I managed to convince my family to get me an acoustic guitar for christmas, and I just need to decide what to get. I'm on a budget, so something under 200 euros new would be great. I'm not abeginner at all, but I really cant afford anything better than that. An electroacoustic system would be useful, and I'd like it to have a decent tone. I just need guidance on what brands to avoid and such. I'll probably play something along the lines of Porcupine Tree.

I also thought of getting heavier strings for it, since I want to take the hard way and utilize the acoustic for more efficient practice. What gauge would you recommend? I was thinking of maybe as heavy as 12's, but that might be overdoing it? And is there anything I have to mind setup wise? Thanks.
Last edited by guitar/bass95 at Dec 9, 2014,
I am a beginner, 7months playing. I bought a Yamaha FG700MS after reading several reviews on line. It is a nice guitar, my guitar teacher also approves of my choice. There are no electrics, but if you can live without electrics you could do a lot worse. Read the reviews go and try it and see what you think. I'm in England and paid £180
You can always add the electronics later if you want. Lots of modification, though.
I never subscribed to the "heavier strings for more effective practice" nonsense. If the strings are too heavy when you are starting out, it may turn you off of playing all together. There's no reason to force strings that are heavier than you're comfortable with.

Sorry I don't have a good recommendation for you, I live in the states. It probably wouldn't help much. Yamahas are usually pretty good, though.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by guitar/bass95
I managed to convince my family to get me an acoustic guitar for christmas, and I just need to decide what to get. I'm on a budget, so something under 200 euros new would be great. I'm not abeginner at all, but I really cant afford anything better than that. An electroacoustic system would be useful, and I'd like it to have a decent tone. I just need guidance on what brands to avoid and such. I'll probably play something along the lines of Porcupine Tree.

I also thought of getting heavier strings for it, since I want to take the hard way and utilize the acoustic for more efficient practice. What gauge would you recommend? I was thinking of maybe as heavy as 12's, but that might be overdoing it? And is there anything I have to mind setup wise? Thanks.

Good for you for venturing into acoustic guitars! I think is good to practice on both acoustic and electric. Using an acoustic guitar will likely help you with your electric playing, but they are two different instruments. There are some really good acoustic players that cannot play electric guitar well.

I think Yamaha makes good low end acoustic guitars so I would go play some of those. In regards to string choices, 12s are a good starting point... Many manufacturers classify 12's as "Light" gauge though.
Quote by ryanbwags
You can always add the electronics later if you want. Lots of modification, though.
I never subscribed to the "heavier strings for more effective practice" nonsense. If the strings are too heavy when you are starting out, it may turn you off of playing all together. There's no reason to force strings that are heavier than you're comfortable with.

Sorry I don't have a good recommendation for you, I live in the states. It probably wouldn't help much. Yamahas are usually pretty good, though.

I'm not a beginner at all, and I play a lot of acoustic since my dad and my girlfriend both own one. Nothing will turn me off anymore, I practically plan my life around guitar playing and music nowadays.

Quote by apbluegrass
Good for you for venturing into acoustic guitars! I think is good to practice on both acoustic and electric. Using an acoustic guitar will likely help you with your electric playing, but they are two different instruments. There are some really good acoustic players that cannot play electric guitar well.

I think Yamaha makes good low end acoustic guitars so I would go play some of those. In regards to string choices, 12s are a good starting point... Many manufacturers classify 12's as "Light" gauge though.

Yup, I made a slight typo in the OP since I was thinking in electric guitar gauges, my bad. Yamaha seems to be a popular option, how about fender? Their CD60 all mahogany guitars are gorgeous, and well, the looks do matter
Quote by guitar/bass95
I'm not a beginner at all, and I play a lot of acoustic since my dad and my girlfriend both own one. Nothing will turn me off anymore, I practically plan my life around guitar playing and music nowadays.

Gotcha.
I still say play strings that are comfortable. You're not lifting weights. You're having fun.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by guitar/bass95
Yamaha seems to be a popular option, how about fender? Their CD60 all mahogany guitars are gorgeous, and well, the looks do matter

Hmm... I am not sure about fender. I would give the sticky at the top of this acoustic sub forum a read through (https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1233360). That thread does a good job comparing brands and makes some recommendations within your price range.

Cheers!
Quote by ryanbwags
Gotcha.
I still say play strings that are comfortable. You're not lifting weights. You're having fun.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks for the input.

Quote by apbluegrass
Hmm... I am not sure about fender. I would give the sticky at the top of this acoustic sub forum a read through (https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1233360). That thread does a good job comparing brands and makes some recommendations within your price range.

Cheers!

Okay, I've read a lot of great reviews though, and I've had some good experiences with Fenders in the past. Point acknowledged though Thanks for the sticky link.
Quote by guitar/bass95
Okay, I've read a lot of great reviews though, and I've had some good experiences with Fenders in the past. Point acknowledged though Thanks for the sticky link.

Haha, I wasn't trying to discredit your thread by referring you to the sticky. I just noticed that thread had a write up on fender acoustics that would do a better job answering than I could. Good luck on your journey!
the yamaha GF700 has a solid top - the fender CD-60 is all laminate, which means less resonance, less clarity of tone and less volume. the fender CD-140 has a solid top, but it costs more. i find most yamahas are a bit higher quality than fenders, but fenders can be okay, too. and i don't care for the yamaha APX series - their thinner body makes for a thinner tone.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!