So what's the scale length all about?
My current guitar has a scale length of 25.5. I plan on getting one that's 24 5/8. What are the implications?
The main implications are that the frets will be a bit closer together, and strings of the same gauge might feel a bit slacker. Both could make playing easier. Some claim that the tone is also noticeably different for short and long scales, but any effect of this kind is likely to be overwhelmed for other factors in the guitar's construction.
The scale length is the distance between nut and bridge.

Using the same strings and tuning, a shorter scale length will have less string tension, which is usually thought to contribute to a warmer tone. Some may feel that the low end isn't as well defined (swings and roundabouts). The lower tension allows for easier string bending. Longer scale length is believed to create a more defined, fuller tone.

Edit: ^I'd argue that scale length is one of the most important factors in tone.
Last edited by Deliriumbassist at Dec 6, 2014,
If you're gonna play in lower tunings I'd use your longer scale guitar. That's really the only implication I'd be concerned with. It's less than an inch of string shorter than your first guitar so it's not exactly the huge difference some people make it out to be
My Shit:
ESP Eclipse, ESP Horizon III, PRS Mushok Baritone
Laney Ironheart Studio, Blackstar Ht-40
the 24 scale gets tight in the upper frets but easier to play on the lower frets without stretching , shorter scale is easier to do bends , tone is different between the too