Poll: Real amps or emulation in the studio and live.
Poll Options
View poll results: Real amps or emulation in the studio and live.
Real amp - Studio
3 38%
Hardware emulation - Studio
0 0%
Software emulation - Studio
1 13%
Real amp - live
3 38%
Hardware emulation - live
1 13%
Software emulation - live
0 0%
Voters: 8.
*Ignore the poll at the top*

Use this instead: http://www.poll-maker.com/poll188690x66F74300-7
Results: http://www.poll-maker.com/results188690x6A894b14-7

Hey guys,

I have a university assignment that requires me to research whether guitarists/bands prefer to use amps or hardware/software emulations when it comes to recording in the studio and playing live.

Please vote on the poll and then give reasons in the thread for which you prefer and why.
Are the hardware emulations more practical for live and travelling? Or does nothing beat that sound of a head and 4x12?

Does the cost play a factor?

Does the popularity of a product make a difference when making a choice?

The resulting quality, is it worth micing up an amp live if you have access to hardware which is almost guaranteed to sound decent live?

Please only choose one response per situation.

Dave
Last edited by djsdabest at Dec 7, 2014,
Quote by djsdabest

Please vote on the poll and then give reasons in the thread for which you prefer and why.
Are the hardware emulations more practical for live and travelling? Or does nothing beat that sound of a head and 4x12?

Does the cost play a factor?

Does the popularity of a product make a difference when making a choice?

The resulting quality, is it worth micing up an amp live if you have access to hardware which is almost guaranteed to sound decent live?

I've got fifteen (or so) tube amps. I have about half a dozen in the den, but these days they rarely go anywhere. I'm mostly using modelers for live work.
I'll take a real amp over any type of sims/modeling

I use 1x12, 2x12 and 4x12 speaker cabs with my amps

Cost plays a factor, but not 100%. If I like something that much I will save money for it.

100% worth micing a live rig
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
-Are the hardware emulations more practical for live and travelling?
Hell yes.
Though the best compromise is a head + a load box and speaker sim.

-Or does nothing beat that sound of a head and 4x12?
Yes to this also, but if you're playing live nobody's gonna care really, unless you're using an amp with characteristics difficult to model, say a VH4 or an ODS.

-Does the cost play a factor?
Definitely, but an amp sim good enough for serious live work (a kemper or an axe if ya ask me) is gonna cost as much as your average hardware setup.

-Does the popularity of a product make a difference when making a choice?
Nope.

-The resulting quality, is it worth micing up an amp live if you have access to hardware which is almost guaranteed to sound decent live?
Again, not unless you have amps that would sound much different modeled.

Also for your poll...
If ya ask me emulations are either all software ('cause they use software to modify your sound) or all hardware ('cause you still need a computer for plugins).
I'm guessing you mean emulations with dedicated hardware though.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
IMO, you can get some great tones from modellers/emulators, they are much easier to lug around, take up less space, and really they cost about the same (weather you buy a hi-end amp, or modeller/rack unit); But I would never give up my real tube amp for one. I just find that no matter how good the modeller sounds overall, it just doesn't have the same feel/dynamics that you get from a true tube amp. I sort of feel like I've lost my vibe whenever I try playing with modellers
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by Spambot_2

-Or does nothing beat that sound of a head and 4x12?
Yes to this also, but if you're playing live nobody's gonna care really, unless you're using an amp with characteristics difficult to model, say a VH4 or an ODS.

My problem with 4x12s (there are four of them gathering dust in storage atm) is that I got one sound from miking a speaker live. Another sound straight in front of one, and a completely different sound at about 45 degrees off axis from one.

Second problem with a 4x12 is that if I had the thing fairly well cranked with a 100W tube amp, the bottom end disappeared. Turns out it's not enough power to produce bottom end at high volumes, and that the speakers really didn't crank it out, and that the 4x12 size/form factor doesn't allow it.

So I tried a really efficient 2x12 with a ported cabinet tuned to 52Hz and a pair of Delta ProA's. I tried it with a 50W/50W stereo tube power amp, and then I tried it with moah powah from a solid state power amp (ProA's can handle up to 400W). AHA! That worked. At about the same SPL as what I needed from the 4x12, there was a LOT more bottom end. And if I turned it up on end (made a column of two 12" speakers tall), more people got to hear the treble.

Now, I've got a 2x15 cabinet, ported, that has a pair of 15" altec lansings in it. Again, plenty of bottom end if you feed it enough power, but it's just to flippin' big. One of the things I love about it is the mids/HF horn it has -- there's sparkle there and crispness and clarity compared to the 4x12s.

So I added one, and then two horn tweeters to the 2x12 cabinet. Bliss. Eventually, I ended up with two of these cabinets, one about five feet on either side of the drummer, and now I had bottom, top, clarity and sound distribution. Everyone could hear me, whether they really wanted to or not <G>. All of this with four 12" speakers. Just different speakers and not in one cabinet.

One other benefit; I'd been using tube preamps (Mesa Triaxis, Carvin QuadX), and I found that I could now run them into the PA system with far less EQ; I was already using nearly full-range speaker systems and I'd already done the EQ work to get them to sound good.

Thus the demise of the 4x12 in my gear list.
Always an amp.
I don't give a crap about fashion, in fact I'm more likely to buck fashion than follow it.
Cost? Irrelevant, I already own the amps I need.
I was in the studio the other day and they miked up my amp. It was no harder than using a Pod. And considering that they used top flight mikes (Neuman and RCA), better sound.
Live, I am forever kicking Pod's arses (and the other week, an AxeFX) with my RM100 so no contest there either I'm afraid.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
live - real amp no doubt.

recording is a different bird. although I love using a real amp it's often not practical. most of my own recording is done with a POD.
Quote by diabolical
Real amp all around.

+3.1415
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/