Page 1 of 2
So I've wanted to visit Europe for a while now. I think that this could actually come to pass this summer. Where should I go? I already know I'm likely to go England, Spain, Italy, and France.

Some pieces of information that'll help: I'll mostly just be seeing the typical tourist attractions, I'm not much of an outdoorsy person. I don't like cities or countrysides, I like places that are somewhere in between, but I'll go if there's something to see or experience.

My history professor last semester said that should someone visit the British Isles, that person has to stop in Ireland and Scotland, but I don't really know what's there for me.
Free Ali
Free Lard
Quote by MinterMan22
how much do you know about getafe?

I read the Wiki page when I was ten like six times.
Free Ali
Free Lard
things to see in england and surrounding area

stone henge - just a bunch of rocks but people seem to like it for some reason
white cliffs of dover - pretty cool if you've never seen a big white cliff before i suppose, you can see them from the ferry to france
london - museums, galleries, general sightseeing
ireland - see that other thread
scotland - probably not worth it unless you have like a few weeks
france - paris, the eiffel tower
spain - getafe
ok don't go to stone henge
dover is cooler than the cliffs if you're into WWII history and stuff
London has a billion stuff to go to so that's alright
Ireland sucks
Scotland sucks if you don't like outdoors or cities
Paris has a billion stuff but also sucks
spain- getafe

there that is my summation of so-cal's post
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
Quote by Baby Joel

dover is cooler than the cliffs if you're into WWII history and stuff

oh yeah i forgot about the castle and the underground hospital
I may have not made this clear, but I'm looking for more places to visit other than those I listed. Thanks for the recommendations thus far.

Yeah I'm not going to see Stone Henge. The bigger mystery is why people go there.

I'm not sure if this Getafe thing is a serious suggestion or another UG joke I don't get because I'm not in on it. We're likely going to spend most of our time in London, so it's convenient for there to be a lot to do there.

I managed to forget that I'm very interested in being immersed in a different (and consequently, interesting) culture. Does anyone have any ideas on something that a 19 year old American citizen born in the Asian pacific area that will give him a new experience? From what I can gleam, Italy and France fit that bill and England is a bit like America except more reserved and less outgoing/friendly, so I'd be surrounded by a bunch of people that are like me so that'd be boring.
Free Ali
Free Lard
Getafe is always serious. Did you know that the coat of arms of Getafe is divided vertically into two equal halves that represent the two most important characteristics of the municipal district? The left half contains a heart in the center of a Latin cross, representing the Sacred Heart of Jesus—a reference to the Cerro de los Ángeles. The right half contains a repeated pattern of airplanes representing the aeronautical tradition of the area and referencing the nearby Air Force Base. The Royal Spanish Crown tops the coat of arms, and symbolizes Getafe's loyalty to the Spanish monarchy.
go to Belgium. Or Prague
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
Scotland is obviously the best part of Britain, Asian tourists come to Edinburgh to see where JK Rowling wrote her books or some shit

We also have pandas
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Quote by Baby Joel
go to Belgium. Or Prague

Thanks, B. Joel, I'll look into what I can do there.
Quote by steve_muse
Scotland is obviously the best part of Britain, Asian tourists come to Edinburgh to see where JK Rowling wrote her books or some shit

My history professor was showing us pictures of him with all of the Potter-related things, but I'm not really that into the Harry Potter franchise. My girlfriend used to be really into it, so she might want to go if we end up going to Scotland. Maybe I'll go looking for the Loch Ness Monster if she chooses to go to Edinburgh.
Free Ali
Free Lard
You don't like cities and you don't like countryside? That's basically all the UK has to offer in tourism. All the historical places of interest are either in the cities or out in the countryside (Stonehenge, Hadrian's wall, various castles.) Places like country estates and castles are pretty inaccessible unless you have a car but intercity and city public transport is great.
If you come to London I recommend visiting the tower of London and doing a jack the ripper walk (I recommend Discovery tours for the walk). In fact a guided tour with a focus on the history of London would probably be a good idea. The museums are fun but if you're limited on time then the above would get the most history bang for the buck. A wander around Camden market would also be quite fun.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Come to Portugal. Great people, fantastic food, gorgeous weather (think California) and plenty of beautiful and interesting small cities to visit.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
UK - London - museums, castles, landmarks and stuff, maybe go see a musical or a play.

Spain - I've always want to go to Barcelona - Nou Camp, big cathedrals, apparently it's really cheap there.

France - Paris for sure - More museums and culture, lots of Landmarks

Italy - I wanna go to both Rome and Venice - Venice because it just looks like a remarkable place and Rome for the history, heard they are both super expensive.

