What is the appropriate fret hand wrist angle for playing? Should my wrist, where my veins are, be facing straight up towards the ceiling? Or should it be angled more towards the bridge of the guitar? Should it change? If so, when?

I've seen instructional videos where for legato the wrist should be flat like my first example, but for bluesy pentatonic stuff, it's like the second example. What is most efficient?
You'll probably find that the angle in the bluesy pentatonic material is more to do with always being ready to do a bend or have some vibrato going; take a look at the general position of the whole hand and see what's going on with the rest of it, pay attention to the thumb position and so on and try to examine whether they're playing longer legato lines or have more of an emphasis on bending, vibrato, and more compact scale shapes rather than the wider stretches that tend to come with the longer lines.

I would say that if you want a long, flowing legato line then having your wrist more parallel to the neck of the guitar is better, you get more reach with your fingers that way; the more you angle your fingers the less range you can get out of the one hand because your pinky becomes much less relevant to your reach.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Adding to Zaphod's comment, make sure that most of the time you don't have a very bent wrist, in either direction. Ideally you want a fairly straight angle from top side of your forearm across your wrist onto the back of your hand. When you play legato on the bass strings, the wrist has to bend to a degree, but wherever possible, wants to be neutral and relaxed.

cheers, Jerry
if you want to play more bluesy stuff, try to put your left hand thumb over the neck, so your inside of the writs is facing body of your guitar.
on the other hand if your playing some technical runs, scales or something it better to have your writs facing the ceiling. try to keep it as natural for you as possible. try to identify what's the best position for your hand. play with minimum tension.
Quote by JureGolobic
if you want to play more bluesy stuff, try to put your left hand thumb over the neck, so your inside of the writs is facing body of your guitar.
on the other hand if your playing some technical runs, scales or something it better to have your writs facing the ceiling. try to keep it as natural for you as possible. try to identify what's the best position for your hand. play with minimum tension.

Yes to this