Hi - Any recommendations for live music in Ireland? I'll be passing through in May and need some ideas for where to go.

Thanks
A month later and a few hundred miles away is Glastonbury if you can manage that. I've been 3 times, always a good time!
just watch out or your bundle might be stolen in a neat locality

and then you'll be doing some hearty jigs down among the pigs
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by MapOfYourHead
Every town and city in Ireland has live traditional music nights every week, and they're always decent enough.

Can you name a few places so I can plan it out?
Quote by theogonia777
just watch out or your bundle might be stolen in a neat locality

and then you'll be doing some hearty jigs down among the pigs

Maybe Amsterdam is a safer bet.
Quote by Marrowoflife
Maybe Amsterdam is a safer bet.

and you want to go to ireland to hear irish music

are you kidding me
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
be sure to tell them you have irish ancestors which makes you practically irish, they love that
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

also, if you smoke, make sure you get the cigarettes out of the carton by smacking it. All the Irish people do that, and it'll make you look less like a tourist.
superman is killing himself tonight
Great time to go as the weather is good and summer crowds are not in yet. I spent 2 weeks in Ireland last year and loved it. There are 10 pubs in every town and all have live music of sorts so when you get in, ask around of the locals to find a place that suits you.

Remember that even though it is May, Ireland is the same latitude as southern Alaska so it is colder than you might think. Maybe 10F colder than SFO. I have travelled quite a bit and Ireland is probably one of the friendliest places on earth.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Dec 6, 2014,
also be sure to carry around a shillelagh with you case shit goes down
And call them all Paddy
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

also be sure to reference the blarney stone, luck of the irish, and druids a lot
Dont mention the Troubles.

Also, Dublin is like mini London with no english people, music scenes good and a pub on every corner (more or less)

Try other larger towns and cities too. Cork's a fine place and so is the Kilkenny area. Actually, Kilkenny also had a music festival going on in May.

http://www.kilkennyroots.com/
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Last edited by EpiExplorer at Dec 6, 2014,
I live just outside Galway.
Don't worry about finding trad music, it.......is...........everywhere!
If you're in Galway check out Monroes, An Pucan and Tig Coili. They're all pretty central and Tig Coili has trad sessions constantly.
Aye Aye, enjoy your trip, also be warned that Ireland is absolutely the worst place ever.

But I hope you like it :L
Thanks to the kind replies. I've been to Ireland but did not have time to get out of Dublin.

Kilkenny sounds like a good idea..

Thanks
Quote by Trowzaa
be sure to tell them you have irish ancestors which makes you practically irish, they love that

mah femily reins from 'a emerald isles
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by Marrowoflife
I've been to Ireland but did not have time to get out of Dublin.

when you left

did you think that it was a pity

to be so soon deprived

a view of that fine city
Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by Marrowoflife

All you really need to do is plan out what cities/towns you want to visit and then take a walk in the evening past the pubs.
You don't really need to plan your pub visits, just go in where you hear the music.
Quote by Baby Joel
also, if you smoke, make sure you get the cigarettes out of the carton by smacking it. All the Irish people do that, and it'll make you look less like a tourist.

explain this
If you like Game of Thrones be sure to visit the North. Belfast is well worth visiting if you're looking for a drunken night out. There's a lot of nice scenery so if you're interested in that type of thing visiting the giants causeway and climbing the mourne mountains should be pretty fun.

Apart from Dublin Galway has a great nightlife.
Last edited by Duffman123 at Dec 7, 2014,
Quote by Duffman123
Galway has a great nightlife.

also galway boys are always by to join in the fray if they see you're hobbling
Quote by Marrowoflife

There's like a pub on every street of every town mate

Sligo is good craic

Belfast is good craic

I'm only an expert on the craic in those two places