Hey there, I come from an all acoustic background, and want to venture into the electric field. First guitars, anyone? I've thought about a Epiphone explorer. I've thought about a low end LTD. I've thought about Squires. Still haven't decided on one. I want to end up paying around 300 for guitar, amps, cables, ect. I'm a teen, and have like 135 bucks saved.
On impulse, I want to suggest a used Yamaha Pacifica. What exactly are you looking for? Something versatile or simple and straightforward? What kind of music do you like?
$300 for everything is going to be a tall order. Epiphone explorers are usually that much used. Won't leave anything for your amp.
The Yamaha mentioned above is a good idea. A Epiphone Les Paul special II would be good, too. That won't leave much for an amp, but it leaves enough for a decent USB interface to plug into the computer and use amp sim software.
Something like this.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/peavey-xport-usb-guitar-interface

Whatever you do, don't go for one of those "kits" with the guitar and amp and cable etc that you see everywhere this time of year. They aren't worth it.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by Jamesplaysbass
Hey there, I come from an all acoustic background, and want to venture into the electric field. First guitars, anyone? I've thought about a Epiphone explorer. I've thought about a low end LTD. I've thought about Squires. Still haven't decided on one. I want to end up paying around 300 for guitar, amps, cables, ect. I'm a teen, and have like 135 bucks saved.

This will be hard to hear: you really need to save more and increase your budget.

Cheap gear is usually cheap for a reason, and the worst of it can actually hinder your efforts to play or fall apart. My first acoustic only lasted @9 months before being so messed up it was unplayable. Some cheap guitars are uncomfortable to play. Some don't hold tune. Some warp and twist, or literally fall apart. (No, I am not being sloppy with the use of the word "literally".) Simply put, saving up for better gear now will save you money and grief.

For @$250, you start to find quality used instruments like a Yamaha Pacifica, a Mexican Strat or something like these G&L Tributes:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-L-Tribute-Legacy-HB-Black-Like-New-w-Stand-Bag-/251745858902?ssPageName=ADME:SS:SS:US:3160

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-G-L-G-L-GL-Fiorano-GTS-Electric-Guitar-in-Charcoal-Flame-Finish-/111538715026?pt=Guitar&hash=item19f839b992

Then you pair that with something like a small practice amp for the same price, maybe score a pedal or 2.

Or you can do what I did when I transitioned: get a portable digital modeler. For @$99-300, you can get something like a Korg Pandora, Tascam GT-R1, Line6 Pod or Boss DR. Those are all portable devices that have common features like a metronome, tuner, drum beat sims, amp sims, pedal sims and some kind of recording capacity and/or computer interface, all in something that will fit in a gig bag or guitar case. You'll need to buy some headphones, though.

Yeah, it sounds like a lot of money, and it is. The thing is, though, if you are patient and save up your money to do it this way, you'll have gear that won't hinder your learning efforts due to being uncomfortable, not holding tune, sounding crappy or simply falling apart. You buy cheap, and months later, you're shopping for replacements.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Judas!

*cough* um, I mean... yeah, used G&L or Fenders are a great place to start. They can often be had for $300 and under.

(What else was I supposed to recommend!?)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Still in the market for one, and more saving is needed b/c I just spend some bucks on a bass..... More help is appreciated
Well, besides budgetary advice, what kind of help do you need?

Here's what I recommend to beginners, a Fender Squire Strat or Tele @ $100
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/squier-bullet-strat-with-tremolo
If you dont care about brand name, you can get a strat copy for $60-80 on ebay. Don't let guitar snobs tell you Squires are bad, they are fine.

Digital modeling pedal so you don't have to live with only a few tones.
Rp55 $50
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DigiTech-RP55-Multi-Effects-Pedal-Authorized-Dealer-Neals-Music-/151526529834?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2347af5b2a

Then a 15,30,50 watt amp.
here's a line 6 30 watt for $134
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Line-6-Spider-II-30-Amplifier-Combo-Electric-Guitar-Amp-30-Watt-1x12-/271724368978?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f4408d452

Then first lesson is don't crack everything up to max it will sound like crap. Dial everything in and use the knobs and pedal to shape the sound.
^ why would you buy a digital modelling amp and then spend more money on a digital modelling pedal? You're telling him not to waste his money on a better guitar (which is debatable, I suppose, but personally I wouldn't want to cheap out too much on the guitar), but then telling him to waste what little money he has on something redundant (which isn't).

kind of the lazy choice, but a yamaha pacifica 112 is hard to go wrong with if the budget isn't that high. pretty versatile, and pretty decent considering its price.

probably one of the better modelling amps- peavey vypyr, vox valvetronix, higher-wattage roland cubes, etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 20, 2015,
+Squier's aren't exactly bad (love my MIM squier) but the lower end ones definitely isn't something you'd call decent at all. And less than $100 guitars on ebay...wouldn't go anywhere near one unless I've played it and even then there's room for suspicion.
Isn't this the point where someone recommends an Agile or something?

