I am interested to know if there are any great guitarist in modern rock, blues rock, that don't shred; and my shred I mean play ultrafast. Maybe examples of guitarists that favor melodic leads over fast...just looking for new bands and artists to get inspired by...thanks in advance.
If you're looking for bands/guitarists that don't shred much/fast/at all:
Adam Jones of Tool
Jerry Cantrell of Alice in Chains
Claudio Sanchez/Travis Stever of Coheed and Cambria
Dan Donegan of Disturbed

Also, some bands that have super fast leads also have great rhythm riffs and guitarists like James Hetfield of Metallica, Aaron Lewis' parts in Staind, ... so that's another aspect you can look at.
Paul Gilbert. Seriously. His newest stuff is very high quality blues-rock. Also Devin Townsend, Matthew Bellamy(Muse), and Ryan Bruce.
Quote by bglclub
I am interested to know if there are any great guitarist in modern rock, blues rock, that don't shred; and my shred I mean play ultrafast. Maybe examples of guitarists that favor melodic leads over fast...just looking for new bands and artists to get inspired by...thanks in advance.

Great guitarists s I've been listening mostly to in the last few years

Scott Holiday - Rival Sons
Jeff Angell - Missionary Position, Walking Papers
Chris Gavin - Dust For Life, White Noise Theory
Robben Ford. His music is grounded in blues rock but has morphed a lot over the years. Inspiring player IMO. He's certainly got the heat when he wants it but doesn't rely on speed/shred to make a point.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Have you seen Eric Gales he is amazing! also Hamilton Loomis and Brent Hutchinson all very good!
John Frusciante is a fantastic guitar player as well. Can do everything well. Also Jerry Cantrell and Tom Morello
Mike Mushok from Staind doesn't do much shredding, only on their newest album. If you want to play his part, get ready to do some VERY crazy tunings and mess with big strings. He also has a PRS artist model baritone.
Bands I like: Acceptance, Ivoryline, Mae, Coheed and Cambria, Breaking Benjamin, Megadeth, Trapt, Staind, Crossfade, and of course Rush!

Guitars: Schecter 2002 Diamond Series C-1
You have to check out Jimmie Vaughan, SRV's big brother. He once said "it's not the notes you play that count, it's the ones you don't play." Trust me, he's very capable of shredding your brains out, but almost never does it.
------------------------------
Ibanez Artstar AS80
Yamaha CG151C
Yamaha YPG225
Yamaha FG720S
Peavey Special 212
Vox Cambridge 15
DR Pure Blues .010s, Dunlop Gel Heavys