I want to get a new strat, my budget is no more than $400. I like to play blues like SRV and alt rock like the Smashing Pumpkins. I currently have a Peavey VK 112, a black with a white pickguard mexican 96 strat with a rosewood neck, a big muff. The reason why I want a new strat is because I would like one for E tuning and one for E flat. I play in both tunings a lot so it would be less of a hassle. Also the one I'm interested in looks cool with a maple neck and sunburst . I live in minnesota twin cities area

My skill level is good I guess, I can play an average pumpkins song and a lot of complicated solos/harder clean songs. Skill level is a hard question to answer because I can learn most songs if I have tabs and some time to learn it. Also, my skill level depends if I'm standing up or sitting down, I do way better sitting down (which is a huge downfall and sucks). all of my gear is used, so yes I am willing to buy used.

I was looking at a used Mexican strat, 2007 (is that year good?) with a maple neck. It is $380. I have some questions. Does it look real? Is it worth the price? What do you think, should I get it? http://imgur.com/a/EyUdz . This is at a used music store. Thanks!
Quote by lolmnt
I love to have my vag pounded by guys who make lame threads on the internet!

Quote by snipelfritz
This thread topic is gold. I've been on this website for 8 years and I've never come up with anything like this. So yeah. Great job TS[457undead].
New- Squier Classic Vibe/VM strat or Tele

Used- MiM fender

Honestly I've had three MiM Fenders and I've sold em all cause I like my VM strat more, so it's just preference.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Also check out G&L Tribute models. Lots of good ones out there, comparably priced to MiM Fenders.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Aren't the G&Ls teles though? also, what about the guitar/questions I mentioned?
Quote by lolmnt

Quote by snipelfritz
This thread topic is gold. I've been on this website for 8 years and I've never come up with anything like this. So yeah. Great job TS[457undead].
Used recent MiM Strats under $370 is a good deal. I just sold one of mine for $350, in fantastic condition. The recent MiM Strats are made to same specs/tolerances of the US Fender products and across the board they rate very well. Do you want all single coils? I ask because I had the HSS (Humbucker Brider, Single middle, Single Neck) with the 5 way selector and that is a crazy versatile guitar which will fit better for the alternative stuff you're playing while still handling the blues/rock.
Jackson: DKMG w/Zakk Wylde EMGs
Fender: Fat Strat HSS
Epiphone: Les Paul Custom w/SD Pickups
Dean: Performer E Acoustic/Electric
Vox: DA5
Vox JamVox
Digitech: GNX4 Workstation
Digitech: EX-7 Distortion Factory
Boss DR-880
MAudio Bx5a Deluxe
Quote by 457undead
Aren't the G&Ls teles though? also, what about the guitar/questions I mentioned?

The price on the one you found looks fair.

As for G&L, they make Teleclones and Stratclones, and others besides.

Here's a perfectly good example of a used Strat-style HSS G&L Tribute in your price range:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-L-Tribute-Legacy-HB-Black-Like-New-w-Stand-Bag-/251745858902?ssPageName=ADME:SS:SS:US:3160
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by Dazzl1113
Used recent MiM Strats under $370 is a good deal. I just sold one of mine for $350, in fantastic condition. The recent MiM Strats are made to same specs/tolerances of the US Fender products and across the board they rate very well. Do you want all single coils? I ask because I had the HSS (Humbucker Brider, Single middle, Single Neck) with the 5 way selector and that is a crazy versatile guitar which will fit better for the alternative stuff you're playing while still handling the blues/rock.

2007 is a recent model right? It looks real/in good condition also? Should I go ahead and get it? Instead of a humbucker I'm going to get a lace sensor pickup
Quote by lolmnt

Quote by snipelfritz
Yes, anything after 2006. You'll dig it.
Jackson: DKMG w/Zakk Wylde EMGs
Fender: Fat Strat HSS
Epiphone: Les Paul Custom w/SD Pickups
Dean: Performer E Acoustic/Electric
Vox: DA5
Vox JamVox
Digitech: GNX4 Workstation
Digitech: EX-7 Distortion Factory
Boss DR-880
MAudio Bx5a Deluxe
Classic Vibes and MiM strats are your best bet.
I'm doing the same thing as you, but with a Highway One in Eb with a rosewood neck and a MIA with a maple neck in standard. It's really good to have two Strats for two very different purposes.
that strat looks fine no reason to believe it's a fake. G&L is a good guitar but won't necessarily give you the classic fender sound.
Quote by Dazzl1113
Yes, anything after 2006. You'll dig it.

whats bad about before 2006?
Quote by lolmnt

Quote by snipelfritz
Quote by 457undead
whats bad about before 2006?

nothing wrong with them just that there were some improved specs after 2006.
Quote by 457undead
I want to get a new strat, my budget is no more than $400. I like to play blues like SRV and alt rock like the Smashing Pumpkins. I currently have a Peavey VK 112, a black with a white pickguard mexican 96 strat with a rosewood neck, a big muff. The reason why I want a new strat is because I would like one for E tuning and one for E flat. I play in both tunings a lot so it would be less of a hassle. Also the one I'm interested in looks cool with a maple neck and sunburst . I live in minnesota twin cities area

I have relatives from Faribault to Bemidji; my Dad was the ninth child in a big Swedish farm family in Northfield.

