Hi , I was thinking of buying the vypyr tube 60 and I wanted to know what problems might occur with a tube amp (this is going to be my first tube amp) and how to solve them . Any help is much appreciated ( Plus, I've heard that it sounds digital despite of the 6l6 tubes. Is that true ? And also how brutal is the distortion ? \m/ )
Tube amps will go through tubes based on how hard you drive the amp, the model of the tube, the bias and the phase of the moon. You'll put a new tube in your amp and it might last 10 years or 10 days. Always have spares.

Tube amps are fragile (ish). Tubes break, vibration screws them up. After a drop of a tube head, you want to check the transformers. I've had them bend the chassis and be sitting in there at a 30 degree angle. If you gig a lot, you want to make sure that your tubes are fully seated after a trip and before you turn it on. Tube heads are heavier than their solid state counterparts.

The Vypyr is a hybrid amp. There's a solid state preamp mated to a tube power amp. Whatever you think sounds digital comes from the preamp. The distortion is just brutal enough that you should be able to gig for years without anyone realizing that you never learned to play the guitar.
Last edited by dspellman at Dec 8, 2014,
Quote by dspellman
Tube amps will go through tubes based on how hard you drive the amp, the model of the tube, the bias and the phase of the moon. You'll put a new tube in your amp and it might last 10 years or 10 days. Always have spares.

Tube amps are fragile (ish). Tubes break, vibration screws them up. After a drop of a tube head, you want to check the transformers. I've had them bend the chassis and be sitting in there at a 30 degree angle. If you gig a lot, you want to make sure that your tubes are fully seated after a trip and before you turn it on. Tube heads are heavier than their solid state counterparts.

The Vypyr is a hybrid amp. There's a solid state preamp mated to a tube power amp. Whatever you think sounds digital comes from the preamp. The distortion is just brutal enough that you should be able to gig for years without anyone realizing that you never learned to play the guitar.

Thanks. I know from which part the digital sound comes from . But my question was 'Does it sound digital despite of having a tube power amp ? (I'm sorry I didn't clarified it before). And about the distortion where you said 'The distortion is just brutal enough that you should be able to gig for years without anyone realizing that you never learned to play the guitar'. Does that mean that it is not clear ? 'Cause that's what I understood. I saw an in-depth demo of the amp from Nevada music.com but I'm not sure if that's how the amp ACTUALLY sounds like . Have you had any expirience with this amp ? If yes , then will you please tell me how it actually sounds like ? Thanks again for your help
Hey dspellman, I read what you said about checking that the tubes are still fully seated after a trip. I have just finished with a bit of tube rolling and my tubes wiggle out easier now. My tubes also hang upside down like Dracula. Would you recommend transporting my amp laying on it's back ?
Quote by rickyvanh
Hey dspellman, I read what you said about checking that the tubes are still fully seated after a trip. I have just finished with a bit of tube rolling and my tubes wiggle out easier now. My tubes also hang upside down like Dracula. Would you recommend transporting my amp laying on it's back ?

Yes. The speaker should always point upwards when in a car trunk.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by mydoggylio6
Does it sound digital despite of having a tube power amp ?
Now tell me what makes a sound digital in your book.

Alright that's polemic, and the thing does sound pretty good, though still.
Quote by mydoggylio6
The distortion is just brutal enough that you should be able to gig for years without anyone realizing that you never learned to play the guitar'. Does that mean that it is not clear ?
Damn I'm liking the way dspellman puts stuff more and more

It means the distortion is brutal enough for anything.

To further elaborate on his metaphor, it will not be clear because stuff becomes less clear the more you distort it, there's no way around that.
Quote by mydoggylio6
I saw an in-depth demo of the amp from Nevada music.com but I'm not sure if that's how the amp ACTUALLY sounds like . Have you had any expirience with this amp ? If yes , then will you please tell me how it actually sounds like ?
I really don't understand this.

If you don't trust a youtube video from a fairly reputable shop how can you trust (or even understand tangible info from) people on the internet?

If you really wanna be 100% sure, go find one and try it yourself.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
Now tell me what makes a sound digital in your book.