Quote by OddOneOut
. A wander around Camden market would also be quite fun.

ew

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Come to the Netherlands so you can see all the things we are famous for - weed, wooden shoes, euthanasia! Possibilities are endless

I'm not actually sure what we're known for these days. Same old things? Because either we don't have them anymore or everyone else also has them
Quote by ultimate-slash
Ah yes, I think we're still the number 1 exporter of tulips. Go Dutch people!

according to an article I read today, yes you guys make a large amount of money from your tulips, as in, it's one of your most important industries
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
london m8

the art galleries are amazing, Camden is the best place in the country and the comic shops oh lord the comic shops
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
I think the plan is to stay where my girlfriend's family used to live in Belgravia and stay with her grandparents, and I know nothing about the place or where it even is geographically, but I figure I'll defer to her when it comes to getting about in London. I'm terrible at geography and I don't even understand where she said she lives, I used to assume London was a town and I was confused when she said she lived in Belgravia in Westminster in London or some shit.
Quote by OddOneOut
You don't like cities and you don't like countryside? That's basically all the UK has to offer in tourism.

I figured, I can tolerate it if I'm there for something. Thanks for the rest of the suggestions.

Quote by Linkerman
Come to Portugal. Great people, fantastic food, gorgeous weather (think California) and plenty of beautiful and interesting small cities to visit.

I loved California and its weather when I was there. I'll look into this, though I'll have trouble getting about in Portugal unless people there tend to know how to speak English (or Spanish, since it's close enough). I can speak Spanish well and probably know enough Italian and French for a tourist, so Portugal may prove to be difficult.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
UK - London - museums, castles, landmarks and stuff, maybe go see a musical or a play.

Is there something about musicals or plays in the UK that I can't do in America?

Quote by EndTheRapture51
Spain - I've always want to go to Barcelona - Nou Camp, big cathedrals, apparently it's really cheap there.

Spain looks gorgeous, Barcelona is definitely a planned stop. My English teacher in high school told me that she loved the Running of the Bulls when she was there, so I'll see what I can do about watching it.

Quote by EndTheRapture51
France - Paris for sure - More museums and culture, lots of Landmarks

I definitely plan to stop in Paris, no tourist would go to France without stopping in Paris.

Quote by EndTheRapture51
Italy - I wanna go to both Rome and Venice - Venice because it just looks like a remarkable place and Rome for the history, heard they are both super expensive.

My girlfriend's parents offered to pay all expenses, so I'm not too worried about it, they've pretty much given us carte blanche on the trip. Rome and Venice are the reason I want to go to Italy, and to experience Italian culture.
Quote by ultimate-slash
Come to the Netherlands so you can see all the things we are famous for - weed, wooden shoes, euthanasia! Possibilities are endless

I'm not actually sure what we're known for these days. Same old things? Because either we don't have them anymore or everyone else also has them

When I think Netherlands, I think weed and windmills. I'll look into it, but I don't #420blazeit anymore and I was never that interested in it anyway.
Quote by vocoderboy
when in london get an oyster card.

Thanks.
Quote by Banjocal
london m8

the art galleries are amazing, Camden is the best place in the country and the comic shops oh lord the comic shops

Google images suggests that the shops in Camden look way too cramped for my taste, but I might see them should this trip happen. It looks cool enough, but I don't know if I'd even buy anything because from what I can see, it looks like a bunch of clothing shops.
Last edited by chrismendiola at Dec 7, 2014,
Quote by chrismendiola
she lived in Belgravia in Westminster in London or some shit.

can't one of her butlers show you around?
Quote by Baby Joel
go to Belgium. Or Prague

I second this.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Facesitting is a violation of freedom of speech, because how can you speak when you have an ass covering your face?
Just realised the reference in thread title. Nice
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Quote by chrismendiola
I loved California and its weather when I was there. I'll look into this, though I'll have trouble getting about in Portugal unless people there tend to know how to speak English (or Spanish, since it's close enough). I can speak Spanish well and probably know enough Italian and French for a tourist, so Portugal may prove to be difficult.

Most people under 40/50 years old in Portugal can speak English perfectly fine (and lots of older people too).

We can also manage to speak spanish if needed, but since a lot of portuguese people aren't very fond of the spaniards, English is usually preferred.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by So-Cal

Seriously though, why can't they?
Quote by Renka

Quote by So-Cal

Whoops, I didn't realise this would be revealing of her social class. I wish I hadn't said that.
Quote by steve_muse
Just realised the reference in thread title. Nice

(Y)
Quote by slipknot5678
Andalusia is the coolest part of Spain hmu.

Catalonia is not Spain. >_>

If the Google image search results are representative of Andalusia, it doesn't look like my type of place. Neither is a city like Barcelona, but I feel like there's more for me to do that appeals to me in a city setting.

Quote by Linkerman
Most people under 40/50 years old in Portugal can speak English perfectly fine (and lots of older people too).

