I have my Xotic SP in front of my Boss DA-2 in my chain. Interestingly, when the SP is on, it takes away a lot of the distortion from the DA-2. What's the deal here? Should I change their positioning? I like to play with the SP on always, but when I kick on the DA-2 also, it's noticeably cleaner. THen when i turn off the SP, the DA-2 is back to it's normal grind.
Try swapping positions.
Experimentation can be your friend.

Myself, when I run my compressor, its usually the only pedal (besides my MX10 band) that is on.
I only run the compressor clean.
Have you tried turning up the output on the compressor?

It may be that you're actually using it to lower the input to the distortion pedal, which would result in a cleaner sound (much like rolling off the volume on the guitar will clean up a driven tone).
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
^I agree.

When I used to put compressor before the dirt pedal, the distortion would become much gainy, without any change of grind in it. Just boost the volume on your compressor.
Quote by ChemicalFire
You get my first ever lolstack

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
I use a compressor in front of an OD to reduce the touch-sensitivity of the OD, so that the amount of clipping doesn't change so much with varying number of notes played or picking attack. As noted above, it is a question of adjusting the compressor output to drive the OD at the level of clipping you want.
A compressor before the signal makes the distortion more even - you get the same amount of distortion when playing softer and when playing harder.
To solve your problem simply turn up the output gain.

A compressor after the signal makes the volume more even while retaining the distortion more dynamic, and it's really useless in the majority of situation - if you have low gain distortion you probably want dynamics, and if you're playing with a high gain distortion you don't have dynamics anyway.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Pretty much what has been said already, but just to reinforce:

Compression almost always goes before distortion/overdrive/fuzz pedals.
Quote by GaryBillington
Have you tried turning up the output on the compressor?

It may be that you're actually using it to lower the input to the distortion pedal, which would result in a cleaner sound (much like rolling off the volume on the guitar will clean up a driven tone).

yeah

or maybe the compression is set so high that digging in on the guitar is having no effect
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah

or maybe the compression is set so high that digging in on the guitar is having no effect

Probably this. But I love the effect this makes tho.
Quote by ChemicalFire
You get my first ever lolstack

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.