Hi, I'm in the market for a bolt-on SG. I found some Epi SG's like the Special, G-310 and the Junior. I'm planning to mod it because the Epi's aren't the best IMO. I have played the junior and it played pretty nice but the hardware isn't great. I'm planning to put on a roller wrap around bridge, new seymour pup(s), new pots if needed and locking tuners. Hopefully someone can help me out
Well if you're going to replace all of the hardware anyway, I'd focus on finding a nice neck and fretwork at the price you want to pay. . .

Why does it have to be bolt-on? I'm assuming for a lower cost?

You could always look for a ESP LTD Viper as well to expand your options. . .
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
I just prefer bolt ons. I have the G400 but that is my home guitar. I want a fairly cheap guitar to take around but still with that SG sound. So basically I want it to be really solid. No trem, locking tuners, simple controls and a well build wood work.
Quote by arjan2602
I just prefer bolt ons. I have the G400 but that is my home guitar. I want a fairly cheap guitar to take around but still with that SG sound. So basically I want it to be really solid. No trem, locking tuners, simple controls and a well build wood work.

sorry but this doesn't really go hand in hand. just find a used G400. it's not worth dumping a bunch of nice electronics in a cheap guitar. the cheapies are often not made of mahogany (or even anything with a similar tone.) so won't give you what you want anyways
It sounds like you're planning on hundreds of dollars in modifications. Why not try to find something built from the start closer to what you want?

A good Reverend Sensei would probably make you happy. They come with P90s, minHBs and a couple different kinds of regular HBs. While it is a set-neck design, Reverend's set-necks and bolt-ons have nearly identical characteristics and dimensions. As close as can be, IMHO.

Their body wood is korina, and QC is high. I own 4, 3 of which were purchased used, covering 6 years of production.

Buuuuut they're not exactly "cheap" unless you buy used. (And if you do, Reverend's discontinued Daredevil is a similar, double-cut guitar.)

What is your budget?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 8, 2014,
Quote by arjan2602

You're not going to get that on any bolt-on SG. They're all cheap crap and the reason they're all bolt-on in the first place is to cut corners in manufacturing costs. Once you start getting anything of quality, bolt-on goes out of the window on SG's. It's just the way things are.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 8, 2014,
Agreed with everyone else. Don't waste your time on a bolt on SG. If you prefer bolt on just get an MIM standard tele or strat with a humbucker in the bridge. You'll spend the same as an upgraded bolt on SG but you'll have something at least halfway decent.
Well like someone said, i think your best bet is the ESP LTD Viper, the Viper-100 still has a bolt on neck. But its still a pretty low end guitar, so its not that great. I do however find even the low end ltd's nice to play.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
You're not going to get that on any bolt-on SG. They're all cheap crap and the reason they're all bolt-on in the first place is to cut corners in manufacturing costs. Once you start getting anything of quality, bolt-on goes out of the window on SG's. It's just the way things are.

Seconded. The point of the SG is that has that skinny body and almost no transition between the neck and the body, which means NO clunky neck heel. Put a clunky bolt-on there and you've just removed a lot of the reason that you buy an SG in the first place. Putting a bolt neck on an SG is a way of cheapening the construction process, so it's unlikely that you're going to find a premium grade SG with a bolt neck.
Quote by arjan2602

There's an oxymoron at work here -- you want "well build wood work" but "a fairly cheap guitar to take around."

Worth noting that a bolt-neck SG really doesn't have (in my experience) "that SG sound."
And if you're going to be replacing pretty much all the hardware as well, what of an original SG might you be thinking you're retaining?
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

+1
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
EDIT: I would like to mod it over time, I just want a fun project where I can try some mods on. I want to use it on the road when I want to go to friends etc. I just like bolt-ons because I can repair them myself. I want a fairly cheap base (under 250 euros orso, thats 300 USD). I do not mind if the electronics are poorly made but the wood should at least be decent. hopefully this helps you guys a little.
Last edited by arjan2602 at Dec 9, 2014,
Quote by Explorer91
Agreed with everyone else. Don't waste your time on a bolt on SG. If you prefer bolt on just get an MIM standard tele or strat with a humbucker in the bridge. You'll spend the same as an upgraded bolt on SG but you'll have something at least halfway decent.

I'm not really a fan of the narrower fender necks :p
Last edited by arjan2602 at Dec 9, 2014,
I did a little bit of research and I found some guitars that may or may not be nice.
- Squier Bullet HSS, cheap and easy to find parts for.
- Kramer Baretta Special, simple and as it looks doesn't need a lot of modding.
- Squier Fatstrat, is propably quiet nice. Maybe switch out pups?
- Epi SG Special, Needs quiet a bit of work
- LTD Viper 50, looks like a nice guitar but maybe not my thing
- Epi LP Special II, same as the SG
- Hofner Shorty, portable but will propably need tuner and pickup upgrades.
- Ibanez GAX30, gets nice reviews online so might be a great guitar from scratch
- Ibanez GSA60, same as gax30
- Cort M200, cort usually has nice guitar and this one doesn't look bad at all.

Any ideas?

BTW I'm buying from thomann because they ship parts etc fairly cheap to me (the netherlands) and they have lots of stock. I'm doing most mods myself but the electronics I'm getting done by a local guitar builder.

Hope this helps
Quote by arjan2602
I would like to mod it over time, I just want a fun project where I can try some mods on. I want to use it on the road when I want to go to friends etc. I just like bolt-ons because I can repair them myself. I want a fairly cheap base (under 250 euros orso, thats 300 USD) but well made. I do not mind if the electronics are poorly made. hopefully this helps you guys a little.

kind of a contradiction. I want something well made but it has to be cheap. once again look used then. you may want to look for a Vintage VS6 which is a good SG copy (I greatly prefer mine to epiphones). it's not bolt on though.
Quote by monwobobbo
kind of a contradiction. I want something well made but it has to be cheap. once again look used then. you may want to look for a Vintage VS6 which is a good SG copy (I greatly prefer mine to epiphones). it's not bolt on though.

I've seen some of those around, seem like nice axes but if possible I'd like to have an bolt-on. Still a massive thanks.
One way to get a not so expensive SG with a bolt-on neck would be to order the parts from different shops and put the whole thing together yourself. You can get an SG body from der-trashcontainer.de or something close from egsolidbody.fr. As for the neck and hardware parts, you can order a paddle neck on guitarsupplies.nl/ and get the parts there as well or off shops like dekrijgermuziek.nl and gitarre-bestellen.de.