Alright that's polemic, and the thing does sound pretty good, though still.
Damn I'm liking the way dspellman puts stuff more and more

It means the distortion is brutal enough for anything.

To further elaborate on his metaphor, it will not be clear because stuff becomes less clear the more you distort it, there's no way around that.
I really don't understand this.

If you don't trust a youtube video from a fairly reputable shop how can you trust (or even understand tangible info from) people on the internet?

If you really wanna be 100% sure, go find one and try it yourself.

I trusted the video but because the demonstrator was from peavey and the amp is also from peavey , someone said that it may be filtered and so the sound may be as they want it to be . Just sayin'
Quote by mydoggylio6
I trusted the video but because the demonstrator was from peavey and the amp is also from peavey , someone said that it may be filtered and so the sound may be as they want it to be . Just sayin'

If that's your concern (and it's a legitimate one), check out some other youtube videos. As many as you can, in fact.

If you get a chance to try it in person, even better!

I don't know if Peavey does it (I really doubt they do), but I know BOSS will put other effects on some of their videos to make their pedals sound better in their official videos. It's a little dodgy, but that's what's wonderful about the internet: You have options when it comes to equipment demos
Last edited by mjones1992 at Dec 8, 2014,
Vypyr tube amps do have a 12ax7 in the preamp section which helps some with the distortion. as far as sounding digital well not exactly but it doesn't sound as natural as the amps it models either. it's a compromise and one that most people (ie your audience) won't notice or care about. if dialed in correctly you'll get plenty of brutal metal sounds that don't turn to mush.
^ Vypyr tube amps have no 12ax7's in the preamp at all, they have 1 12ax7 in the PI position and that is it. The L6 Spidervalve is the one that has a 12ax7 in the preamp, not the vypyr

The Vypyr tube doesn't sound digital at all.
Wanna know why?
There is no digital modeling going on at all, the Vypyr has all analogue modeling.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Dec 8, 2014,
Quote by Linkerman

Thank you sir
The Vypyr is a solid choice man. I have only played the non-tube version but I thought it sounded great for what it was -- an affordable modeling amp. Great for someone not yet ready to commit to a more dedicated tone via a higher-end tube amp -- or even just a lighter weight, more portable practice amp for someone who has a heavier tube head + cab (I know I've thought about getting a Vypyr a time or two just for that reason). Finally, I've heard the tube version sounds even better than the non-tube version.

As for the brutality of the distortion -- it has 6505, JSX, XXX, Rectifier, Krankenstein, and even Diezel models. I mostly tried the 6505 model to see how it compares to the real thing -- I have to say it does a decent job -- just not quite the real thing. It probably does a better job than any other modeler in that price range of getting a good metal tone. As for that thinly-veiled criticism of "brutality" in amp tone, all I've got to say about that is that some people are just afraid of too much gain, I guess. Perhaps they haven't learned how to control feedback through proper muting -- your guess is as good as mine. Perhaps they're of the outdated mindset that distortion is just there to "cover up" your mistakes.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
^ most amps get to a point where the gain will muddy up the note definition, that is a fact. I have played very few amps that have kept note definition with the gain 3/4 to max. The ones that can do this cost a lot more than a 6505
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^^I agree 100%. Maybe I've just read too many posts lately criticizing high-gain players. There is definitely a point of diminishing returns with gain, but some genres call for quite a bit of it, and I don't think that's wrong. There is also a skill component to sounding good though a lot of gain, after all.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KailM
^^I agree 100%. Maybe I've just read too many posts lately criticizing high-gain players. There is definitely a point of diminishing returns with gain, but some genres call for quite a bit of it, and I don't think that's wrong. There is also a skill component to sounding good though a lot of gain, after all.

Oh I completely agree.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The problem is that many people think they can achieve a multi-tracked studio guitar tone by turning up the gain and it simply doesn't work that way. A lot of things that people assume is loads of gain isn't that at all, it's studio tricks fattening up the sound. If you break it down there is far less gain than it seems to the untrained ear.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
The problem is that many people think they can achieve a multi-tracked studio guitar tone by turning up the gain and it simply doesn't work that way. A lot of things that people assume is loads of gain isn't that at all, it's studio tricks fattening up the sound. If you break it down there is far less gain than it seems to the untrained ear.

a lesson learned when first starting to record. settings I though sounded good when playing sounded liked mushed crap when recorded. I had to back way off the gain and ended up using far less than I would have ever thought about. once recorded the playback sounded more distorted than the signal actually was while retaining note definition etc.
well, dont drop it and change the tubes every so often? really not that much
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by Cathbard

Very true.

Most of the time, those guitar tones are:
-multitracked
-mostly supported by the bass guitar.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by mydoggylio6
Hi , I was thinking of buying the vypyr tube 60 and I wanted to know what problems might occur with a tube amp (this is going to be my first tube amp) and how to solve them . Any help is much appreciated ( Plus, I've heard that it sounds digital despite of the 6l6 tubes. Is that true ? And also how brutal is the distortion ? \m/ )

Most everything has already been posted but I'll leave you with this.

-My Vypyr 60 is pretty rugged.
-There is a certain amount of compression and post EQ type things in the tone.
-You'd have to play one for yourself and
-Here is a quote from the Peavey Vypyr Thread:

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Also - The Vypyr 60 may surprise you as it relates to quality.

This was AcousticMirror's comments on my gut shots.

Originally Posted by AcousticMirror
heh love the tube circuit board for the peavey vypyr.

it's 50 percent stuff that's better then whats in most boutique gear and 50 percent stuff that most builders advertise as the hot shit.

Originally Posted by AcousticMirror
ya if you start from the top down on this

small resistors are probably xicons
yellow tube caps are mallories which is what stateside builders use when they aren't using sozo or orange drops
big pink resistor is either a koa or a panasonic. Koa is more likely.
all the big electro caps are panasonic or IC or nichicon
there are snubber bypasses on all the major power supply nodes.
there's a bunch of small capacitors that are standard on the higher end japanese maxon pedals.
It's all USA or Japan for the most part.

that's a lot better then say like the recent dr z stuff which has been using a ton of samwha and lelon and other korean and chinese shit.

Edit: Oh.....and PS: One half of the 'Amp problem' threads here consist of either preamp tube issues or user error. The Vypyr's preamp is all analog but contains no preamp tubes. The 12AX7 mentioned is a Phase Inverter and is part of the power section (which is lifted almost exactly off of the 6505 power section).

Not trying to swing you any direction, just adding in some stuff I've found.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Dec 10, 2014,
The schematic for the Vyper Tube power amp is as good as identical to the 6505. Not sure if the transformers are identical but I can't see why they'd be different, they're both cheap amps.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
over a one year period (estimated for all kinds of people) you will spend more one your guitar maintenance which would be strings and picks, etc.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Hi

I have the tube 120. Also run it through a valveking 4x12. Cos its a combo I need it higher up to hear it so got the 4x12 on sale for 150quid. As long as you spend the extra on the sanpera pedal they are great. I had an output cap explode on it when I first had it but it was an ex demo one so could have been on for weeks on end. Since that little problem there's been nothing wrong with it at all. Annoying bits....They can crash or freeze occasionally if you're dancing on the sanpera too much. Also The patch saving on the sanpera is stupid. The switches are release activated, so they change the patch when you release the button, unfortunately if you're anticipating kicking in your killer lead tone and press the patch for that for more that a second it will go into save mode. Nothing will change when you release your switch, so you stamp on the damned thing again and hey presto.... you have over written your preset with the one you were just using. That really is a bit bollocks and Peavey should have sorted it in the firmware updates but never did. saying that, this is still my No1 stack and probably the best hybrid gear I have ever owned. I have tried other line 6 gear etc like hd500 and pods etc and always go back to the vyper. Also. It's f*%king loud.
Quote by Linkerman

That's a good idea for the speaker's voice coil, but doesn't help the tubes all that much. It's still a good idea to check them after transport and before turning it on.
Quote by dspellman
That's a good idea for the speaker's voice coil, but doesn't help the tubes all that much. It's still a good idea to check them after transport and before turning it on.

Good info. Thank you