Hey all, my name's Joey and I'm from Austin, Texas. I have been playing guitar for around three years. I know this question has probably been asked hundreds of times; What is the best amp for high gain situations? I'm aiming for a Dimebag Darrell or Down tone. I'm currently running a Fender Modern Player Plus Tele with a Duncan Invader in the bridge. The amp I'm working with is a 80s Peavey Mace Series with a Behringer Ultra Metal pedal. I plan to soon get a Jackson Soloist with EMGs (81/85). I have narrowed down my top three interests to Marshall, Orange, and Randall. The issue is, my price range is around a maximum of $1500. If anyone can help me decide on a manufacturer and a model, I would appreciate it.
Randall RM50/100 then grab yourself a couple modules or have them made by either jaded faith or salvation mods and you will be set for a long while. There is an RM50 combo on GC used right now for $199. My guess is it does not have the modules with it. Are you looking for combo or head/cab?
There are a lot of great high gain amps out there and $1500 is a pretty decent budget.
Mesa's are well worth the look. For your budget you could afford a Mark V.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Thanks! I'm looking for a head/cab setup. I'll definitely check out that Randall. I'm not very experiened with the in-depth working of amps and pedals and such. I'm mostly a plug in and play kind of guy.
$1500 will get you a really excellent amp. I would hardly call that an issue. Though I cant really make a accurate suggestion for an amp, since I was never really into Dime and dont know his tone well. But i do believe he played solid state Randall amps. The RM would probably be a good choice and give you plenty of other options down the line if your preferences change.

Edit: you could get it in head form and get a cab to go with it. Not sure which speakers he prefered though.
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Last edited by Watterboy at Dec 9, 2014,
After researching the Randall RM100 more, I'm not sure I like the whole module thing. It appears that the modules are a bit expensive and unreliable. I'm basically searching for a two channel amp. I don't really want to fiddle around with the little stuff, I just want to plug in, turn the knobs how I like, and play.
Quote by joeyrussell15
After researching the Randall RM100 more, I'm not sure I like the whole module thing. It appears that the modules are a bit expensive and unreliable. I'm basically searching for a two channel amp. I don't really want to fiddle around with the little stuff, I just want to plug in, turn the knobs how I like, and play.

The peavey 6505+ is probably king in terms of being able to plug in and get a great high gain tone right out of the box. It has more than enough gain for anything, and you should be able to also afford a tubescreamer to refine it and a decent 4x12. I dont know what speakers to recommend for dimebag, but typically v30s are a great match for the 6505.
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Look into Kranks, particularly the Krankenstein and Rev. Dime finished his career with them, albeit they aren't on any of his recordings. They are good for the Dime tone regardless, and sound good for other metal as well. You can get them cheap used. I recommend trying the Krank cabs with them, they are loaded with Eminence Texas Heats, a good match.

Also look into the Randall Century 100/200, the Randall RG100ES or any older RG, the Randall Warhead, Dimes signature head (he only used it for the clean channel live but it has his tone as well as a lot of other great sounds).
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
dime and down's tone are totally different. for dime drop $100 and get a RG100ES that functions well (I have bought and sold three).

down used a lot of marshalls and at some times an orange. down had predominate mids while Dime scooped the. dime was all SS until krank, down was always tube IIRC. kirk and pepper also tuned a little bit lower (C#std on NOLA for sure but i don't remember after that.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
i should have mentioned that i have a mint century 100 combo.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Do any of you have experience with the Randall RG3003H with a RG212 speaker?Looks like the type of the amp I can gel with.
Quote by joeyrussell15
Do any of you have experience with the Randall RG3003H with a RG212 speaker?Looks like the type of the amp I can gel with.

POS is what it is
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by diabolical
Look up Engl amps, maybe out of your price range but used should be around there.
I'd suggest EVH 5150 or Peavey 6505 heafds, with EVH cab, probably 2x12 is enough.

Why would you suggest a 120 watt head with a 60 watt cab?

I mean come on man.............
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If you're after Dime like tone, look for a Krank Rev or a Krankenstein
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Robbgnarly
Why would you suggest a 120 watt head with a 60 watt cab?

I mean come on man.............

1st - did I sway he should get the 100 watt head?

2nd - where did I specify a 60 watt cab exactly?

My 2x12 is 140 watts.
Peavey doesn't have a 60 watt 5150/6505 head without pulling some power tubes and the EVH 212 cab is only 60 watts.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by diabolical
1st - did I sway he should get the 100 watt head?

2nd - where did I specify a 60 watt cab exactly?

My 2x12 is 140 watts.

You said 6505 and a 2x12 EVH cab. The EVH 2x12 has G12h30's in it, see:

I'd suggest EVH 5150 or Peavey 6505 heads, with EVH cab, probably 2x12 is enough

Your 2x12 doesn't have 30watt speakers does it.

I was pointing it out so TS doesn't make a mistake
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Dec 9, 2014,
Quote by diabolical
OK, but he can get the 50 watt head or different speaker. I figured might as well do some homework on impedance and wattage matching, or we should do that for him as well?

Yes he can, but you didn't suggest the 5153 mini

Not trying to be a dick, but be more specific, because most people asking questions don't know or they wouldn't be asking questions.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by joeyrussell15

Unreliable? I haven't found that. I use an RM100 combo and an RM100 head and am buying an RM20. I've broken the pots on two modules but that was due to a fall that would have busted anything. It was very easy to repair.
They can get expensive though, I've spent well over $1k on modules alone but the sound was worth the expense. A lot of people get intimidated by them but there's no real reason for it, they're very simple to drive. And the power amp is a dream, any idiot can bias them and because they have individual bias on every power tube, no need for matched tubes. Too easy. All done from the back panel.
They're a good solid MIA pro amp.

With your budget though - 6505+
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A