I apologize in advance if this is not the right place to post these questions. I am an infrequent poster.

I am curious what type of setup everyone thinks Slash is using to play these songs:

(And we can bypass the part on a Les Paul/Marshall combo... I'm mostly wondering about tone controls/pedals/effects/etc..)

1. Heavy crunchy sound on Bad Obsession.

2. Aint It Fun

3. Civil War (aside from the Wah pedal)

How much overdrive vs. other pedal effects... and where do you think the tone/volume controls are set?
Last edited by RNFNRQueen at Dec 8, 2014,
I can't tell you exactly, but a Les Paul through a Marshall amp will get you 90% there. Lots of great tone started there.
I'm honestly not even kidding, 98% of Slash's tone is basically direct to amp.
In Ain't It Fun, I suspect he's running a gate > a compressor > amp
In Bad Obsession he played a Travis Bean 1000 for the slide parts, it's 50/50 as to whether he used that or his Holy Grail LP for the rest, the majority was probably played by Izzy since a) it sounds like Izzy and b) the liner notes identify Slash as 'slide guitar/lead guitar'
Civil War - also pretty much meat and potatos Slash stuff.

The thing about Slash is that like most of the rock n' roll greats that preceded him, when his tone was too gainy he rolled back the volume knob. He's ****ing with his tone knob pretty constantly during solos, when he wants to sustain a note he widens his vibrato, and when he does use effects it's not to colour his tone but to create a totally different sound - wah, talkbox, etc. The sound is in the fingers.

Slash uses a Roland JC120 to overdub cleans so that probably makes an appearance in Civil War at some point, but at the time of G n' R it's pretty much straight into the amp.
just a bit of info on some site, seems to be accurate from what Ive read in the past

Use Your Illusion 1 & 2 (1991 with Guns N' Roses)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1959 replica (main recording guitar)
Gibson Les Paul Goldtop 1956 (rhythm) (Estranged)
Gibson Flying V 1959 (lead) (Live And Let Die / Knockin' On Heaven's Door)
Gibson Explorer 1958 (lead) (Locomotive)
Travis Bean 1000 (slide) (Bad Obsession / The Garden)
Fender Stratocaster 1965 (lead) (Yesterdays / So Fine)
Fender Bass 6-strings 1965 (rhythm) (Right Next Door To Hell)
B.C. Rich Mockingbird (lead) (You Could Be Mine)
Marshall JCM 800 2203 S.I.R. stock #34 modded by Frank Levi (for distorted sounds)
Roland JC-120 Jazz Chorus (for clean sounds)
Mesa Boogie Mark III (for feedback sounds)

I also remember reading they built a custom enclosure around the amp so good luck replicating that.
get any mahogany bodied , maple topped les paul. It doesn't have to be anything remotely close to Gibson. A les pauls a les paul. The thicker bodied les pauls sound much better to my ears.

ernie ball 11-49 power slinky strings - he's liking cobalts by Ernie ball but we're after classic tones.

set neck construction, on the guitar
maple necks (not fretboards) for brighter stuff like sweet child o'mine
Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro II pickups (NOT the signature ones, he got those recently)
mahogany necks for darker and heavier stuff
the Marshalls and so forth have been described
pedals and amp settings matter big time too. A trip to wikipedia or a gear website will tell you lots of useful stuff.

I had a slash impersonator try out one of my bc riches and it was nowhere near a les paul and he still sounded like slash. So it's as much the player as it is the gear.

but guitar processors go a long way for guitarists on a budget. Line 6 pod X3 or HD should have lots of good slash tones to work with.
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Dec 9, 2014,
Quote by RNFNRQueen
I apologize in advance if this is not the right place to post these questions. I am an infrequent poster.

I am curious what type of setup everyone thinks Slash is using to play these songs:

(And we can bypass the part on a Les Paul/Marshall combo... I'm mostly wondering about tone controls/pedals/effects/etc..)

1. Heavy crunchy sound on Bad Obsession.

2. Aint It Fun

3. Civil War (aside from the Wah pedal)

How much overdrive vs. other pedal effects... and where do you think the tone/volume controls are set?

you have left out some vital info for starters. no advice can be given without knowing what you are actually working with. how Slash does it means nothing unless you have the same gear which I'm guessing you don't. what he uses really isn't a secret so all that is left really is for you to experiment. keep in mind that album tracks often feature layered guitars so can't really be duplicated exactly with one.
Thanks to everyone who commented. This was more of a general "what are your ideas" convo, and I realize there is a lot to be assumed in terms of basic setup and playing ability, and also of course the exact particulars of where equipment is located, humidity of the room, etc. in the recording studio when those songs were put to track, so.... I am very aware that exact tone may never be 'replicated' to that extent.

There are just certain songs that sound like more is going on than basic amp overdrive, particularly on Bad Obsession, which is why I was asking.

Slash keeps it pretty simple, as some of you noted, though I know he is generally a fan of a basic delay and analog chorus.

I love that heavy tone though - not metal heavy - but crunchy Les Paul heavy... ooh yeah!
Ya hes one of my fav players. i love the simplicity of his gear...Les Paul+Marshall+1 or 2 pedals=amazing tone. Sometimes less really is more and tone is all in your fingers first and foremost
David Gilmour once commented in an interview that he could plug a strat into just about any tube amp and with a decent overdrive and echo he could sound like himself.

The same can be said about any guitar player. I played a friend's Yamaha SG2000 through a Peavey Butcher with nothing but an echo set to flanger, which was very rarely used, and a volume pedal, and I sounded like me. He sounded like himself on the exact same rig. I've picked up lots of peoples' acoustic guitars and sounded like me. I have little doubt Slash could pick up my guitar, plugged into my rig, and sound like Slash. I've seen Van Wilks play an autographed Telecaster used in Houston's Rock and Roll Auction and he sounded like himself.

To get as close as possible to Slash, plug any single or dual humbucker guitar into a good tube based Marshall, add a good overdrive pedal and I'll bet you can get pretty close. Les Paul, SG, Explorer, Firebird, Melody Maker...You could probably get close with a Strat too...

But you'll never exactly duplicate it without his fingers...I can come very close to the sound of several guitar players. Clapton, Page, Gilmour, Jeff Heally, Duanne Allman, several early Joe Walsh tunes (I have the same Fender Champ he used to record them) ...but I still mostly sound like me because I don't have their fingers...I can come very close to their styles, and in some cases the tone, but not exactly...
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Last edited by Paleo Pete at Dec 18, 2014,