I don't have anything definitive to say except along the vein of what dannyalcatraz said, save more money. This isn't the 1980's anymore where $300 was a lot of money and my personal feeling is, that won't get you very far. If that was your budget for just the guitar, I think you might be able to do ok for yourself on used guitar but that leaves you without amp and all that stuff.

My first guitar was hideously made. After about a year, the bridge literally self destructed when I tried to use the whammy. (It was pot metal or something and it just crumbled into dust. WHAM! No guitar.) It's not about buying the most expensive thing out there, but if you can't make a decent initial investment, I don't think you're going to be happy with the results as cheap instruments have all the problems listed previous. In addition, if you are a "flipper" and don't hold onto the instrument for sentimental reasons, really cheap instruments can't really be sold for much to put towards your next step up.

Sorry. THis post wasn't as helpful as I would have liked. But if you can save up 4-500, do your pricing research online and buy used, I think you'll be in a much better position. Get a part time job, take back bottles, save instead of spending. Every little bit helps.
Get a headphone rig pocketpod Or boss micro BR. They offer up a lot of sounds and they let you practice in peace. Cheap look what you can find used locally. I picked up a used Ibanez Artist for 300 such a sweet ax. I tried out a used Xavier it played excellent and was going for 175. Seen higher end squiers go slightly used for under 200.
Quote by Arron_Zacx
+Squier's aren't exactly bad (love my MIM squier) but the lower end ones definitely isn't something you'd call decent at all.

Don't mistake "you" with "I". Your experience doesn't equal everybody else's.

This is what I'm talking about. Don't listen to these kinds of people, they always come out when anyone mentions a squire. Squires are fine, I've gigged with squires over the years and have seen many great player play squires as well. They are great for traveling and stage work. Don't let anyone tell you you have to spend a lot of money on a guitar. There's always going to be people who will be enjoying music at a show, and then once they see the label on the performers gear, all of a sudden they no longer enjoy it and scoff.

The best advice is to go to a store and try one out yourself, if your experienced enough you can make anything sound good. If your not, ask an employee to play it for you.

Quote by Dave_Mc
^ why would you buy a digital modelling amp and then spend more money on a digital modelling pedal? You're telling him not to waste his money on a better guitar (which is debatable, I suppose, but personally I wouldn't want to cheap out too much on the guitar), but then telling him to waste what little money he has on something redundant (which isn't).

kind of the lazy choice, but a yamaha pacifica 112 is hard to go wrong with if the budget isn't that high. pretty versatile, and pretty decent considering its price.

probably one of the better modelling amps- peavey vypyr, vox valvetronix, higher-wattage roland cubes, etc.

Yep, any guitar will do as long as it has good intonation, straight neck, working tuners and a good signal. The Pacifica is good too and can be found for $60-90 used, same as a Squire. here's an example
http://www.musicgoroundcolumbiamo.com/p/258710/used-yamaha-pacifica-red

If you live near a Music Go Round, I say go there, they have really good prices.

The most important thing is the amp though, since that is where the sound is coming from. I recommend that one cause it has a good 12" speaker that sounds good on clean. I used to have one at my practice studio. I layer effects onto the clean channel to get the sound I want. Dave do I really have to explain why a multi fx pedal is better than limited onboard eq and effects? Purchase the amp first obviously, then get the pedal after you save up some more.

My recommendations are for Clapton, Beatles style that you mentioned James, not so much Metallica, maybe their lighter songs but I don't play heavy rock like them.
If you live near a Music Go Round, I say go there, they have really good prices.

And occasionally, killer gear! To this day, I regret not buying at least one of the Hagstroms or Gretsches my local M-G-R had before closing down. (They also do sales via the Internet, too, FWIW.)

Quote by jcarlos007

Yep, any guitar will do as long as it has good intonation, straight neck, working tuners and a good signal. The Pacifica is good too and can be found for $60-90 used, same as a Squire. here's an example
http://www.musicgoroundcolumbiamo.com/p/258710/used-yamaha-pacifica-red

The most important thing is the amp though, since that is where the sound is coming from. I recommend that one cause it has a good 12" speaker that sounds good on clean. I used to have one at my practice studio. I layer effects onto the clean channel to get the sound I want. Dave do I really have to explain why a multi fx pedal is better than limited onboard eq and effects? Purchase the amp first obviously, then get the pedal after you save up some more.

My recommendations are for Clapton, Beatles style that you mentioned James, not so much Metallica, maybe their lighter songs but I don't play heavy rock like them.

I just think it's a bit of a waste of money when he's already on a tight budget. that money might be better put into a better guitar or amp. But yeah depending on the amp, as you said, you have a lot of the features on the amp but it's not always that easy to switch between them on the fly unless you fork out for the footswitch (which probably isn't any cheaper than the multi-fx you mentioned). though if you know you're going to pay for a multi-fx it might be cheaper to get a more basic (but good-sounding) solid state amp without all the amp models and effects. that might save a little.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
So now the only thing that I need is a guitar. I plan on using the ampeg bass amp I have for my bass I bought sooo...