I usually put the thick end of the string in my floyd rose so it doesn't slip out of the bridge
Could that kill my sustain ?
I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Are you saying that you put the ball end of the strings into the Floyd? Typically you just clip the ball off or feed the string in from the other side.
Last edited by MoJo-EaTeR at Dec 8, 2014,
No.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Are you talking about this end?

Because thats the only way the strings will stay in the bridge. The other way would just slip out. So no, it shouldn't kill your sustain, because 100% of everyone does it that way, and their guitars have sustain.

I'm kinda hoping you aren't being serious.
Quote by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?

Quote by Hydra150
[IMG]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/three-rams-steve-mckinzie.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Aren't you supposed to clip the ball end off the string so it doesn't get stuck in the Floyd? The answer is no, it won't do jack sh*t for sustain. But clip your ball ends. The floyd locks down on the string so you don't need to feel the ball end in there. I've even seen people put the ball end up at the tuning machines.

(Invalid img)
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by Danjo's Guitar
Are you talking about this end?

Because thats the only way the strings will stay in the bridge. The other way would just slip out. So no, it shouldn't kill your sustain, because 100% of everyone does it that way, and their guitars have sustain.

I'm kinda hoping you aren't being serious.

He said he is using a Floyd Rose. Floyd's don't require the ball to hold the string in place.
Defiantly clip the ball off first. The first time I changed the strings on my strat (used guitar) I spent about an extra 30mins fighting with it to get the ball end strings outta the floating bridge.

I use to always completely clip that wrapped section off, but I find a get better grip in the bridge if I just snip the ball off, and leave the thicker wound part there.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Doesnt it depend on the type of floyd? I think some ibanez bridges are made so that you can thread the string through it, without having to clip the ball ends away.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
single locking floyds have the string fed through the bridge you leave the ball on. that style isn't very popular and doesn't work as well as the double locking which normally has the ball end cut off.

leaving the ball on and putting that in the clamp seems like it would be hard and not as stable as just the string. the other thing is that you are way more likely to have the end pull apart doing that. last thing is doing that may impact the string going over the saddle which may impact sustain as well as causing other issues. overall a bad idea.
People , ofcourse i don't keep the ball itself I'm talking about the thick part of the string itself
Amd from your answers i guess it doesn't affect sustain thank you !
You're still clipping the ball itself off though right? I don't see how you couldn't. Do you mean you're leaving the extra winding on the top 3 strings? I don't even string my Floyd like that. I leave the ball end at the tuning pegs so everything is nice and clean up on the headstock.
Last edited by Explorer91 at Dec 8, 2014,
I don't think it would even be possible to fit the ball end into the locking part of the bridge anyways...but I usually clip the winding off too, I don't see why it would have any effect on the sustain if you didn't though.
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
unless he's stringing the guitar backwards like the cool kids do. I can't imagine much of a difference honestly. But at the same time how much sustain do we need. Tone and volume are my #1 concerns other than accentuation on certain things like more bass or treble.

if you want more sustain
get a brass big block - my guitar sounds fixed bridge because of it
a new bridge like the original 1000 or the german schaller floyd rose
heavier strings = more volume
a properly set up guitar
the pickups not too close to the strings but you sacrifice volume in the pickups
I never noticed much of a difference.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by DeathmoniC
People , ofcourse i don't keep the ball itself I'm talking about the thick part of the string itself
Amd from your answers i guess it doesn't affect sustain thank you !

I don't know what you mean with "the thick part of the string". A string is one thickness.

Maybe you could post a picture of what you are talking about?

Quote by TheStig1214
Aren't you supposed to clip the ball end off the string so it doesn't get stuck in the Floyd? The answer is no, it won't do jack sh*t for sustain. But clip your ball ends. The floyd locks down on the string so you don't need to feel the ball end in there. I've even seen people put the ball end up at the tuning machines.

I also do this. That way I don't need to worry about the sharp string edges.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
He is talking about cutting the ball, but not all of the extra winding at the ball end, the wrap that secures the ball which makes the string thicker.

No it won't have either a positive or negative effect on sustain.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Dec 14, 2014,
Just make sure that you don't have the extra thick wrap at the very end of the string hanging out over the saddle. When you clip the ball end off, cut off enough so that the string is at its regular thickness all the way from the nut to the saddle. If that little bit of extra thick wrap towards the ball end is hanging over the saddle, it can cause intonation problems.

Also, just to throw it out there, I just restrung a guitar for a customer the other day, and he's missing the little block from the lowest string holder of his floyd. Without that, he actually leaves the ball end on the string, shoves it down in there, and tightens the screw right onto the ball. It seems to work, but it most definitely not ideal.