being the one guitar player who prefers new/digital to vintage/analog. It's 2014, embrace the future.

I think it's cool, it's just not as dynamic as playing a real instrument.

and alot things that you consider "dumb error" actually sound great on a real guitar and are not in any way errors…. but a midi pickup doesn't know what to do with those sounds, so you have to change how you play.

that said, it is fun.
shred is gaudy music
This is true, I suppose part of my bias is I've used ones with a mix knob, so the actual "guitar" sounds (screams and string noise and whatnot) actually come through.

I'd probably miss the overdramatic pitch bends and aggressive playing on a pure synth.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
I got the demo to work through a USB mic and headphone adapter, sounds alright but there is noticable latency. Also, it's not uber smooth working with just notes. Is this something a proper audio interface will solve?

A few people have posted about wanting audio interfaces... I think you started something :p

I had some issues with getting plugins to work. I was running the x64 version instead of the x32. Apparently that is bad.
Last edited by Will Lane at Dec 7, 2014,
I've had celemony melodyne for a long time now. It's primary purpose is pitch correction like autotune but I hardly ever use it for that. I do use occasionally to use my guitar as a midi controller. I play something, analyse it through melodyne, and save as midi.

I have to clean up the midi a little bit as it will sometimes pick up harmonics but if I'm using a clean signal and have the settings right it works well.

I've been doing this a while and I really like it. It also does regular and polyphonic pitch correction too.

Key difference though is I don't have instant audio feedback - I only have the clean guitar for audio feedback. Which can make a difference to the way you play.

Still, it's fun.
Si
Quote by Will Lane
I got the demo to work through a USB mic and headphone adapter, sounds alright but there is noticable latency. Also, it's not uber smooth working with just notes. Is this something a proper audio interface will solve?

A few people have posted about wanting audio interfaces... I think you started something :p

I had some issues with getting plugins to work. I was running the x64 version instead of the x32. Apparently that is bad.

I've not really had any latency issue, but I am running through a fairly high-end audio interface (MR816csx).

The bad news is this showing how much my technique has detiorated from not playing for around a year (injury). The good news is it's inspired me to crack on, as my hands are pretty much recovered now.

I primarily bought MIDIguitar (MG) to see how well it could work with some software I've been developing. Interestingly, this is showing that there any occasional octaves being generated by MG that I definitely wasn't playing ... but still sounds fine.

The really cool thing about MG is it doesn't require a hexaphonic pickup. It just analyses the digital audio within your computer. BTW: If you need to run its MIDI output somwehere else (when not using its VST) then there's another useful download ... LoopMidi. This is how I hooked up my software to MG's MIDI output.

Also, the provided synth with MG is pretty good .. lot of control available over it.

cheers, Jerry
Quote by Will Lane

Haven't tried the VST yet. I'll let you know!!

cheers, Jerry
Quote by 20Tigers
I've had celemony melodyne for a long time now. It's primary purpose is pitch correction like autotune but I hardly ever use it for that. I do use occasionally to use my guitar as a midi controller. I play something, analyse it through melodyne, and save as midi.

I have to clean up the midi a little bit as it will sometimes pick up harmonics but if I'm using a clean signal and have the settings right it works well.

I've been doing this a while and I really like it. It also does regular and polyphonic pitch correction too.

Key difference though is I don't have instant audio feedback - I only have the clean guitar for audio feedback. Which can make a difference to the way you play.

Still, it's fun.

You've just given me a new product idea: auto-quantise for fingers :-) A comfy mechanical glove that enforces correct timing!!

cheers, Jerry
For anyone interested, I did a few videos utilizing MIDI Guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdWBIlDWrfs (Lead Synth Model)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XZHar67-h0 (Trance Wave VST)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckj3nY4z_L0 (Delay Plugin)

I can't seem to get the effects to work with the instrument modeling, it only works with the dry guitar signal. I guess you could use your laptop/Iphone or Ipad for a stompbox-like processor, but you'd have to hook up some sort of midi switching device which I'm not sure how to do, not to mention the cables everywhere and implementation with other pedals. I also can't stack the effects, so I'm limited to using just one per preset.

With buying the Audio Interface (if you don't have one) and the $99 for the software, it is an expensive toy for someone like me to use only a delay patch. I see value in some of the instrument modeling, but the tracking doesn't always work well. I'm not using an AI like they recommend, but I'm not sure how much better it could get. However, you can use the effects/dry signal section free of charge, but you'll need the AI to remove the majority of the latency. Free reverse delay! Wooooo
Last edited by Will Lane at Dec 8, 2014,