Having a bunch of guitars sitting around, each one tuned to a different pitch (Lord Help You if you should decide you want to play Goo-Goo Dolls stuff) is so '90's. There's technology out there now!

Outside of the box...you might want to look around for a used Variax JTV-69. All by itself, it's a really good strat clone. But in addition to the usual, it also has the Variax electronics built in (check them out on the LIne 6 site). One of the features is that you can use pitch replacement to downtune without ever changing the string tension. What comes out of the amp (or into the headphones) is Eb, even if the guitar itself is tuned to E. The Variax is especially cool if you want to try open tunings like Blues G, etc., or try a little slide in Open G. Again, the actual string tension never changes, but what comes out of the amp is a whole different story.

Another possibility: New Gibsons come with the MinETune, which is an electronic gearbox that mounts on the headstock, replaces the tuners, and auto-tunes your guitar for you. The other thing it can do is replace the standard tuning with some alternate tunings (within limitations). Here, the string tension DOES change, but if you stay away from drastic alternate tunings, you're okay. Obviously the Gibson version isn't going to fit your strat, but you can order a strat version directly from the company that makes them (www.tronical.com).

And here's one other thing. If you're playing along with an MP3, you can run a piece of software on your computer that can change the pitch (move your Eb songs up to an E) without changing the speed. Same piece of software can usually change the speed without changing the pitch, too. So if you needed to slow down a song to pick out a lead, you could do that and the song would stay in the original pitch.

Quote by 457undead
Also, my skill level depends if I'm standing up or sitting down, I do way better sitting down (which is a huge downfall and sucks). all of my gear is used, so yes I am willing to buy used.

Take a look at where your guitar is when you're standing. Chances are you've got it slung low to look cool, and your fretting-hand wrist is bent in a whole different direction than when you have the guitar in a seated position. At the risk of looking uncool, hike the guitar up, take it OFF the horizontal and pull the headstock up so that you have the guitar at a 45 degree angle. You may feel that looks hokey, but my bet is that you can play a lot better that way, and that you'll approach your seated speed and accuracy all of a sudden. If that's true, then you're probably going to end up doing what a lot of rock guitarists do. You'll sling the guitar low to look cool when you're playing rhythm chords, then put a foot up on a wedge monitor, rest the guitar on a thigh and bring the neck up so that you have your hands in a better position to solo. Meanwhile, for practice, keep the guitar up high and tilted and you'll play a whole lot better.

Check #10: http://www.guitarplayer.com/artists/1026/99-ways-to-play-better-and-sound-better-right-now/13645
Quote by dspellman

Take a look at where your guitar is when you're standing. Chances are you've got it slung low to look cool, and your fretting-hand wrist is bent in a whole different direction than when you have the guitar in a seated position. At the risk of looking uncool, hike the guitar up, take it OFF the horizontal and pull the headstock up so that you have the guitar at a 45 degree angle. You may feel that looks hokey, but my bet is that you can play a lot better that way, and that you'll approach your seated speed and accuracy all of a sudden. If that's true, then you're probably going to end up doing what a lot of rock guitarists do. You'll sling the guitar low to look cool when you're playing rhythm chords, then put a foot up on a wedge monitor, rest the guitar on a thigh and bring the neck up so that you have your hands in a better position to solo. Meanwhile, for practice, keep the guitar up high and tilted and you'll play a whole lot better.

Check #10: http://www.guitarplayer.com/artists/1026/99-ways-to-play-better-and-sound-better-right-now/13645

Exhibit #1: Tom Morello

Quote by dspellman

And here's one other thing. If you're playing along with an MP3, you can run a piece of software on your computer that can change the pitch (move your Eb songs up to an E) without changing the speed. Same piece of software can usually change the speed without changing the pitch, too. So if you needed to slow down a song to pick out a lead, you could do that and the song would stay in the original pitch.

Can you recommend a certain one?
Quote by monwobobbo

nothing wrong with them just that there were some improved specs after 2006.

What about the year 2006? Does that year have the upgrades? Somebody bought the one I was looking at but I found one made in 2006 thankfully.
Quote by lolmnt

Quote by snipelfritz
Quote by 457undead
Can you recommend a certain one?

What about the year 2006? Does that year have the upgrades? Somebody bought the one I was looking at but I found one made in 2006 thankfully.

not sure but I don't think so. better trem block and slightly different saddles were the improvements. neither is a major big deal and both can be replaced easy enough.
Quote by monwobobbo
not sure but I don't think so. better trem block and slightly different saddles were the improvements. neither is a major big deal and both can be replaced easy enough.

hey thanks for your help. i ended up buying a 2006 and now im waiting for it in the mail. i did some research and found that in fact 2006 was the first year they started the upgrades, so 2006 does have them.
Quote by lolmnt

Quote by snipelfritz
Quote by 457undead
hey thanks for your help. i ended up buying a 2006 and now im waiting for it in the mail. i did some research and found that in fact 2006 was the first year they started the upgrades, so 2006 does have them.

good for you, enjoy
Don't forget to come back and share pix!