I just put money down on this guitar because it's only 200 total and the store said it was originally 800,but now I'm kinda regretting it already. I want to play mainly punk rock and I now know this guitar is setup for metal. I guess my question is, am I going to be alright with this choice or should I try for a different guitar? I'm only looking for ibanez by the way.
Any input is appreciated, thank you!
It's a good deal for sure. This guitar has a little longer scale than standard Ibanez, this one is 26.5, usually Ibanez RG is 25.5, but I think you'll be fine.
No shame in trying a different guitar. Deals are one thing and you could totally trade down the line but sound is everything in the end. I mean how many Ibanez they cough out each year it's like buying a honda or some other cheap import car it's expensive at first but then the price drops significantly. Same goes for Dean guitars and I'll take a dean any day.

I found through an MG series marshall (solid state) that ibanez guitars tend to sound thin, lifeless and there was no articulation. Either people really love ibanez or really hate them.. no in between. The only thing going for most of them is their super thin necks if you play 150bpm or faster.

see if there is any guitars you can try with different body woods and without tremolos and see what suits you better. Sometimes its just the amp like a line 6 spider III or IV made even my favorite guitars sound bad.

i dont know though.. punk rock or not it's the player. You pass a blue grass guitarist your Ibanez and see what he can do and then try the same guitar and see how you play it. It'll be totally different. I find Ibanez is more for shredders myself (I've owned over 100 guitars). Me personally I'd recommend Jackson , LTD , Schecter or a BC Rich.
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Dec 8, 2014,
Thanks for the opinions guys! I did play the guitar in the store and I really liked the way it sounded. Just thought it might sound too brutal honestly. But all I could afford was a little solid state peavey amp that was 120$. Do you guys think it's even worth buying an amp like that?
There is no reason why that guitar would not be suitable for both punk and metal. RGD serie is just longer scale which makes it more suitable for tuning down and that is more common in metal and such but there is no reason why you couldnt keep it in standard tuning either. Strings are just more tense compared to normal scale guitar.

What Peavey amp? If its Bandit its fine for both practicing and band playing, and helluva backup amp since its very reliable. If its something small like Peavey Envoy or such then its strictly a practice amp pretty much.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
The guy said peavey 60 or something like that. I kinda rushed through the layaway process cause I can change my mind on what I get
Quote by Tallwood13
I found through an MG series marshall (solid state) that ibanez guitars tend to sound thin, lifeless and there was no articulation.

No shit; you were using an MG.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by skuuuuurt
The guy said peavey 60 or something like that. I kinda rushed through the layaway process cause I can change my mind on what I get

Eh, I can think of any other 60W Peaveys other than Vypyr Tube or 6505 combo but they are tubes and more expensive than 120$ even used. He could have mentioned old Bandit 65? Anyway, brand name alone does not tell us anything if something is worth it or not, need to know what amp model it is or all we can throw around are wild guesses.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
A Vypyr VIP 60 will most likely do anything you'd want it to.

It's a modeling amp, so just take the model of an amp that suits you and start from there, with a rather "flat" EQ (Low, Mid and high at 12 o'clock) and start from there. It's most likely a good place to start and, if you want to, you'll be able to find a tone that suits you (for now, at least)

THe RGD is a good axe, it's "intended" for lower tuning, being tuned a full step down from factory. You might need to retune it to standard if your band plays standard.
The RGD is made for downtuning without needing as heavy of strings to achieve the same tuning. They come standard in D tuning (D-G-C-F-A-D), perfect to just the drop the D down to C. I looked into RGDs because I am an pursuit of a proper Dop A 6 string tuning (I use heavy strings but I can't get proper intonation on a 25.5" neck).

You still got one hell of a deal on that RGD320. The cheapest RGD350 I found on eBay was $220 starting bid + $20 shipping. But I found an RGD 421 and I'm currently waiting on it to be delivered. I found mine on eBay for $450 OBO and settled on $350, but I only had to pay $315 because of a 10% coupon offer through eBay. There is an RGD350 with BK Aftermath pickups for sale on eBay as well but I wasn't sure about it because I highly prefer fixed bridge over tremolos.
Gear:
Ibanez RG2EX1 Gravity Storm(neck)/X2N(bridge) Drop Db
Ibanez S421 Air Norton(neck)/Super Distortion(bridge) Drop D
7th Heaven->ML-2->Dr. Boogie->Zoom G3->GE-7->NS-2->Mute
Line 6 Spider II HD150+foot pedal
Some 4x12 cab

Last edited by FoX KiLLa at Dec 12, 2014,