We can also manage to speak spanish if needed, but since a lot of portuguese people aren't very fond of the spaniards, English is usually preferred.

I'll look into this. If I run into trouble, at least I'd know an attorney in Portugal.
Quote by OddOneOut
Seriously though, why can't they?

She went back to England for the summer, so I don't think we'll need to drag a third wheel with us to show us around.

The bright side is that we won't be bothered about transportation in London.
Quote by chrismendiola
I'll look into this. If I run into trouble, at least I'd know an attorney in Portugal.

Precisely.

And if you come to the north of the country, drop by Amarante so that we can go out for drinks! It's an incredibly beautiful city:

PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
No city, no countryside, wants to be emerged in culture.

Is this not a contradiction?

You also summed up a lot of big cities. In my experience having visited many many places, all the main cities are pretty much a like. Sharing the same culture but with a different topping.

It's just as 'diverse' as a pop artist using a guitar on a track and call it a rock song.

If anything, countryside is where the most weird stuff culture is.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Dec 9, 2014,
Quote by chrismendiola
Whoops, I didn't realise this would be revealing of her social class. I wish I hadn't said that.

(Y)

If the Google image search results are representative of Andalusia, it doesn't look like my type of place. Neither is a city like Barcelona, but I feel like there's more for me to do that appeals to me in a city setting.

She went back to England for the summer, so I don't think we'll need to drag a third wheel with us to show us around.

The bright side is that we won't be bothered about transportation in London.

Pfff with all the traffic you'd be better off with the tube anyway :P
Quote by Renka

Quote by OddOneOut
You don't like cities and you don't like countryside? That's basically all the UK has to offer in tourism. All the historical places of interest are either in the cities or out in the countryside (Stonehenge, Hadrian's wall, various castles.) Places like country estates and castles are pretty inaccessible unless you have a car but intercity and city public transport is great.
If you come to London I recommend visiting the tower of London and doing a jack the ripper walk (I recommend Discovery tours for the walk). In fact a guided tour with a focus on the history of London would probably be a good idea. The museums are fun but if you're limited on time then the above would get the most history bang for the buck. A wander around Camden market would also be quite fun.

I've been to Camden so many times. It's probably my favorite place in england. definitly go there.

Also Amsterdam
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Quote by chrismendiola

Andalusia has cities, just not as famous or 'glamorous' as Madrid or Barcelona. Sevilla has a metro area over 1,000,000, and there are moderately sized cities like Cordoba (a little over 300,000).

The real reason I say Andalusia is the coolest region is just because I love flamenco. But it really is an interesting place with a unique history. Historically, it was the most isolated (and poorest) region of Spain, and as such it has its own identity. So much that is associated with Spain originates in Andalusia (both good and bad things >_> and only recently have been associated with all of Spain. This includes Moorish shit, animal cruelty, and again, flamenco. They're kind of inbetween being 'actual Spain' and a completely distinct entity like Catalonia. Andalusia is known for its agricultural identity (historically one of the most rural regions of Europe) but that does not speak for the whole region and a lot has changed in the past few decades.

At the same time though I've heard the tourism there is mostly just rich old northern Europeans so I would only go if I'm not doing boring tourist shit. It's probably somewhere you have to actually live in to know about the real fun stuff (like every city I've lived in). Or maybe it's just Spain's equivalent to Cornwall except with a couple urban centres. >_> If I wanted to do actually cool tourist shit I'd probably go to Barcelona or Ibiza or something.
camden is shit, it's nearly as bad as leicester square. only people I hear loving that place are people who don't live here.

it's good for bringing tourists to do a little walk around the markets gawking at stuff but all the cool people hang around dalston and shoreditch now. I personally only go to camden if there's a gig on there.

with london you can just do the usual city shit. go to the nice galleries and museums and matinee musicals during the day, do a little walk around the main camden markets then in the night head to shoreditch and hang out in some trendy "event". or go to a really nice restaurant, there are a lot of good places to eat. places like hampstead or highbury are quite nice to have a chill day walking around parks, having really nice lunches, going to evening plays, etc, etc. like with most cities you can do the same sort of thing most places, so you are really just picking the best area to hang-out in. camden's perfect if you like buying overpriced rip-off gear while eating greasy street food and getting offered drugs of questionable quality.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by theguitarist
London is shit, it's nearly as bad as the rest of the country. only people I hear loving that place are people who don't live here.
fixed
Quote by EndTheRapture51
that's true.

tbh I don't even know how we have a tourist industry.

guess it's people obsessed with royalty and other various british tropes I guess.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
well OP doesn't like the countryside presumably because he got hit on the head or something so normally I'd suggest that because our wilderness is very nice

Nottingham is an amazing city too but mostly the centre
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Page 1 of 2