When ever I play a note on my guitar it rings out too much (even if I try muting it) so when I play multiple notes it sounds messy. Also when it play some of the higher notes it makes the lower strings ring out. This is only a problem on my guitar with a floyd rose trem. How can I fix this?
Quote by dspellman
You can't fix this; you'll only be able to develop better muting techniques.

What about the problem with the lower strings ringing out when they're not being played?
Other strings will ring out when you're playing something and not muting the other strings. It happens because when the string is vibrating it makes everything else on the guitar vibrate with it, strings included, so unless you stop them by improving your muting they will keep ringing out
Maybe you have to work on your muting technique. But if this happens only on your guitar with flouyd rose, it could also be the springs ringing out. You know, the springs which hold your floyd rose. Try muting them with a piece of rubber or some sponge or something and see if it works.
Quote by ls2014
What about the problem with the lower strings ringing out when they're not being played?

Making sure that the other strings that aren't in use aren't ringing out is something you need to learn to account for in your playing, by learning to mute them as you play.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by JackovSlayer
Maybe you have to work on your muting technique. But if this happens only on your guitar with flouyd rose, it could also be the springs ringing out. You know, the springs which hold your floyd rose. Try muting them with a piece of rubber or some sponge or something and see if it works.

This could be part of the problem too. You can get silent springs that have a rubber coating, also stops people being able to hear the springs stretching and contracting when you use the whammy bar.

The main problem though is muting as others have suggested by the sounds of it.
The springs generally won't manifest as low strings ringing, but if you do have a strange "other" ringing, you can slip pipe cleaners into your springs. There are a number of remedies for spring-ring.

Some bridges transmit string energy through the bridge to the other strings, and that includes hardtail bridges. There IS a bridge (non trem) out there that has individual "pylons" for each string that go all the way to a baseplate on the back of the guitar. It's called the 2TEK bridge, and it's one of the few that does a good job of isolating the string energy from other strings (but it's not a trem bridge). This is the bass version, but the 6-string version is nearly identical:

Last edited by dspellman at Dec 7, 2014,