Right so this is my first post on UG ever (and probably not my last either)

After searching so long for the plectrum that felt most comfortable to me I inally found it last year in the form of some rather unusual EVH nylon plectrums.
Admittedly some folks love them and others hate them but for me if it's acoustic or electric they just feel right.

Knowing that I was on to a good thing and anything that is an artist branded product will no doubt cease production one day? I thought I'd find an alternative that is thet same but minus the evh tin and name.

I had a shootout over the past couple of days between all kinds o nylon plectrums including herco flex 75's, Dunlop midi's, riffs, max grips, Fender nylon, etc... and although many come close none are the same which leads me to believe this plectrum is made to some kind of custom gauge.

67-75mm plectrums just seem too stiff and have no little give in them by comparison. but equally a 60mm size seems to have too much give and just doesn't catch the strings quite the same, if I were to hazard a guess I would say the have to be maybe a 63mm? possibly which I have never really seen produced elsewhere.

All argument aside this leads me to my point that although in a situation any plectrum will do (more or less) who sat down and decided on the standardized sizes what if all those inbetween sizes that aren't used actually make up a little piece of the puzzle behind unique technique and sound?

Anyway that's enough waffling on for me! hope any who read this find it atleast informative and if not then thanks or reading anyway!
Last edited by sduff86 at Dec 6, 2014,
I use Dunlop Tortex or Clayton Duraplex (same pic material, different company) because the .60 is the pick have preferred for almost 20 years
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^ only .60mm?
I really couldn't imagine myself playing with a pick thinner than 1mm really

AVH's are .60mm picks anyway.
And a .60mm pick will make the exact same sound of a .63mm pick of the same shape, texture and material if you pass the sound through a guitar amp.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
^ only .60mm?
I really couldn't imagine myself playing with a pick thinner than 1mm really

AVH's are .60mm picks anyway.
And a .60mm pick will make the exact same sound of a .63mm pick of the same shape, texture and material if you pass the sound through a guitar amp.

Yeah, I get that from a lot of people, but it is my preference.

I'll use the occasional .70 if I really have to, but they are too stiff for my liking typically, unless I'm playing bass.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Just get some Dunlop Nylon Standards .60mm and you should be good to go. They are more than likely just re-branded .60mm Dunlop Nylon's anyways.
Glad you found your "Goldilocks" (This one is Juuuust right) pick.
I'm using 2mm and 3mm picks (no give at all) with very sharp points from Gravity ("Razer" I think), but I've got a Pick Punch, and if it's just acoustic strumming, I'll punch a half dozen out of an old credit card and use those.
I tried the Dunlop 60's still feels a little too "flexy" whatever it is that makes those evh's just right I'll probably never know so instead Ill just buy a load until I'm forced to change.

It always amazes me how some people can play with 2mm and 3mm picks or me it just feels so unnatural, but that's why we're all different. I'd imagine some of it depends on your string gauge too I like my 9-42's so anything much heavier than a .80mm just eels like you're trying to break the strings. I did see recently Jim Dunlop started making some glow in the dark nylons?? seems a little bit gimmicky....
I guess the EVH's are Herco Nylon Flex .60s (that are also made by Dunlop). The Herco's have a little bit different mixture than the regular Dunlop Nylon's (according to Dunlop) so that could be the reason they feel a little different/stiffer. The only problem is, Herco doesn't make a non signature series .60, only .50 & .75.

They could feel different though since the mixture is different. Even though they are the same thickness the Herco could feel stiffer because of that. If that's the case, the EVH's may be your only option if they are truly the perfect pick for you. Luckily Dunlop Nylons are my perfect picks for over 2 decades now. They are cheap and can be found basically anywhere.
Like Robb, I use to always use a .60mm (El-Cheapo dunlop match) pick just because I liked the flex that it had. I switched to a 1mm after I heard myself recorded for the first time (on the recommendation of my producer). I found that the .60mm pick sort of made my tone sound weak overall, whereas the 1mm gave me that extra bite where it really digs into the stings. My rhythm sounded fuller, and my leads were a little cleaner, because the pick was making more solid contact with the stings.

It took me a while to get use to the feel of the 1mm, but I'm glad I made the switch!

Edit: I do often use .88m (green tortex) picks when playing live ( I like the little bit of flex), but I always fall back to the 1mm for recording.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Last edited by red.guitar at Dec 7, 2014,
^ I've never had any issues with my tone sounding thin
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I will always say this when it comes to pick gauge. Winspear 5mm Shiv XLs or nothing.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Dava picks vary a bit so they're stiff but with more give, Pick boy also does asimikat thing with different material.
http://www.davapick.com/

http://www.musiclandcentral.com/pb-pro-picks-packs.html

Try their .70s and .60, the nylon has more elasticity.
Quote by red.guitar
I found that the .60mm pick sort of made my tone sound weak overall, whereas the 1mm gave me that extra bite where it really digs into the stings. My rhythm sounded fuller, and my leads were a little cleaner, because the pick was making more solid contact with the stings..
Those though are hardly reasons why a guitar string might sound different through p/ups and an amp.
And I agree with robb, it's kinda strange the sound would change that much only changing pick size with everything else being the same.
Even position and angle of the pick relative to the string would make a bigger effect than a 0.4mm change.

Texture and material are hella more impactful - even though not much impactful in the end.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Robbgnarly
^ I've never had any issues with my tone sounding thin

I guess I should clarify. I never meant that there is a night and day difference between a thinker/thinner pick, just that I thought that when listening back to my recorded guitar track by itself, a thicker pick sounded cleaner, and had a little more bit.

Honestly its all whatever feels best in your hand IMO. With everything in the mix, you would never hear a difference.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by red.guitar
I guess I should clarify. I never meant that there is a night and day difference between a thinker/thinner pick, just that I thought that when listening back to my recorded guitar track by itself, a thicker pick sounded cleaner, and had a little more bit.

Honestly its all whatever feels best in your hand IMO. With everything in the mix, you would never hear a difference.

I can see where that might have an effect. I agree it is all preference
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate