First time posting here... I've worked on this one for a while and I'm really happy with it but I want to see what you guys think. And of course, C4C.

Made it in Guitar Pro 6 so its better to listen to that version but I exported a GP5 version. If you try it in GP5 you might need to mess with the track volumes. The bass and left guitar might need to be louder, the clean guitar is supposed to have heavy delay, etc. I used some double dots for the 7/8 times that wouldn't transfer to 5 I know. I included an MP3 so if you don't have GP6 can listen to it in its intended form, which I would highly recommend since I don't know what it sounds like in gp5.

Thanks for listening!

GPX
MP3

EDIT: The GP5 is uploaded directly through UG cuz some people might not wanna download something through another site. The GPX is too big for whatever reason though so I had to use sharesend.com. Same for the MP3.

EDIT 2: Thanks to RedDeath9 and Million Dead for the crit. I deleted a riff and solo and replaced it with a different part I wrote (bars 154-209). Just no lyrics yet for that part yet. I updated the files so anyone who downloads them will get the new version.
Attachments:
Production & Destruction gp5.zip
Last edited by cdg3952 at Dec 7, 2014,
Upload these to your post directly. Users don't want to follow links to other sites they're not familiar with.
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
Upload these to your post directly. Users don't want to follow links to other sites they're not familiar with.

I tried to but it said the file was too large. I tried putting it in a zip too but it was still to big. Is there a better way to compress the files so I can upload them directly?
It's the MP3 that's way too big. People don't typically include those in this forum. If something is included besides GP5 or GP6 it's MIDI. If you're GP6 version totally relies on the RSE I could understand not wanting to do that. If you really want to include the MP3 version, maybe leave that on the site you're linking to and just upload the GP5 and GPX directly to the post.
Quote by cdg3952
I tried to but it said the file was too large. I tried putting it in a zip too but it was still to big. Is there a better way to compress the files so I can upload them directly?

Did you zip it correctly? Using something like winzip, winrar or 7zip? The file size shouldn't be extremely huge, you should be able to upload it... Try zipping the files separately, if you didn't try that before?
Quote by RedDeath9
Did you zip it correctly? Using something like winzip, winrar or 7zip? The file size shouldn't be extremely huge, you should be able to upload it... Try zipping the files separately, if you didn't try that before?

I did try to zip them separately. I might just be dumb... but I've tried WinZip and 7zip and I can't get it small enough. I can only get the gpx down to like 110 and the maximum is 97.
I understand why some people might not wanna go through another site. I'll just deal with it I guess though. It's not against the rules is it?

EDIT: I got the GP5 small enough, but still not the GPX
Last edited by cdg3952 at Dec 6, 2014,
I DL'd it, still have to listen though I feel bad posting and not giving the song an actual crit. Let me finish up some studying and I'll get to it.
Quote by RedDeath9
I DL'd it, still have to listen though I feel bad posting and not giving the song an actual crit. Let me finish up some studying and I'll get to it.

Thanks man. I appreciate the help even if I couldn't figure it out
It started off okay, a bit slow but I can dig it. I'm trying to figure out exactly how it's "prog metal," though. That term gets thrown around a lot and I don't think people really know what it means. A lot of the times I'll see "prog metal" songs here, and they're all similar to what you've posted - basically just a really long rock song with clean guitars and pianos. I'm sure some people are fans of it, but I find it a bit boring.

I've listened to the GP5 a couple times, I'll switch to the mp3 now.

Okay, ~1:25, that whole part there sounds waaayy better in mp3 form. 2:57 has a pretty cool guitar build-up thing, but I don't see the point of what is bar 89 in the GP5 file, the highest note right before the other riff starts. IMO you could just go straight into bar 90. When the drums come in, it'd probably benefit from a more consistent snare hit, rather than the odd thing you've got going on now.

That 7/8 clean riff is pretty cool. The next riff and the solo are alright, but the solo could probably be improved - I'm not a fan of those 16th note runs that last forever.

6:13 is pretty nice too, I particularly like the delay effect here. This sounds like Light of Day, Day of Darkness by Green Carnation.

Song definitely sounds like it should be ending after 8:30. Those harmonies around 8:40 are really nice. It throws in just enough variation to keep my attention.

Even though I said it shoulda ended, 9:38 has some potential as a cool riff. And the "vocal melodies" make the real ending sound pretty epic.

All that being said, there's no way this song would be able to hold my attention for the whole ~12 minutes. I feel like you've got the gist of structuring down, I was actually impressed with the general flow of the piece, the way themes progressed, etc. However, the riffs themselves weren't interesting enough for me to actually enjoy the song. I feel like if you got a bit more adventurous melodically, I'd enjoy your future pieces more. When did you start writing?

HOly shit, it actually sounds a LOT like Green Carnation.

check out 3:56 of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWpwC1p-Ilw
Last edited by RedDeath9 at Dec 7, 2014,
Quote by RedDeath9
All that being said, there's no way this song would be able to hold my attention for the whole ~12 minutes. I feel like you've got the gist of structuring down, I was actually impressed with the general flow of the piece, the way themes progressed, etc. However, the riffs themselves weren't interesting enough for me to actually enjoy the song. I feel like if you got a bit more adventurous melodically, I'd enjoy your future pieces more. When did you start writing?

Hey thanks for listening. I'll definitely think about maybe cutting out or changing the mid-section with that riff and solo into something more adventurous as you say to make it more interesting.
I've been writing for a while, like 6 or 7 years off and on I'd say. I mean, I just like being creative so even when I was just starting to play guitar I tried to write stuff (although they were atrociously bad lol). I have a good amount of other stuff written so I'll probably post something again soon after I go back and try and apply your crit to this one. This song is a part of a larger concept that I've been working on with like 5 other songs so you might see more of that in the future.

If there's anything specific you want my crit on, let me know

And I see what you're talking about. I'm actually kind of digging this song haha, I'm surprised I've never heard of these guys. Its a pretty simple melody in the first place (my song), and it wouldn't be anything worth listening to without the delay, so I'm not surprised you found something that sounds similar.
My opinions on the GPX file: It's definitely more of a rock song. The intro riff sounds nice. The vocal melody was catchy and, since they're there, I'll say the lyrics were definitely solid. At 57, the solo guitar does some nice things to build on top of everything you had going on there. One little qualm for me would be the drums in that intro part. I know you're going for simplicity, but that basic pattern gets pretty redundant without a little fill or light variation here and there. When the distorted riffs come in, I actually appreciate the slightly irregular drums you've got going. It adds spice to the whole thing.

The 7/8 clean section really got me nodding my head. The next distorted riff was alright, if a bit bland. It made a nice floor for the solo to get moving on. The solo definitely got the job done, but I wasn't a fan of the whole picking a rhythm and using that for a few measures and then going to the next rhythm for a few measures and repeating thing you did. I feel like a solo should be more "free" if that makes sense? I loved the drum part under the sixteenth note section of the solo, though.

The clean guitar with the delay sounds brilliant. I enjoyed 8:10 and how it built up to 8:40, where the harmonies were just glorious. The new riff you introduced a bit after was nice. At measure 326, I really enjoyed how the solo progressed. 329-333 had me feeling emotions. After the solo, the drum beat and the new distorted riff helped everything sound very epic and lively. It was a great climax to the song.

Definitely a solid track. It flowed well and included a good amount of nice ideas. I personally feel there wasn't enough in it to justify the length, though. Like RedDeath9 said, I feel like more melodic ambition would help a ton. I look forward to hearing more!
Last edited by Million Dead at Dec 7, 2014,
Thanks man! I definitely agree with you that I need to add a little variation to the drums in the beginning. Writing drums is definitely one of my weaknesses and sometimes I don't give enough thought to them.
Both you guys have said that the middle part with the riff and solo is a little bland so I've decided I'm gonna take that out and replace it with something a little more melodic and original. I'm writing that right now so hopefully I can update before anyone else listens haha!