hey guys,

so i was wondering.
i got the dean stealth..
got the dean hardcase with it....

would that hard case be enough for flying with it?
i'd most likely have to check it in coz it seems a bit big
to take as a carry-on.

i had a friend who had a dean ml and the same case..
and he'd mentioned something about flying with it, and the case
had gotten damaged, although the guitar seemed to be fine.

just wondering if i should just get a flight case for it,
got it for 1000 bucks, so dont really wanna take any chances..

can anyone else pitch in on this? has anyone used Dean hardcases
in transit?

cheers!
Which stealth do you have?

A flight case is really nice if you will be traveling often, but not practical for the average musician. regardless of a flight case or not, get insurance on it
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Which stealth do you have?

A flight case is really nice if you will be traveling often, but not practical for the average musician. regardless of a flight case or not, get insurance on it

snakeskin.

makes sense i do travel often... but weight might be a slight issue.
i can get a flight case made, but the guitar + case is already about 12-15kg
a flight case over that would add about at least 5kg over that. so 20kg.
and my allowance is 30kg. (and i got 3 suitcases other than the guitar + a bass! haha)
so im wondering if it the dean hard case would be enough for the flight -- to avoid
any extra weight.

and nice one, i'll look into insurance.. cheers!
My experience says that your case will end up being shredded and your guitar can easily be damaged. I spent the big bucks for Anvil cases long ago (long enough ago that the soft foam component has rotted and been replaced twice) and have never regretted it. A bed of soft and hard foam helps keep shock from being transmitted to the guitar, and it reduces the vibration that you'll get when you fly. A standard hard case will do none of that.

An Anvil-style case will put you over your weight allowance. Carry lighter underwear. In my case, it was far more important to arrive at a gig with a functioning guitar, and much more expensive on so many levels to arrive with one that was not.

A couple of other hints; make sure that you have the clamps that rotate. Simple clasp-type closures will be easily opened by other luggage. Make sure that your clamps (latches) are recessed, and not sticking out where they can be snagged by something. Put duct tape over them nonetheless. If you're getting a new airline-style case done, use a color OTHER than blue or black. Everything is blue or black out there. I've mostly used a light tan for gear, with something (anything) stenciled on it. Never put your band name on your gear. And try not to make it obvious that you're shipping band gear. I actually have one guitar case labeled "Display Racks". My guitar flight cases are bright red fiberglass stuff on the outside; easy to spot and even easier to spot if someone is walking away with one. I carry a length of very heavy chain and a serious padlock. Gear sitting by itself has small padlocks (combination locks are absolutely useless) on the latches, but that chain is looped around the gear, through handles and around something difficult to move (like a pipe). If they're gonna steal the gear, they're going to have to work for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo
Last edited by dspellman at Dec 7, 2014,
Yeah I just checked SKB and Gator and they do have lightweight ATA flight cases, but nothing for the ML style at all.

since your in Europe Id contact some of the bigger stores like Thomann, GuitarGuitar and see if they can find you something made of ABS so you don't get hammered on weight
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'd just do without the axe unless you are a very frequent air traveler and save some dollars and anxiety.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yeah I just checked SKB and Gator and they do have lightweight ATA flight cases, but nothing for the ML style at all.

since your in Europe Id contact some of the bigger stores like Thomann, GuitarGuitar and see if they can find you something made of ABS so you don't get hammered on weight

.. im in India... haha...

might have to do what dspellman said.. get flightcases made...

what about bubble wrapping the shit out of the hard case?
any thoughts on that? would keep the expenses and the weight low
compared to the flight case..
Quote by bubb_tubbs
I'd just do without the axe unless you are a very frequent air traveler and save some dollars and anxiety.

cant... im moving out of here.. so taking everything i own basically.
thats why its a hassle! im selling off my low end stuff.. like the jackson kelly ks30ke
i had for the last 7 years. its hard to let it go, but have to sell it off!
but im keeping this dean and still deciding whether to keep or sell my bass.

im actually thinking if i sell the bass, i can get a soft case for the dean and carry
it with me possibly. like i used to with the kelly.
Last edited by The SoundGuy at Dec 7, 2014,
Quote by The SoundGuy
.. im in India... haha...

might have to do what dspellman said.. get flightcases made...

what about bubble wrapping the shit out of the hard case?
any thoughts on that? would keep the expenses and the weight low
compared to the flight case..

Look in your area for any company that specializes in cases of any type. Most of these will custom make you a case, but it will probably be pretty expensive.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate