The fingers on my left hand are double jointed and I often find myself struggling with control, usually from my fingers locking up, my tendons having too much slack and, etc etc.

Yes I know there's a thread a few posts below this one dealing with just poor dexterity of the left hand, and it does help a little bit because my left hand isn't as dextrous as my right, but it doesn't really help in other aspects.

Any suggestions on what I might try? Any tips from someone in the same boat? I really want to learn how to play and show my body who's the boss in control of it!
You can try playing as lightly as possible with the fretting hand. Surprising how little downward force is actually needed (depending on string gauge). That should minimise the tendency for joints to give way.

cheers, Jerry
Being double jointed makes no difference to your ability to play the guitar. The problems you're experiencing are the exact same things all guitarists deal with
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Being double jointed makes no difference to your ability to play the guitar. The problems you're experiencing are the exact same things all guitarists deal with

It's unfortunately easy to underestimate physical issues. Absolutely guitarists go through the control issues, but when the hand etc is all working ok, it's usually a matter or developing better coordination. But when there's physical stuff on top, it get's a lot harder. Double-jointedness can create havoc with timing, note choking, unwanted notes ... When I had ulnar nerve damage, I eventually could barely control by 3rd and 4th fingers, no matter what my brain said. It was horrible ... my technique was wrecked for a long time (several years) until I had an operation to release the nerve.